Ltd Hetfield Snakebyte...Indonesia shocker

Way to read my line about just because YOU haven’t personally heard it, doesn’t mean it’s not being said.
Can you show me a thread, video or anything where a big name producer, mixer, engineer etc. says something about Glenn?

Can you show me a thread, video or anything where a big name producer, mixer, engineer etc. says something about Glenn?

Even if I knew where to look exactly, why would I do that? In all actuality, why would that even come up? Why would somebody, let’s say, interviewing a “big name” engineer or producer, ask that big name producer or engineer about glenn fricker? Like think about that for a second. Or why would someone publicly bash someone? All that would do is hurt their own career, even if what they said is right.

Even if I knew where to look exactly, why would I do that? In all actuality, why would that even come up? Why would somebody, let’s say, interviewing a “big name” engineer or producer, ask that big name producer or engineer about glenn fricker? Like think about that for a second. Or why would someone publicly bash someone? All that would do is hurt their own career, even if what they said is right.
So none of em' hasn't even talked about Glenn and Glenn's not a laughing stock of the pro audio world?

Cuz he's right.

Definitely not right. Take two guitars that are the same model but with different body. Get a set of pickups and only one set, and put them in one guitar and then the other. When everything is the exact same but the body wood, and it sounds different, why is that? You don’t think the difference in sound has anything to do with the wood? What is the reason for the variation in tone?

I think due to the large amount of videos fricker releases he could not even have time to record an album. He spends all his time filming, spewing nonsense, and editing.

Definitely not right. Take two guitars that are the same model but with different body. Get a set of pickups and only one set, and put them in one guitar and then the other. When everything is the exact same but the body wood, and it sounds different, why is that? You don’t think the difference in sound has anything to do with the wood? What is the reason for the variation in tone?

I think due to the large amount of videos fricker releases he could not even have time to record an album. He spends all his time filming, spewing nonsense, and editing.
Glenn did exactly that and there wasn't any difference.

Naw man… you don’t get it. Glenn is a pro, and definitely highly regarded in regards to engineering records.

Despite his master plan to finally dispel the great tone wood controversy, the company that Fricker contracted to build two identical guitars (apart from the wood selection) appears to think otherwise:

https://www.charbonneauguitars.net/wood-library/

Breaking news: a nobody failed engineer YouTube personality systemically dismantles every major successful guitar company in the world from his bedroom on YouTube: more at 11.

Glenn Fricker knows some cool stuff about recording for beginners and he knows a little bit about guitar from a relative beginners perspective, but not enough to be an authority on the kinds of stuff being talked about in this thread.

I mean, have you heard him play? He can barely scratch out a few barre chords and has trouble even palm muting consistently. Anybody with that level of skill has no business speaking as any kind of authority about wood and how it impacts guitar tone because the difference between woods is something you feel at least as much as you hear. If you're an amateur player, which he is, there's no way you're going to be able to feel that, or even really know what to look and listen for, much less express that in a useful way, so of course he's going to think it's all the same, in the same way a hack painter is going to think Hunter Green, Emerald Green, Seaweed Green, or Forest Green, is "all just Green so it doesn't matter, they're all the same."

Different kinds of wood absolutely makes a difference. However, the difference is not often light years apart. I haven't heard a cut of wood that turns a strat into a Les Paul, for example. But dude, all you have to do is A/B a telecaster made of Alder and one made of Pine to start to get it. Even if two different guitars might sound almost the same through an amp, the resonance of the wood as you play it will make the experience different for you, the player. Some woods are similar and simply make different guitars feel different to play. Others impact the sound in a more direct and measurable way you can hear. Any good player knows that. Somebody like Glenn, who constantly has "guest players" on his channel for a reason, really has no business proclaiming otherwise.

Yeah Glenn is a weird guy and his resume isn't something that I would consider impressive. But saying stuff doesn't matter like tubes is stupid. It's like saying pickups don't matter. Pretty much everything in your signal chain matters. Will it translate your experience in the room, under your fingers to what you are hearing through the same SM57 and same recording technique? Maybe not.

Videos like that are just to stir up controversy and get clicks. This is the same guy that does sponsored vids about mobile games where he says word for word what another youtuber says for the same game "I can't believe the detail in these Champions!"

The only conclusion to draw then, is Glenn just doesn't have a very good ear. Everything matters in the tone chain..........EVERYTHING.
Amp
Tubes
Type(design) of speaker cab
Speaker type
Cables...yes changing cables can alter your tone.
String Gauge
Guitar wood(body and neck)
Pickups
Bridge
Nut
Pedals(if any used)

I'm probably forgetting something in the chain....My Charvel obsession is a perfect example of the differences in THE SAME MODEL SAME WOOD guitars....I've gone through 20 something USA 08/09 Charvel SD/Pro Mods to find 2 that are just killer players, with very good tone. Each of these guitars I swapped in an MCP Afwayu to play and compare....keep in mind these guitars ALL have maple necks and Alder bodies. All with Floyds..
Each guitar sounded different from the others...subtle yes but the differences were obvious.
So...same wood combination in all 20 (Alder + Maple) same bridge/nut, same pickup I installed in each of them. I always had 2 of these at the same time...Some were just fantastic sounding but stiff to play...others kinda dead/not resonant but killer players.
But they all had tonal differences....even with the same exact ingredients.
Again, same type of guitar, same wood combos, same bridge and one pickup to go into each.

