Mesa Lonestar combo opinions?

jcj

Any owners or former owners here?

Looking for something versatile that can cover top 40 type stuff with a couple of pedals. Needs a solid clean.

Love some opinions on this thing, or other combo's you may have liked better.

Thanks!

the LS ia a very cool underrated amp. Does a lot of stuff. It has gain but its not a modern voiced high gain amp. It has a very fast response but its not metal tight/fast. Sounds great none the less. A stiletto Ace combo would probably suit top 40 better I would think.

The 100 watt combo reminds me of a very badass twin...Andy Timmons,Petrucci etc use them

kurtsstuff":1ssqfnwg said:
The 100 watt combo reminds me of a very badass twin...Andy Timmons,Petrucci etc use them

Interesting :D

My oldest son started gigging; played his first Hollywood show on Sunday.

He needs some better tone :D

droptrd":ahd4zq8x said:
the LS ia a very cool underrated amp. Does a lot of stuff. It has gain but its not a modern voiced high gain amp. It has a very fast response but its not metal tight/fast. Sounds great none the less. A stiletto Ace combo would probably suit top 40 better I would think.

Will it get there with a boost?

If so, that's fine. No metal required. :D

jcj":nnwsqv8z said:
kurtsstuff":nnwsqv8z said:

Thats sweet josh,how was the show man,let that kid use the CCV :D end of story :rock:

jmgman69":cml69ki8 said:
jcj":cml69ki8 said:
kurtsstuff":cml69ki8 said:

Thats sweet josh,how was the show man,let that kid use the CCV :D end of story :rock:

Ummmm....no :LOL: :LOL:

jcj":2k7emmds said:
jmgman69":2k7emmds said:
jcj":2k7emmds said:
kurtsstuff":2k7emmds said:

:LOL: :LOL: I guess you gotta crawl before you can walk :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The lonestar is a pretty versatile amp. A guy I used to play with every week had one. I tracked the leads for his album with him using just his lonestar 1x12 combo and his 80's ProCo Rat pedal. It was a great setup for cleans to mild gain to smooth leads. No metal, but it did everything we asked it to very well.

I'd say it would kill as a top 40 style amp.

$.02

jcj":35vvrl4l said:
jmgman69":35vvrl4l said:
jcj":35vvrl4l said:
kurtsstuff":35vvrl4l said:

DAD!!!! YOU SUCK !!! lol!! :D :LOL: :LOL:

mboogman":2nr51mq8 said:
The lonestar is a pretty versatile amp. A guy I used to play with every week had one. I tracked the leads for his album with him using just his lonestar 1x12 combo and his 80's ProCo Rat pedal. It was a great setup for cleans to mild gain to smooth leads. No metal, but it did everything we asked it to very well.

I'd say it would kill as a top 40 style amp.

$.02

Thanks buddy, good info. Kinda what I was thinking, as well.

kurtsstuff":p9dgyznh said:
jcj":p9dgyznh said:
jmgman69":p9dgyznh said:
jcj":p9dgyznh said:
kurtsstuff":p9dgyznh said:

If he starts doing big venues, he's all over it :D

Hell, he didn't even TELL me he was in the band. Did the audition, and got the gig. Their first gig was on my birthday.....he wanted it to be a SURPRISE for me.

Dude did the gig with a Flextone II with no footswitch, no spare strings, cords or even pics..... and one strap for his electric and accoustic :D Know what?....it rocked :rock:

However....I'll be making sure he's a little better equipped for the next show :D

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I had an '05, and I really didn't like it at all. More of a Twin with a tube screamer than Marshall with a SD1. Has a nasty midrange hump that can not be dialed out with EQ, can work good on the clean channel with the right box ( I used a Plexi Tube) and it weighs about 90 lbs. I used mine for 4 years for top forty wedding stuff and really tried to like that amp. If going the pedal route for gain go for a used 50 cal, F30 or F50 or even a Blue Angel for a lot cheaper and lighter.

jcj":20sycnep said:
kurtsstuff":20sycnep said:
jmgman69":20sycnep said:
kurtsstuff":20sycnep said:

If he starts doing big venues, he's all over it :D

Hell, he didn't even TELL me he was in the band. Did the audition, and got the gig. Their first gig was on my birthday.....he wanted it to be a SURPRISE for me.

Dude did the gig with a Flextone II with no footswitch, no spare strings, cords or even pics..... and one strap for his electric and accoustic :D Know what?....it rocked :rock:

However....I'll be making sure he's a little better equipped for the next show :D

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Makes ya stop and think!!? I bet he had more fun than any of us have had in who knows how many years....Using whats considered tinker toy equipment....Man...I miss those days when I didn't "know better!!" lol!!

jcj":1rfn76o7 said:
droptrd":1rfn76o7 said:

Will it get there with a boost?

If so, that's fine. No metal required. :D
Oh yeah. takes a boost great. Maybe a BB preamp like AT. I had my Barber Direct Drive when I played one and it sounded great

I would take the Electra Dyne over any of the Lonestars. The Lonestar gets a little better of a clean, but the Electra Dyne does everything else much better IMHO. And the Electra Dyne clean is pretty good as long as it has the clean trim knob on the back. Plus, with a boost the Dyne gets into metal.

Back