Marshall 1960BV 4x12....looking for some honest opinions

DEWD

Wondering how this cab stacks up to a Mesa Stiletto/Traditional, Bogner straight, etc. I've owned almost every 4x12 out there except the Marshall which is the "standard". :doh: I'm just looking for some honest opinions on how they sound and not any internet bs about particle board back, all plastic hardware, yadda yadda. I'm only interested in the tone of the cabs. Are the Marshall V30's the same as the Mesa V30's? Thanks in advance.

i really dislike the newer run of the mill marshall cabs, i had a 1960A & BV I tried with many speaker combinations and was never really happy with how they sounded, mesas seem to have much tighter construction and for that reason I think their lows hold together better, the stiletto cab is of very similar dimensions so it's a good one to compare. The trad slant has a much deeper low end and fatter low mids because of its greater internal volume, this works really well with V30's

I currently have:
1-Mesa 4x12 Recto Traditional (now called Stiletto). V30's.
1-Mesa 2x12 Recto (V30's)
1-Marshall 1960AV (V30's)
1-Bogner FL Uberkab (V30/75)

So.
you wanna know bout the Guvnor eh?

ok.

JMGman69, can also fill you in, since that video of the Fortin Bones was through that cab.
not the B, but the A has a good spread. It's a bit bright, and very crunchy and loud.
It does sound different than the Mesa cabs, for sure.
mine is not brand new, and was a few years old when I got it, so has older speakers, as well.

Sometimes I find if it sounds bad in the Mesa, (cold, or funky in the mids) it will sound better through the Marshall. it has this upper mid and brightness thing that is sometimes good, but not always.
has nowhere near the bottom end of the Bogner, not even in the same category.
but miles above any regular 1960A with 75's.
they are pretty cheap used, so you could always just try one.

depends on the tone you are looking for.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to pair it with a JVM410H. More than anything I just want a matching cab for the JVM that sounds good. I've heard that amp sounds best with the 1960B vs the 1960BV but I don't know. I like a lot of thump in the low end and I need something that's tight and stays together at all vol levels though so maybe the Marshall cab's aren't for me. I have an EVH 5150III cab that sounds amazing with the JVM but it doesn't match. :D

Marshall cabs are the same basic design since the beginning, and frankly that is not the best design for super tight low end. Marshall cabs sound like Marshall cabs.

Cabs that have a fixed speaker baffle (eg Mesa, Bogner) will have a tighter sound.

It really boils down to what you are looking for.

As for me, I have nothing but Marshall cabs. :D

Good cab,good sounding but not great,nothing wrong with it though,i just can't get tight low end out of it,like i can with
my Mesa cabs,my Bogner is awsome for tight mids,and my 100 watt Marshall TV is all around awsome for gigs,cuts through the way i like it.And to be honest,i don't like how Marshall is just putting stuff out there,like Gibson,very little thought and on the high side for avg gear.

I've played one side by side with a V30 Bogner cab. No comparison really; the Bogner tore it to shreds. The Marshall was gritty and nasty sounding, and lacked any sort of depth. The Bogner, on the other hand, sounded like a cab.

Back