Marshall 1960b with celestion g12h30's

Mindys87

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about buying Marshall 1960b cab, take out 75's and put in g12h30's, because i don't think i need 300w power and i like how my evh 2x12 sound with g12's. Noob question. My evh 2x12 is 16ohm and speakers inside are 8ohms. Is it the same in Marshall 4x12 cab? It's rated as 16ohm mono, so are the speakers inside are 8ohms like in evh? Or is it different in 4x12? Sorry, never had it.

What kind of Music do you play?
On the heavier side. O love metallica, 80's thrash tones, also alice in chains. Overall i like tight tone, i have orange ppc212 with v30's and i fight with it more than i like it. Evh with g12h30's sound much better to me. I tried to put them in orange, but still orange doesn't sound good to me, very dark sounding cab. I think i'm more on a marshall side.

On the heavier side. O love metallica, 80's thrash tones, also alice in chains. Overall i like tight tone, i have orange ppc212 with v30's and i fight with it more than i like it. Evh with g12h30's sound much better to me. I tried to put them in orange, but still orange doesn't sound good to me, very dark sounding cab. I think i'm more on a marshall side.
I have a Marshall 1960BHW which comes with the Heritage G12H30's. It's a Great Cab for Hard Rock but not so much for Modern Metal.

As stated before you’ll want four 16 ohm or four 8 ohm.

For example using four 16 ohm speakers, you will want to wire two in series to get 32 ohm (- + - +), do it again for the second pair. Last you will then wire those sets you’ve created in parallel to bring it back to 16 ohm (32 in parallel with 32 makes 16). Outside minuses get soldered together to the sleeve input jack, outside plus’s get soldered together at the tip of the cabinet input Jack.

Thanks for answers! What do you guys think about creamback's 75w? If i would put them in my evh 2x12 instead. Are there a lot of difference from v30's tonally? Some people say that they are like bigger g12h30's. So then i could use my 100w marshall dsl100 and Molecular. Now because of g12h30's low wattage i can use just 50 watter. In my opinion v30's are really not the best option for Marshall type of amps. Both Marshalls and these speakers have so much mids, that's overkill for me. I just can't enjoy playing through them. Always had my eyes on creambacks, but are they going to make much difference for these amps? Can't try anywhere, only to buy from abroad.

I have the G12h speakers, Greenbacks, V30, Mesa V30 but nothing beats the Mesa Black Shadow for my taste.
It is sharp, well balanced and don't colors the amp's sound.

So, this morning i unscrewed both my 2x12 cabinets (evh and orange), tooks out the speakers. I had one extra g12t75 and I put it together with v30 in my evh cabinet. Both my 100w Marshall and Molecular sounds much better now. In orange I've put v30 and g12h30, but still I didn't like it, orange is so one dimensional, very dark sounding and doesn't matter what speaker is inside, that cab is just has it's own sound that's very hard to get rid of. I was fighting with it for a long time, thinking that other speakers can make it to sound different. Evh is much more balanced, the walls are thinner, more like a Marshall cabinet. I liked two g12h30's in it, but now it sounds much better when I paired 75 and v30. Not as much low end, but now it's much easier to tweak eq on the amp to make it sound good and when I play in the room at the same volume levels my ears doesn't bleed from the low end. And big plus is that now I can play both my head's because of bigger wattage.

I was thinking about getting an attenuator. What you guys think about two notes torpedo captor 16ohms? As I understand I need to match the impedance of the cabinet?

Right now my favorite speaker combo is 75 watt creambacks and vintage 30's 16ohm
I also have 8ohm creambacks.
I prefer the 16 ohm ones.

Back