MacBook for Recording?

If you want to be able to keep the OS reasonably-up-to-date, you'll need to go Apple Silicon.

IOW, M1, M2, M3 or the upcoming M4.

That's all I know on that matter.

If you're willing to live with incompatibilities, you can always pick up a 5-10 year-old model on-the-cheap and should still have enough power to run dozens of tracks and FX.

Unless you are tracking Wintersun’s next album, this 16GB/512GB Macbook discounted on Amazon should serve you well.
I went the Amazon discount route and have been pretty happy with mine.

I went with an 8GB/256GB and I get by ok with it. I have to be mindful of keeping my hard drive clean, which isn't a huge deal with external storage. I also have occasional issues running logic if I have a ton of plug-ins going. That being said, I'm able to write/record everything I need to fairly easily, but I wish I'd spent a little more on a 16/256.

I'll probably upgrade next year.

I'm still rocking an old Macbook with the intel processor and Logic Pro X. Seems to work fine, maybe someday I'll have to upgrade but not for a while, and it was half the price of an M2 at the time. That said, I have nothing installed on it at all besides Logic so it's super clean, nothing to slow it down. If it had to function as my main/only computer then I'd be more interested in an upgrade.

You'll probably get high spec M1s (ultra etc) at discounted prices now that the M3 is out.
16gb and 512gb drive, more if you're using instrument libraries

MacBook Air with an M chip and at least 16GB Ram. The Airs have smaller hard drives but you can get by with an external for extra space.

Thanks for the advice! I ordered this one......

Apple 2024 MacBook Air 15-inch Laptop with M3 chip: 15.3-inch Liquid Retina Display, 16GB Unified Memory, 512GB SSD Storage, Backlit Keyboard, 1080p FaceTime HD Camera, Touch ID; Midnight​

How much that run

Thanks for the advice! I ordered this one......

Apple 2024 MacBook Air 15-inch Laptop with M3 chip: 15.3-inch Liquid Retina Display, 16GB Unified Memory, 512GB SSD Storage, Backlit Keyboard, 1080p FaceTime HD Camera, Touch ID; Midnight​

That's plenty of computer for recording.

Back