Master Effects PMEQ...Master of Puppets studio EQ pedal

Seems to me like low & high are boosts, and mid is a cut.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying different approaches with mine & the C+. First was PEQ only. This is great in the bedroom, but thin in the mix and on the mic. Then I tried PEQ as the main, and fill in with the GEQ. This was better. Finally I tried GEQ as the main, and fill in with the PEQ. In the band mix THIS is where it's at. So I tried to record it.

Note that I'm not trying to "copy" a MOP tone since I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm trying to find a tone that kicks ass live & recorded in my band mix. This is the best I've come up with so far, and it involves all 3 pedals in the pic.

IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

Yeah, thats the one. Noted on the freqs, thanks. This pedal doesn't have any reference markings on the freq knobs, just "High", "Mid" and "Low" so I'm trying to figure it out. The level knobs are straightforward enough.

Bvbx4Er.jpg
This is where those frequencies are on the Aphex EQF-2. Boosting 4,6K, cutting 1,2K and boosting 120. If the pedal works the same way it should be something like this. The outer knob is the frequencies. The inner knob is the gain, where 12 o clock is +6db.
For reference, this is set as Battery from Flemmings notes.

80B74912-8977-4041-871F-4FFE38A1ADB6.jpeg

Thanks guys.
I reached out to Tim and he replied along the lines of "Unfortunately there's no 1:1 settings. the original used pots with a taper that I have had trouble sourcing so while the ones that I used have the same min/max range, the sweep is a bit different."

So, the sounds are in there, but the dials won't 1:1 match the notes. All good, I'll just swing the knobs freely and use my ears. It's a fantastic pedal and it pretty easily gets that particular chug freq.

Thanks guys.
I reached out to Tim and he replied along the lines of "Unfortunately there's no 1:1 settings. the original used pots with a taper that I have had trouble sourcing so while the ones that I used have the same min/max range, the sweep is a bit different."

So, the sounds are in there, but the dials won't 1:1 match the notes. All good, I'll just swing the knobs freely and use my ears. It's a fantastic pedal and it pretty easily gets that particular chug freq.

Yea that’s the best case option, I didn’t realize the frequencies weren’t listed on the pedal. Hard to know what kind of Q value the boosts Are too, albeit the aphex way curves im sure are somewhere on the internet.

On that note, you can still figure out the right frequencies you are trying to target. Set the boost real high, 10-12 db on whatever frequency you want, and analyze what’s chAnging on your computer with a standard eq like pro q 3. It’ll be very apparent what frequency you are actually boosting/cutting, that’ll get you in the balllpark for sure.

Back