Marshall Effects Loops

Geo

I haven't owned a Marshal with an effects loop since my DSL50 years ago. The effects loop was terrible.

Are they any better now, on the newer models?

They haven't gotten any better than the DSL loop, but that loop was fine, I've used DSLs for over 15 years with a number of rack and pedal effects and never had an issue with the loop.

They haven't gotten any better than the DSL loop, but that loop was fine, I've used DSLs for over 15 years with a number of rack and pedal effects and never had an issue with the loop.
I found it to be very non trans parent even noisy.

I mean, it's not as good as a Friedman loop or something, but it isn't anywhere near as noisy or non-transparent if you're using it correctly, just like most modern loops.

Early passive inserts/loops has really high impedence sends that are awful.

I mean, it's not as good as a Friedman loop or something, but it isn't anywhere near as noisy or non-transparent if you're using it correctly, just like most modern loops.

Early passive inserts/loops has really high impedence sends that are awful.
Either they have improved in 20 years or I wasn't using correctly.

But any way you slice it, they should be as good as the others.

Whatever loop is used in the 2555x is fantastic. No tone suck/loss whatsoever. I think it's the same as what they put in the plexi RI. Much better than the insert loops from the 2205/10. The early 87 Jubilees also had the shitty loop. But they must have changed something with the later black tolex versions from 88-89 as they were great.

Reactions: Geo
Whatever loop is used in the 2555x is fantastic. No tone suck/loss whatsoever. I think it's the same as what they put in the plexi RI. Much better than the insert loops from the 2205/10. The early 87 Jubilees also had the shitty loop. But they must have changed something with the later black tolex versions from 88-89 as they were great.
I am glad to hear that, I have my eye on a 50w plexi RI.

I am glad to hear that, I have my eye on a 50w plexi RI.
The loop is completely useless in a plexi because when you turn a non master volume amp up you're distorting the pre and power amp sections.

If you need to use post effects with a plexi you have to either mod it to 2203/4 specs or load it and use a slave power amp.

I have a Fryette Power Station 100 I use for this purpose. Load the amp into it and use the PS100 loop.

Loop in a NVM amp, forget about it not going to work unless you run the amp clean (at which point you might as well run the effects out front)..

The loop is completely useless in a plexi because when you turn a non master volume amp up you're distorting the pre and power amp sections.

If you need to use post effects with a plexi you have to either mod it to 2203/4 specs or load it and use a slave power amp.

I have a Fryette Power Station 100 I use for this purpose. Load the amp into it and use the PS100 loop.

Loop in a NVM amp, forget about it not going to work unless you run the amp clean (at which point you might as well run the effects out front)..
Interesting, I never thought of that. I have a 100w Metro build and wish it had an effects loop. I was thinking of putting one in.

I have used a Hot Plate, ran out of the load into a Peavey 50/50 with a Lexicon MPX1 and it sounded great, but holy too much shit Batman.

I was looking to get a little more natural grind and put my reverb and delay through an effects loop. I guess not?

Interesting, I never thought of that. I have a 100w Metro build and wish it had an effects loop. I was thinking of putting one in.

I have used a Hot Plate, ran out of the load into a Peavey 50/50 with a Lexicon MPX1 and it sounded great, but holy too much shit Batman.

I was looking to get a little more natural grind and put my reverb and delay through an effects loop. I guess not?
Yeah, not.

What you were doing with the load/rack effects/power amp is the way to go but I agree it's a lot.

These days you have units like the Fryette Power Station or the BOSS Tube Amp Expander that does it in a single unit. I'd look into one of them and use with your Metro.

Yeah, not.

What you were doing with the load/rack effects/power amp is the way to go but I agree it's a lot.

These days you have units like the Fryette Power Station or the BOSS Tube Amp Expander that does it in a single unit. I'd look into one of them and use with your Metro.
Makes me realize why Friedman amps are so popular.

A 50 Friedman head may simplify the situation as well.

I am assuming that running digital effects through a Small Box effects loop would solve my problem as well.

Maybe it's time to put the Metro up for sale?

Makes me realize why Friedman amps are so popular.

A 50 Friedman head may simplify the situation as well.

I am assuming that running digital effects through a Small Box effects loop would solve my problem as well.

Maybe it's time to put the Metro up for sale?
Friedmans are great but very different from a cranked Plexi. Definitely a tighter, more modern and more polished tone. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, they're amazing amps. But definitely different tone and especially, feel.

Friedmans are great but very different from a cranked Plexi. Definitely a tighter, more modern and more polished tone. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, they're amazing amps. But definitely different tone and especially, feel.
I know what you are saying, I think the small box is still supposed get you a more vintagey kind of sound than the BE.

Quite honestly, the modern thing is not what I am into.

Last edited:
You tried it with a gate? I was always curious if it worked well with a zuul. Almost pulled the trigger on one.

I know what you are saying, I think the small box is still supposed get you a more vintagey kind of sound than the BE.

Quite honestly, the modern thing is not what I am into.
I would just slave it out to a wet cab, any decent power amp will work fine. Bray makes a 50$ line out box if you don't want to spend the 200 for the Suhr. Works great. Or as Billy said grab a Power Station.
The reissue Superlead I had was a Voodoo Jose mod. So the loop was fine, with the Jose master added.

I would just slave it out to a wet cab, any decent power amp will work fine. Bray makes a 50$ line out box if you don't want to spend the 200 for the Suhr. Works great. Or as Billy said grab a Power Station.
The reissue Superlead I had was a Voodoo Jose mod. So the loop was fine, with the Jose master added.
I guess I can add a master volume and an effects loop into my metro, would that do it?

The master volume kits are easy, the effects loop, not so much.

Back