Marshall power

Exo-metal

I know people mod everything under the sun but my question is can a 100 watt be modded efficiently to have more power by adding another set power tubes?

2 more tubes would make it 150 watts, but why would you need it ? The difference is only 3-6 db between a 50 and a 100 watt...

exo-metal":2dvs5603 said:
I know people mod everything under the hood but my question is can a 100 watt be modded efficiently to have more power by adding another set power tubes?
In a word, no
You would need a new power transformer to handle the extra current and the extra heater current needed.
You would need an output transformer rated for 150W and tweaked turns ratio for the correct impedance.

What would be a hell of a lot easier is to use our reactive load, Re-Amp that signal in to a nice big flat power amp as loud as you want.
Are you hoping it would have tighter bass response?
Whats the end game, what do you hope to achieve?

I was thinking I could use a jcm 800 and the irons off a vht 2150. I always loved the sounds after running into one but I never found myself using the other half of the amp. So I want to build a mono block for that purpose and yes, tighter bass response. I do not know of another tube amp that can keep the dynamic range when cranked. I don't need a stereo amp and nor do I want one. My idea seemed like a cool project...

Marshall made an amp back in the late 70s or early 80s called the 2000 series (no, not a DSL or TSL either) that ran 6 power tubes, had 2 channels (Super lead non master volume and a JCM 800 style Master Volume channel) that could be run seperately or combined...I had one, but sold it. Not a great sounding amp, but could be the basis of what you seek with some mods maybe, IF you can find one.

I may have found one but the owner wants bank for it. Not ideal since I only want to rip it apart. I won't give up yet...excellent suggestion btw, thanks! That amp just might be the best tube monoblock slave amp out there.

I had one years ago (an Anniversary edition in White tolex too), but it sounded shitty, so I sold it (I bought it off a kid in a music store parking lot when the store offered him $75.00 for it on a trade in, I paid $150...lol). I also had a Sound City Slave 120, just a big tube poweramp with a volume knob..and that's all. Hiwatt made slave amps too, with GREAT Partridge transformers and mil-spec wiring.

Back