Maybe I am crazy...(amp)

kannibul

but I'm thinking instead of going the Egnater route, I may just buy another Metro Plexi kit and have at it.

I'm kinda lusting for a JCM 800, which, that kit would allow me to do with very little effort, that, and a Plexi with a PPIMV = heaven...lol

Granted, I could potentiall pull the trigger on thsi today, or months from now - basically, I want something to "do", other than band practice 3x a week - something that I can occupy my mind with that is more entertaining than Madden on the 360, or the science channel 20 minutes of bleh for 10 minutes of info shows...

So, now the ROOT of this post:

To go with Mercury Magnetics transformers or to not go with Mercury Magenetics transformers?

I'm not chasing EVH tone (as good of a tone that may be) - and, there is the idea of make this into a hot-rodded JCM 800...

Thoughts?

The funny part of all this, is after the Heather, I swore off building another amp...lol...

Oh yeah, Mallory or Sozo?

Digital Jams":2f2xy9lc said:
Yup you are nuts :D

Why not just get a minty TSL? You always loved those right?

Cost too much these day's, and the ramping of volume when switching channels bugged me a LOT

Well as far as caps... If your going for a Plexi/superlead with 2 gain stages, then go with Sozo's. If your making it a hot rodded Marshall and want the gain to have clarity with no mush, id go with Solen Fast Caps!

MrDan666":33d692iu said:
Well as far as caps... If your going for a Plexi/superlead with 2 gain stages, then go with Sozo's. If your making it a hot rodded Marshall and want the gain to have clarity with no mush, id go with Solen Fast Caps!

True, and caps aren't expensive, I should go Sozo, then if I start modding to hell, I'll switch off to something else.

Maybe Orange Drops?

Still the question of the transformer set...

kannibul":2doi8gpt said:
To go with Mercury Magnetics transformers or to not go with Mercury Magenetics transformers?

Funny, MMs maybe the most costly, but they are not the only super trafos out there. My fav by far are ONetics, like those used by THD and in the top of the line Soldano. Not sure if Bud is selling to the public anymore but it maybe something to check out.

Good luck with your new build.

I would totally go with Mercury Magnetics. When I was putting together my plexi Roy Blankenship highly advise I go with Mercury. I can't guarantee that it's the Mercury or not, but this is one of the most touch responsive amp's I've played, fwiw.

I've got a real bad itch for the Soultone 20w marshall kit. $799

2061X_1280.jpg

MOAAH":3noevjrz said:
kannibul":3noevjrz said:

Funny, MMs maybe the most costly, but they are not the only super trafos out there. My fav by far are ONetics, like those used by THD and in the top of the line Soldano. Not sure if Bud is selling to the public anymore but it maybe something to check out.

Very true - just as a kit, they only offer Heyboer and Mercury. If I was doing it on my own, I dunno - hell, I might go "cheap" and use Hammonds, or with OEI, Onetics, etc... - from what I've used of them, Hammonds aren't bad at all...

kannibul":1joqhjw4 said:
True, and caps aren't expensive, I should go Sozo, then if I start modding to hell, I'll switch off to something else.

Maybe Orange Drops?

Go with Sozo to start off with, and then later if you get into modding it id go with the Solen fast caps like i mentioned. Theyre as clear as the Orange drops, but theyre a bit warmer sounding on the treble to my ears. Orange Drops can be bright and sterile sounding in some circuits!

http://www.tubesandmore.com/ They sell the Solen Caps, and lots of others too. I used the Solen's in a modded JCM800 style build and i was very impressed! :thumbsup:

kannibul":1y9k661y said:
MOAAH":1y9k661y said:
kannibul":1y9k661y said:

Very true - just as a kit, they only offer Heyboer and Mercury. If I was doing it on my own, I dunno - hell, I might go "cheap" and use Hammonds, or with OEI, Onetics, etc... - from what I've used of them, Hammonds aren't bad at all...

I see, well they(Heyboer, Mercury and ONetics) all are pretty good. Interesting thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-110305.html
on trafos.
It maybe a a HiFi forum but many of those manufactures mentioned make instrument trafos too.
Also kinda cool, Hammond has released a whole line of plug in replacements for Marshall and Fender. I really missed out thou; I was promised a bunch of new demos if I showed up for a recent trade show. Unfortunately my latest son decided to pop out at the same time so I spent the day in the hospital :)

MrDan666":3rcp8l8a said:
kannibul":3rcp8l8a said:

Maybe Orange Drops?

