Lynch 1989-90

That Fender amp is a Rivera era Super Champ, rumored to be what Di Martini cut his leads on Out of the Cellar with. GREAT amps ! They have plenty of gain and a great snarl, and a cool stinging quality. They’re pretty collectible too. Especially the ones with the factory EV speaker and the oak cabinet.
What do you think about that weird preamp tube Rivera used? Fearing I couldn't source one if in need of replacement is what has always scared me off the Super Champs.

6175398521_46d556ebf7.jpg

AvYoOL94L03jeQAz_saPihcdqlbK-yjJ63Dy54jAx__69UIbPT0q2xTINBnbVqMc1MqlizwFmXixEPBlRhOMR9bXLU3ixwL4Y7n1x6MayW9-BDNhrpTtrzDP2l-Ch6z7mEaabGLU8dE

georgelynch.jpg

First saw him/Dokken live in 1982' playing out of three 100 watt heads & five 4x12 cabs in a medium size club.
Loved him then, love him now.
He has stood the test of time and remained true to himself & his brand.

6175398521_46d556ebf7.jpg

AvYoOL94L03jeQAz_saPihcdqlbK-yjJ63Dy54jAx__69UIbPT0q2xTINBnbVqMc1MqlizwFmXixEPBlRhOMR9bXLU3ixwL4Y7n1x6MayW9-BDNhrpTtrzDP2l-Ch6z7mEaabGLU8dE

georgelynch.jpg

First saw him/Dokken live in 1982' playing out of three 100 watt heads & five 4x12 cabs in a medium size club.
Loved him then, love him now.
He has stood the test of time and remained true to himself & his brand.
Stayed true to everything except his band name :p.

For any critics, let’s not forget the man is 67 yo. Icon, legend, the MAN back in the day period. For me it was Randy, George and EVH..not necessarily in that order. As soon as I heard Ratt I thought ahh, he’s copying Lynch’s vibrato. I bought Dokken records because I wanted to hear George period.

For any critics, let’s not forget the man is 67 yo. Icon, legend, the MAN back in the day period. For me it was Randy, George and EVH..not necessarily in that order. As soon as I heard Ratt I thought ahh, he’s copying Lynch’s vibrato. I bought Dokken records because I wanted to hear George period.
Yeah man, I think most of us agree on what a legend George is for sure. After Randy passed, and EVH started getting more into keyboards and whatnot, George really took the torch and with Dokken became THE breakout hero of the mid to late 80's for that style of playing. It was George, Warren, and Jake really at that point, and all 3 brought it in a big way but I always put George at the top. I remember looking for a Charvel after reading in the liner notes of Tooth and Nail that he used Charvels at that point, I still have it to this day, an 84 tiger stripe (not really a bengal pattern like his guitars, but as a kid I still felt like I was channeling some George through it!)

And all of us who saw him back in the day and then over the years know...even by his own admission, he never played stuff consistently live. And when he was off, it could be a bit of a mess. But when he was on....I'll use the word again, untouchable. I think Jeff Pilson made a similar remark not too long ago as well. One of the coolest things I got to do was shoot the breeze with George a few years ago for awhile over a gear transaction, just me and him talking like regular gear heads. He was funny as heck, telling me stories of the old Dokken days and it was just a cool vibe. So he's still the MAN to me...even if I can't connect with what he's been doing musically for a long time.

I think all we're talking about is how the legends who are still with us and still playing are doing these days. Vai does a crazy one handed thing recently and you can't help but give the thumbs up, and he's 60 if we're talking age. Paul Gilbert's younger at 54, but decides he wants to play slide recently and it is crazy good. Doesn't change George's legacy for me one bit, or respect that he's still out there playing, and obviously he has always been a very different player than a Steve or Paul. But the difference is that most stuff he posts these days (and for a while really) doesn't click for me like those examples. And I don't think age has been as big a factor as how he is choosing to do things like dial in tone, as Kapo said how he is choosing to pick, etc.

I just think he's in a different headspace and honestly that goes back into the mid to late 90's when he was trying to adapt to the times. And yet again, on any given night the old George can appear. I remember seeing him in the early 2000's opening for Yngwie, and while I would always catch George live when I could, I had felt for awhile that his best days might be gone. Couldn't be more wrong, he was ON that night...easily as good as his late 80's/early 90's "peak".