Glenn Fricker knows some cool stuff about recording for beginners and he knows a little bit about guitar from a relative beginners perspective, but not enough to be an authority on the kinds of stuff being talked about in this thread.

I mean, have you heard him play? He can barely scratch out a few barre chords and has trouble even palm muting consistently. Anybody with that level of skill has no business speaking as any kind of authority about wood and how it impacts guitar tone because the difference between woods is something you feel at least as much as you hear. If you're an amateur player, which he is, there's no way you're going to be able to feel that, or even really know what to look and listen for, much less express that in a useful way, so of course he's going to think it's all the same, in the same way a hack painter is going to think Hunter Green, Emerald Green, Seaweed Green, or Forest Green, is "all just Green so it doesn't matter, they're all the same."

Different kinds of wood absolutely makes a difference. However, the difference is not often light years apart. I haven't heard a cut of wood that turns a strat into a Les Paul, for example. But dude, all you have to do is A/B a telecaster made of Alder and one made of Pine to start to get it. Even if two different guitars might sound almost the same through an amp, the resonance of the wood as you play it will make the experience different for you, the player. Some woods are similar and simply make different guitars feel different to play. Others impact the sound in a more direct and measurable way you can hear. Any good player knows that. Somebody like Glenn, who constantly has "guest players" on his channel for a reason, really has no business proclaiming otherwise.
Glenn has quests playing on that video and he or i never claimed that woods feel different to play. It's the amplified sound that stays consistent.

That’s strange, because when I have done it in the past there was a difference, and it want minor at all. I will trust my results over his. By the way, I had a maple body ESP strat and an Alder body, everything was the same except body. Major difference in feel and sound.
Did you test those two bodies with the exact same strings, pickups, hardware, neck etc. Or did you use two different guitars which have same specs on a paper?
Yeah Glenn is a weird guy and his resume isn't something that I would consider impressive. But saying stuff doesn't matter like tubes is stupid. It's like saying pickups don't matter. Pretty much everything in your signal chain matters. Will it translate your experience in the room, under your fingers to what you are hearing through the same SM57 and same recording technique? Maybe not.

Videos like that are just to stir up controversy and get clicks. This is the same guy that does sponsored vids about mobile games where he says word for word what another youtuber says for the same game "I can't believe the detail in these Champions!"
There's a huge difference in how pickups affect the sound vs wood. Also recording it and comparing tracks with different body woods blindly gets rid of the confirmation bias that a lot of people have when it comes to tonewood.

Glenn has quests playing on that video and he or i never claimed that woods feel different to play. It's the amplified sound that stays consistent.

With the overwhelming choice of pickups on the market, tons of gain stages, input eq shaping, compression, or whatever, then yes I think you can make just about any guitar cover huge swathes of tonal ground before it even hits the amp. The end of the chain of an amplified guitar can honestly be made to sound just about however you want with the technology available today. Even then, however, different woods are going to sound different if the signal isn't processed to hell and back (not that processing a guitar to hell and back is a bad thing on its face, sometimes it's great, but you get what I mean).

But no amount of technology can take a guitar that sounds knocky, honky, or "plasticy" when it resonates and transform it into something that naturally sustains well and feels solid and in your hands. And any internet tough guy who says "that doesn't matter because I only rock out at top volume" is full of shit, frankly.

You're not always going to be playing a guitar amplified on a stage with great natural feedback. Sometimes you're going to just sit there and fiddle around with it while watching TV. Sometimes you're going to be plugged in but the volume is going to be turned down low. The wood is resting against the player's body and they can hear the natural acoustic resonances of it when they play. It matters. It influences the feedback loop of how you hear yourself play. Most people might not even think about it but when they play, they're usually not at stadium levels and end up hearing a blend of their amplified signal and the acoustic resonances of their guitar.

It matters.

Last edited:
With the overwhelming choice of pickups on the market, tons of gain stages, input eq shaping, compression, or whatever, then yes I think you can make just about any guitar cover huge swathes of tonal ground before it even hits the amp. The end of the chain of an amplified guitar can honestly be made to sound just about however you want with the technology available today. Even then, however, different woods are going to sound different if the signal isn't processed to hell and back (not that processing a guitar to hell and back is a bad thing on its face, sometimes it's great, but you get what I mean).

But no amount of technology can take a guitar that sounds knocky, honky, or "plasticy" when it resonates and transform it into something that naturally sustains well and feels solid and in your hands. And any internet tough guy who says "that doesn't matter because I only rock out at top volume" is full of shit, frankly.

You're not always going to be playing a guitar amplified. Sometimes you're going to just sit there and fiddle around with it while watching TV. Sometimes you're going to be plugged in but the volume is going to be turned down low. The wood is resting against the player's body and they can hear the natural acoustic resonances of it when they play. It matters. It influences the feedback loop of how you hear yourself play. Most people might not even think about it but when they play, they're usually not at stadium levels and end up hearing a blend of their amplified signal and the acoustic resonances of their guitar.

It matters.
Glenn is talking about the amplified sound here, not the acoustic sound of the instrument which is ofc affected by the wood. Plus Glenn doesn't process the guitar tracks usually. Instead he tries to get it right at the source.

The fact that acoustically different wood types offer different resonance and sound when played without an amp probably affects the way how amplified sounds are heard, hence the psychoacoustic effect.

On acoustic guitars for example, wood plays a huge role as it play in speaker cabinets.

Back