Mesa Strategy PA's. 400 or 500 The One To Get?

PurityS.L.G

I have an opportunity to buy a friends 500 which needs some TLC internally but in great cosmetic shape. I've always heard 400's are the ones to get for sound and the right amount of sag but the 500 layout seems more robust and I guess more rare from what I'm reading researching these amps.

Which do you guys like more? I've always toyed with getting a good power amp to mess with but if I'm going to get one, I want something huge and juicy sounding. I would get the bro deal but he's also not letting it go for too cheap so if I'm going to commit, I want the right one.

I own a strategy 500 and played the 400. The 400 is more manageable, but I like the 500 tone more. However most like the 400 better. It'll also sell faster, and is usually cheaper because there seem to be more of them. But if you got a good deal on one go for it.

I've owned a 400, 395 and now have the 500. All sound great to me and have a little of there own thing going on and sound different but not in a bad way where a guy could have kept all 3 but ended up just keeping the 500. At the time I thought that the 500 was bigger, bolder and tighter sounding while being slightly more 3D sounding, however I remember the 400 being a little more hi-fi ish in the top end, while still being very muscial and the 395 darker and looser on the attack and a little more going on the mid range, very slight differences in tone. I would do the depth mod to all of these for example instead of the deep switch like the 395/500 have, makes it easier to dial in the low lows and really brings the 400 to life.

Had an S400; not played a 500 but I'm sure it's great. The S400 through 4 cabs, slaving my C+ SRG shook the windows to the point of almost breaking them....insane. Very 3D sounding and does add its own 6L6 color vs my HH V800.
Just an FYI; Metallica used the 400 live and could have switched to the 500, but didn't. Not that it means anything. The 500s are more rare though; from what I've seen over the years.

I owned the 400 for years and was going to switch to the 500. Played one for a weekend and decided to keep the 400. This was paired with a Quad pre for reference.

Maybe Gjgo can chime in,he knows the 400 well.I can def say the 400 & 500 are at the top of pile for mesa's as ive had most of them,all but the earliest m series or the coliseum 300.
I have kept the 500,which also still has the really good mesa tubes in it.It rips.Its killer. Thought I'd use all the extra ch and voicing switches but dnt.
But iirc,the 400 has the transformers of the iic+ era ( I may be wrong on that). I love the 400 too.im no help.lol..Op: if you want to see the specs of both I can post the original product release sheets.

Maybe Gjgo can chime in,he knows the 400 well.I can def say the 400 & 500 are at the top of pile for mesa's as ive had most of them,all but the earliest m series or the coliseum 300.
I have kept the 500,which also still has the really good mesa tubes in it.It rips.Its killer. Thought I'd use all the extra ch and voicing switches but dnt.
But iirc,the 400 has the transformers of the iic+ era ( I may be wrong on that). I love the 400 too.im no help.lol..Op: if you want to see the specs of both I can post the original product release sheets.
I think the S400/500 are the rare Mesa's that Jeremy HASN'T had yet lol.....But I think he's got the 180 or 300.

Had an S400; not played a 500 but I'm sure it's great. The S400 through 4 cabs, slaving my C+ SRG shook the windows to the point of almost breaking them....insane. Very 3D sounding and does add its own 6L6 color vs my HH V800.
Just an FYI; Metallica used the 400 live and could have switched to the 500, but didn't. Not that it means anything. The 500s are more rare though; from what I've seen over the years.
Just before they dropped the 400s from their live rigs they briefly switched to Mesa 290 power amps. Big mistake.

contemplating parting with my vht 2-90-2 and using the proceeds towards a 400 or 500, both of which my friend has offered to sell me. i currently have a 290 i love, had a 395 i loved, and recently babysat a 500 i loved.

never tried a 400.

you guys suck🤣

I think the S400/500 are the rare Mesa's that Jeremy HASN'T had yet lol.....But I think he's got the 180 or 300.
Correct, the S400/500 are on the short list of Mesa gear I haven't owned. I've been using a M180 with a Coli so there's my stereo Coli power sections. :)

ALL of these are absolutely brutal. That said, I have a working theory that since the 180/190 use a C+ Coli power section, and the 400/500 use a III Coli power section (making some assumptions here), and since the III Colis are notably "bigger" than the III Colis, that a pair of 180s would be even nastier than a 400.

Correct, the S400/500 are on the short list of Mesa gear I haven't owned. I've been using a M180 with a Coli so there's my stereo Coli power sections. :)

ALL of these are absolutely brutal. That said, I have a working theory that since the 180/190 use a C+ Coli power section, and the 400/500 use a III Coli power section (making some assumptions here), and since the III Colis are notably "bigger" than the III Colis, that a pair of 180s would be even nastier than a 400.
Except, what the S400 can do is be set up Bridged/Mono so it's not just a 200w per side....it's 400w out to multiple cabs.
Game
Set
Match=S400 for the win.

contemplating parting with my vht 2-90-2 and using the proceeds towards a 400 or 500, both of which my friend has offered to sell me. i currently have a 290 i love, had a 395 i loved, and recently babysat a 500 i loved.

never tried a 400.

you guys suck🤣
I’m sure you’ve seen me write about adding a depth pot/circuit to the S400. Stock it is great and gets the job done. With the depth circuit (1 meg pot and .0022uf caps or whatever your ear likes most) it sounds so massive and just fills out the room with sound.

So I own the 500 and thought about the 400. Is the sound that much better? Are there big differences sound wise for anyone that’s played both

The one gear regret I have is somehow not knowing about the mono input when I had an S400 a while ago. When I used just one side it sounded just like slaving into the mark iii coliseum I had at the time (with the GEQ disengaged) but not as good when compared. I’ll have to revisit one later to hear it the right way in mono

I’m sure you’ve seen me write about adding a depth pot/circuit to the S400. Stock it is great and gets the job done. With the depth circuit (1 meg pot and .0022uf caps or whatever your ear likes most) it sounds so massive and just fills out the room with sound.
Do you use the mono input or use the 2 sides separately?

Back