Go with Sozo to start off with, and then later if you get into modding it id go with the Solen fast caps like i mentioned. Theyre as clear as the Orange drops, but theyre a bit warmer sounding on the treble to my ears. Orange Drops can be bright and sterile sounding in some circuits!

http://www.tubesandmore.com/ They sell the Solen Caps, and lots of others too. I used the Solen's in a modded JCM800 style build and i was very impressed! :thumbsup:

Ah, thanks for the source - I'd never heard of Solen :)

kannibul":3955l6ms said:
MrDan666":3955l6ms said:
kannibul":3955l6ms said:

Maybe Orange Drops?

Ah, thanks for the source - I'd never heard of Solen :)

No problem, hope that helps!! That site does great prices and ships very fast too :rock:

Im not a tech, and dont know a damn thing about this stuff, so take it FWIW... But Clay Finley bought a 72 NMV JMP with a blown OT, and replaced it with a Mercury Magentics clone of an '68 Super Trem OT and that amp sounded righteous!!!

If you live anywhere near...go to an Egnater seminar and build the roided JTM45 thingy :rock: :thumbsup:

This has the added advantage you could probably play about to your hearts content on other Egnater products whilst there....

JKD":1vfi8u44 said:
If you live anywhere near...go to an Egnater seminar and build the roided JTM45 thingy :rock: :thumbsup:

This has the added advantage you could probably play about to your hearts content on other Egnater products whilst there....

Both Metro Amps and Engnater are both HQ'd in Michigan.

I didn't know of either until after I moved from there - LOL.

Damnit, and stuff...

ratter":6hy84ltm said:
I've got a real bad itch for the Soultone 20w marshall kit. $799

2061X_1280.jpg
Everything in there looks first rate, except the CHINESE tube sockets*. Sad thing is, wholesale the Russian Mil spec are only pennies more if you buy in bulk.

*and maybe the Alpha pots, but Taiwan is almost as American as Apple pie :)

kannibul":21ft40zb said:
but I'm thinking instead of going the Egnater route, I may just buy another Metro Plexi kit and have at it.

I'm kinda lusting for a JCM 800, which, that kit would allow me to do with very little effort, that, and a Plexi with a PPIMV = heaven...lol

Granted, I could potentiall pull the trigger on thsi today, or months from now - basically, I want something to "do", other than band practice 3x a week - something that I can occupy my mind with that is more entertaining than Madden on the 360, or the science channel 20 minutes of bleh for 10 minutes of info shows...

So, now the ROOT of this post:

I'm not chasing EVH tone (as good of a tone that may be) - and, there is the idea of make this into a hot-rodded JCM 800...

Thoughts?

The funny part of all this, is after the Heather, I swore off building another amp...lol...

Oh yeah, Mallory or Sozo?

Well.... here's what I'm gonna do:

I am in the process of obtaining a Ceriatone Plexi 100 kit 1 ($480 shipped) with a custom chassis, I have Jose Arredondo's old circuit diagram and I going to have my tech buddy, Carl:

1) Turn the preamp into a 2203 first
2) Implement a single channel version of the Arredondo high gain circuit (the one I have the schematic for is two channel, which I don't need) that is switchable between the high (4 gain stages) and low (3 gain stages) gain modes, without the noisy, unbuffered effects loop circuit
3) Add an adjustable lineout to drive my effects, power amp and second cab
4) do a tube buffered effect loop for my Decimator ProRackG
5) A few other little tricks
6) Install high quality Mercury Magnetics transformers (PT and OT) and choke ($448 shipped)

Gonna stick the chassis in a Mojotone big box plexi cab tolexed in mojotone burgundy snakeskin ($303 shipped)...

Will basically be a Sykes/Aldrich style rodded high gain 2203... I had a beast like this based on Jose Arredondo modding my JCM 800 back in the day. Will go nicely with my PeaceMaker and MKIV...

$1231 + some miscellaneous better circuit parts + labor...

Steve

george's heyboer sounds awesome and I would go with orange drops. Just my opinion and to me sounds better for high gain stuff.

Back