Mesa-Boogie Roadster...

kannibul

I bought this thinking, like my previous experiences with 3-channel dual recto's, that I'd end up not liking it and sending it back.

First night, I was able to dial in some decent tones, and was OK with it. I fiddled with it a few more days...then the moment of truth. I took it out and put in place my JCVM410H, already dialed in the way I like it. With the 3-channel recto's, I felt the TSL 100 I had then, "slayed it", and ended up thinking I wasted money on the 3-channel, and would take it back...

So I rawked out on the JVM410H. I remembered what I love about this amp - it just does everything so damn well. A couple days go by, and I flip back to the Mesa...now I need to mess with the settings again, and play around with it. Then I found this ultra-metal high-gain beastly setting on channel 4...I kept playing around with it...and...

This flat out amp kicks ass, and interestingly, the JVM kicks just as much ass, just in a different way. Mids are different - the Mesa growls, while the Marshall roars...even with the JVM's 4th channel being more "mesa-like" - it'd be closer to saying it's more "5150-like" in terms of where the mids are...lol...

It (Roadster) is very picky compared to the JVM, I will say that - plugging in a strat results in settings changes across the board to get it sounding right - flipping back to a Les Paul...same deal - and not the case with the JVM - btoh sound great in their own regard just plugged in.

It's also tighter than I remember (any) recto being and I finally hear that incredible low end these amps have. And...it's loaded with JJ's in the preamp. I've got TungSol's on the way which should help balance things out, as that many dark preamp tubes, by the time you get to channel 4, you've got a lot of darkness to overcome - lol...

I have to say a week or so post-purchase, I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. I just wish it fit on top of my JVM better - I guess I can solve that by getting another cab...lol

I thought the Roadsters were better sounding than the Dual Recs too ;) Tighter for sure

I loved the roadster I had and I never should have sold it, big mistake on my part.
I had dual and triple rects but I always thought the roadster sounded better to me, I also loved it with a boost.

Back