Marshall SV20H vs SC20C

bvoshus

Looking at buying one of the 20w Studio Vintage (Plexi) Marshalls, it looks like the Combo versions are cheaper on the used market than the Head versions, talk me out of going the combo route and capitalizing on the free 10in V-Type

Also if you want to bash the amp and tell me to buy the 800 SC20h, I'm here for that too

That speaker doesn't sound very good, and you'll be constantly yearning for a good 12", or a pair. If that's not enough to talk you out of it then just get the combo!

I've got a 12' heritage greenback and a 12 creamback in other cabs I'll be able to plug into. I do dig the aesthetics and the smaller footprint of the head but can't seem to find them under $1200 like the Combos.

Did these just go up in price? I was looking at these not too long ago and I thought there were 1,599 - now they're 1,699 at Sweetwater.

When I had them both

To my ears the SC20 was just ok, the SV20 was amazing However, it was so unbearably loud. The waza neutered it fine for bedroom use but it became thin and not great. I could not find the balance from the full throttle percussive ear bleeding volume and bedroom volume. The Waza also made you use it's IR's and not one of the choices sounded as good as my cab

I have a sc20. The fx loop cuts the volume down by a lot. The tone or sound is really about the same so no big change there once you turn it up.
I a/b it with a couple other 800’s and I think it’s close. Main difference I hear is less bass out of the sc20. I chose this over the sv20 because I wanted something I could play at the house and not have the police called on me.

I have the Mini Jubilee/2x12 cab and I love it. Its been my main gigging amp since 2016. My only complaint is the channel switching, as the clean channel is a tiny bit louder. For that reason, I don't use it and roll my volume down and it cleans up very well. Its a great amp.

The SV20 is ridiculously loud. I had one, and hated it. It was mud city. And that was through a 4x12 cab. Even tried a PS-2 with it, and it sounded even shittier. I know I'm bashing, but its my honest opinion. Hated it. Loose and flabby.

Never tried the SC20, but had the 2525H. THAT'S a killer amp!

Had them both. At $1699 Marshall can shove them up their ass. Both were decent. Didn't have a favorite. Small sounding at best, IMO

I've used a 2204 for years and years and briefly played the SC20H and thought it was a pretty good approximation. They do seem a bit pricy new, but used it's not so bad particularly given the price people want for a 2204 or 2203 these days.

I would not get an SV20. I've not played one, but the whole concept of that amp makes no sense to me. Anyone looking at a Marshall would want it overdriving, but even at 20 watts it would be extremely loud, which seems counter to the whole point of a mini head.

I love my SC20. It has a bit more gain than the 2204 I have, and thicker mids (but that 2204 is 6550s, not EL34s). I can get plenty of low end out of the SC20, with moderate tightness, but my cab has good low end (vertical 2x12, Creamback 65s). I haven't used the loop. It weighs less than a 12 of longnecks, looks cute as hell, and sounds great for anything classic or hard rock that I need. But that's my priorities--good classic/hard rock sound and light weight.

The current prices I agree are nuts.

Last edited:
dang! Didn’t expect to have such a divided crowd. I plan on using a OX or a Weber Mass Attenuator which is why my eyes are still on the SV. I’m able to at pretty loud at home if that makes a difference.

I guess if you already have an attenuator or reamp box that you don't mind using, then the SV20 could make some sense.

I don't know what the going rate is for a 1987x, but I'd probably try to stretch to get one of those over the SV20 unless it's just too much money.

That’s interesting, why would you say that? Cuz I was kind of mulling over the same proposition, but it looks like the 1987x commands nearly $2k while I can get a SV20h for $1075

Another component is, I was planning on just going through the speakers I have in my combos. One is a 75w Creamback the other is a 25w Greenback. I’d be nervous about popping the Greenback with the 50w 1987x while that wouldn’t be a concern with the studio, but please tell me why I should consider the 87x instead

That’s interesting, why would you say that? Cuz I was kind of mulling over the same proposition, but it looks like the 1987x commands nearly $2k while I can get a SV20h for $1075

Another component is, I was planning on just going through the speakers I have in my combos. One is a 75w Creamback the other is a 25w Greenback. I’d be nervous about popping the Greenback with the 50w 1987x while that wouldn’t be a concern with the studio, but please tell me why I should consider the 87x instead
Well, the 1987X is the "actual" amp and circuit. The SV20 is a recreation with smaller transformers and various changes. I tend to prefer to get the actual thing rather than a facsimile of it, but if the price gap is that large, I probably would just go for the SV20, especially if you'll be running unattenuated into a single G12M.

Back