Mid gain pedals

the rossness

I have a bunch of high gain amps and pedals, but I’m missing a low-medium gain pedal. Something that goes from edge of breakup into crunch-land. What are your fav mid-gain pedals?

I have a bunch of high gain amps and pedals, but I’m missing a low-medium gain pedal. Something that goes from edge of breakup into crunch-land. What are your fav mid-gain pedals?
I've tried a whole bunch of pedals my self to get that type of gain a wihile back and I just couldnt get a decent tone out of any of them. So I ended up getting a volume attenuator pedal that goes in front of my Splawn Nitro when I want a lower mid-gain crunch sound.

EHX makes one called Signal Pad Passive Attenuator Pedal... but plenty of other small shops make one. Heck, if you're handy with simple elctronics you can build one your self.

Another company called Saturnworks makes one.. that's the one I used for a very long time until I got a Fractal FX8 and I use the volume attenuator pedal built into that in conjunction with the OD from the Splawn Nitro:
https://reverb.com/ca/item/6762591-...al-switch-neutrik-jacks-crafted-in-california
Good luck

Strymon sunset - noise gate built in ; 2 channels; does clean boost up to rat gain and everything in between ; can stack channels or run them in parallel for more sounds.

This and the ehx pitchfork are the entirety of my pre-amp board. Its underrated bc “strymon dirt”

I’ve had a few mid gain type pedals, the one thats stayed on my board is the Wampler euphoria but I’ve also really liked the Friedman dirty shirley and the JHS AT+. The AT is pretty versatile aided by the boost side so you can run it low gain and then boost it.

Check out Jetter pedals, they make some amazing sounding mid/low gain OD pedals, really amp like in feel.

CMATMods Signa drive. I think it's based on the TS design, but enough changes that it's not really a TS. Several clipping options too. I'm not sure it's a purely mid-gain pedal, but it has some really good mid-gain settings.

I've actually been using my OCD to boost my clean channel just to the edge of breakup.

I really like the Bogner la grange for mid to "low-HI" gain. Can use the boost side only and push your amp for some dirt on the clean channel. Can run just the plexi side with all the different settings this goes from plexi clean to hot rod eddie and beyond. Then you can run both for leads...

I'd look into the Earthquaker Plumes.

I've only used its modeled version (Pillars in Helix), but even though it's a TS derived pedal, it really gets to Hendrix Axis: Bold as Love type tones with a Strat, akin to a Fuzz Factory with your guitar volume down a bit.

Into a Clean channel? I just tested the Friedman Dirty Shirley and Smallbox. Both great for that application.

1670431306465.png

Back