Marshall SV20H vs SC20C

I like the SV20 and had the SC20. Great sounding amp. Not so great build quality. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for either of them.

I've used a 2204 for years and years and briefly played the SC20H and thought it was a pretty good approximation. They do seem a bit pricy new, but used it's not so bad particularly given the price people want for a 2204 or 2203 these days.

I would not get an SV20. I've not played one, but the whole concept of that amp makes no sense to me. Anyone looking at a Marshall would want it overdriving, but even at 20 watts it would be extremely loud, which seems counter to the whole point of a mini head.
My thoughts exactly. Kinda defeats the purpose. That "mini" SV20H will piss off your neighbors in a heartbeat. Just like the big boy - volume goes from zero to holy shit. They should have considered a PPIMV.

dang! Didn’t expect to have such a divided crowd. I plan on using a OX or a Weber Mass Attenuator which is why my eyes are still on the SV. I’m able to at pretty loud at home if that makes a difference.
Your choice is loud, or pass. An attenuator will only suck the life out of it.

Or.... if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could pick up an Origin 20 or 50 for cheap and do these mods...
This is from forum member Burger, or Headfirst Amplification:

I scored an Origin 50 at the local big box for C$400 ( approx $315 USD) and followed the vid, and the docs Jason has on his site.

My amp sounds un-freakin-believable.... straight up killer modded JCM800 tone for days. :rock:

Jason's mods are the real deal, and my amp sounds EXACTLY like the amp in his vid.

If you need a loop, you will have to order a loop board from HeadFirst, as the mod re-purposes the 12ax7 for the stock tube loop to a 3rd gain stage / cathode follower to drive the tone stack. ( all explained in the vid. Hell... he even shows you how to install the new loop!!)

I'm kinda shocked actually, but this is now one of my best sounding amps for Marshall style tones....Seriously.....

For less than $500 :shocked:

Also note that the "Tilt" control on the Origin amps is actually a variable bright cap / hi cut filter.... very cool feature, and one of those "damn, why didn't I think of that" ideas. :doh: Straight up at noon, it does nothing. Above 12 o'clock it blends in the standard 1000pf bright cap across the gain pot, and below noon, it shunts treble to ground through a 10nf cap.

USD $1200 + for a used SV / SC20 :hys::hys::hys:

Fuk dat......Go grab a used Origin and get busy wit da iron... :LOL: :thumbsup:

Or.... if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could pick up an Origin 20 or 50 for cheap and do these mods...
This is from forum member Burger, or Headfirst Amplification:

I scored an Origin 50 at the local big box for C$400 ( approx $315 USD) and followed the vid, and the docs Jason has on his site.

My amp sounds un-freakin-believable.... straight up killer modded JCM800 tone for days. :rock:

Jason's mods are the real deal, and my amp sounds EXACTLY like the amp in his vid.

If you need a loop, you will have to order a loop board from HeadFirst, as the mod re-purposes the 12ax7 for the stock tube loop to a 3rd gain stage / cathode follower to drive the tone stack. ( all explained in the vid. Hell... he even shows you how to install the new loop!!)

I'm kinda shocked actually, but this is now one of my best sounding amps for Marshall style tones....Seriously.....

For less than $500 :shocked:

Also note that the "Tilt" control on the Origin amps is actually a variable bright cap / hi cut filter.... very cool feature, and one of those "damn, why didn't I think of that" ideas. :doh: Straight up at noon, it does nothing. Above 12 o'clock it blends in the standard 1000pf bright cap across the gain pot, and below noon, it shunts treble to ground through a 10nf cap.

USD $1200 + for a used SV / SC20 :hys::hys::hys:

Fuk dat......Go grab a used Origin and get busy wit da iron... :LOL: :thumbsup:

Wow that sounds fantastic

Did these just go up in price? I was looking at these not too long ago and I thought there were 1,599 - now they're 1,699 at Sweetwater.
Everything is going up in price. Biden caused that and things only keep getting worse with him in office.

When I had them both

To my ears the SC20 was just ok, the SV20 was amazing However, it was so unbearably loud. The waza neutered it fine for bedroom use but it became thin and not great. I could not find the balance from the full throttle percussive ear bleeding volume and bedroom volume. The Waza also made you use it's IR's and not one of the choices sounded as good as my cab

I think they both sound pretty good and nail the tones they are going for pretty well.

I'm late to this discussion but I agree the SV20 may be portable and cute as a bug...it's also loud enough to get you kicked out of every bar in town. Understanding that we all hear "tone" differently, this JHS "Little Black Amp Box" in the effects loop has been a revelation to me and might be a low-cost solution to taming your beast. Like many owners I originally found the SV20H to be incredibly bright...I find that jumping the inputs as shown below and plugging into the #2 input of the "normal" channel solved this entirely.
1664640077311.png

When I had them both

To my ears the SC20 was just ok, the SV20 was amazing However, it was so unbearably loud. The waza neutered it fine for bedroom use but it became thin and not great. I could not find the balance from the full throttle percussive ear bleeding volume and bedroom volume. The Waza also made you use it's IR's and not one of the choices sounded as good as my cab

This.. Unless you're able to crank it, don't waste your money on the SV20. I had one briefly. It was unusable for anything less than ear-bleeding, and it sounded like ass. Flubby, round, and mud city. I boosted it, used a PS-2, (that actually made it sound worse). Somebody needs to, (if they haven't already), do some Jose type mods. Tighten up that low end and add a Master. I'd be all over it then.

Out of the Studio series, don't discount the Mini Jube. I think its the best of the bunch.

As others have said already, the SV20 is still a non-master volume amp, it’s really loud! For most people playing at home, the SC20 is the way to go. I have one of the blacked out stealth SC20’s from a couple of years ago and it’s just right for my purposes.

Back