Metallica sounded best using Marshall?

I think there is so much going on in "Sad But True" on the recording, that it would be hard to reproduce that live. Thick, stacked, tone.

Alot of times we all discuss rhythm tones on this albums but the lead tones were sweet on RTL and MOP. I still remember hearing the solo during the slow part in MOP for the first time. Gave me chills. Same for that into solo on "Fade to Black".

I still think "Holier Than Thou" is one of the most underrated songs ever and the tone kills on that one as well.
I actually love the lead tones on KEA. Just very raw and percussive, cranked, boosted Marshall with “gasp”, tasty wah. The layered tones they went for on Ride and Master are also fantastic. That loping, smooth lead tone in the mellow breakdown of Orion is downright beautiful.

It’s so weird because they’re original music just blows and is obvious cash grab corporatism but they are very talented musicians and do fantastic covers. They do a great version of Sharp Dressed Man as well. If only they had some conviction to be a truly original heavy, hard rocking band they could have been amazing.
I listened to Devin Townsend talk about his interaction with the lead Chad guy in NBack (they're both from the same small Canadian town).
He seemed really certain that Chad IS being authentic, talked about how excited he was to show Devin the new material he was working on and really seemed to be expressing himself.

Devin said he should try some of that commercial stuff and Chad told him not to, that he had to stay true to himself. Maybe he was trying to screw him lol? Devin can clearly write amazing hooks and could likely use Nickel cash.

Back