Yeah man, I think most of us agree on what a legend George is for sure. After Randy passed, and EVH started getting more into keyboards and whatnot, George really took the torch and with Dokken became THE breakout hero of the mid to late 80's for that style of playing. It was George, Warren, and Jake really at that point, and all 3 brought it in a big way but I always put George at the top. I remember looking for a Charvel after reading in the liner notes of Tooth and Nail that he used Charvels at that point, I still have it to this day, an 84 tiger stripe (not really a bengal pattern like his guitars, but as a kid I still felt like I was channeling some George through it!)

And all of us who saw him back in the day and then over the years know...even by his own admission, he never played stuff consistently live. And when he was off, it could be a bit of a mess. But when he was on....I'll use the word again, untouchable. I think Jeff Pilson made a similar remark not too long ago as well. One of the coolest things I got to do was shoot the breeze with George a few years ago for awhile over a gear transaction, just me and him talking like regular gear heads. He was funny as heck, telling me stories of the old Dokken days and it was just a cool vibe. So he's still the MAN to me...even if I can't connect with what he's been doing musically for a long time.

I think all we're talking about is how the legends who are still with us and still playing are doing these days. Vai does a crazy one handed thing recently and you can't help but give the thumbs up, and he's 60 if we're talking age. Paul Gilbert's younger at 54, but decides he wants to play slide recently and it is crazy good. Doesn't change George's legacy for me one bit, or respect that he's still out there playing, and obviously he has always been a very different player than a Steve or Paul. But the difference is that most stuff he posts these days (and for a while really) doesn't click for me like those examples. And I don't think age has been as big a factor as how he is choosing to do things like dial in tone, as Kapo said how he is choosing to pick, etc.

I just think he's in a different headspace and honestly that goes back into the mid to late 90's when he was trying to adapt to the times. And yet again, on any given night the old George can appear. I remember seeing him in the early 2000's opening for Yngwie, and while I would always catch George live when I could, I had felt for awhile that his best days might be gone. Couldn't be more wrong, he was ON that night...easily as good as his late 80's/early 90's "peak".
His vids pop up on my instagram..just him jamming. Some brilliant moments and then some total fuckery what the hell is he doing stuff. But I guess that's the magic. He just jams on weird shapes and phrasing and always adds that crazy legato at the end of phrases which is his signature. No question when you hear him hit the first few notes, you know it is him. Pretty awesome to be able to say that. You can't say that with a lot of the guys today. They are all brilliant but all sort of sound the same. To me the guys that you instantly recognize are the gods. Nuno, Schenker,Gilbert,Malmsteen... 2 -3 notes in and you know who is playing. (Malmsteen is more like 20+ notes in but it is so fast you hear it as one smear lol)

For the record I'm as big of a Lynch fan as there is.
I have met him many times.
Seen him probably atleast 20 times.
If he would just be himself instead of trying to be different or reinvent the guitar I think it would be much more pleasurable music !
Same with amps !
He brings all this shit on the road and so many signals ect it gets too muddy !
He used to sound better !
When I saw him with Schenker years ago Schenkers tone was wU better !.
He used a jam 800 and a few pedals.
Lynch had like 3 heads and a bunch of shit .
Less is more !

If he would just be himself instead of trying to be different or reinvent the guitar I think it would be much more pleasurable music !
Same with amps !
Less is more !
Schenker is just one of those guys... a 2205, a TS-anything , a wah, and two delays and he will take you to heaven night after night. That guy is just something else.

George was and still is my biggest influence, even though I haven't been into any of his recorded stuff since the solo Sacred Groove album in 93, and some parts of Dysfunctional back with Dokken in 95. Classic Dokken and Lynch Mob era are some of the best examples of 80's shred with tons of style and killer riffage. You could always tell it was George playing, he really had his own (and extremely cool) identity in an ocean of shredders.

George has never been a consistent player live even back in the glory days. But when he was "on" he was pretty untouchable, and as others have said, even in more recent times he can still bring it some nights. His tone is not helping, he's made for high gain...I'd like to hear him just dial back in a straight-forward metal tone, and no more phaser or effects weirdness. I know he likes to experiment and try different things, and I totally get that as an artist you want to explore things creatively. And awesome if that gives him an outlet for expression. But personally I miss the old George, and not just the lead stuff but also all the old great riffs. Maybe the well is a bit dry at this point, but again, his all around playing was just killer back in the day.
Maybe I’m the odd man here, but one of the things that I always loved about Lynch, is his lower gain tone. Compared to other players back then, his tone was clean and articulate. There was no hiding behind a wall of gain with him. Same goes for Paul Gilbert, in my opinion

Same with amps !
Less is more !
Lately all he’s using is a vintage 50w JMP NMV and some pedals.

My friend even tried to help him with the switching mess he had going .
He said all the cords pedals and switching was a mess.
He had 3 heads.

Back