Midi with Bogner XTC Classic + Ground Control

jimosity

I'm trying to configure my Bogner XTC 101B Classic, which I have connected via Axess Electronics AC8 with the special Bogner 101b cable and control the changes with my Ground Control Pro.
Can somebody help me configure my GCP to change channels and turn on/off loops?
I'm not getting anything with any of the configurations I've tried.

Is it possible that you have to use program change (PC) commands and program the state of each switch by program rather than using midi controllers (CC) to switch the individual functions (which would just be replicating the classic's switch)?

I can get it to send PC changes and change channels on the Bogner, but is it possible to send both CC and PC with on button stomp?

Well the GRX-4 can do both, but as there is no info or manual on their site about the AC-8 - who knows?
On the GC-Pro side, you can set it up to send PC on the lower 4 buttons and CC on the upper 8.

Do you have a manual for the AC-8? If yes, then rtfm. ;)

The manual for the AC8 can be found here, but it's confusing.
http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/axe ... 8_v1r3.pdf

I can send PC changes on the lower 4 buttons and change the channels on the head via MIDI channel 16 and I can set up the instant access buttons to turn on the CC switchable options (boosts, loop, standby) --- but what I really want to be able to do is have 10 PC buttons instead of 4, so I want some presets to send both a PC change AND a CC change (ie; I want to step on one button and it change the channel AND turn on a boost at the same time)

It *LOOKS* like in the AC8 manual that CC changes are on channel 15, but not true - they are sent on 16 or they don't work.

What I'm ultimately trying to do it this:
Guitar -> GRX4: Loop 1 would be saved for a boost pedal so it can come before any other preamp sections, Loop 2 would be the Bogner preamp section, Loop 3 would be an Egnater M4, Loop 4 would be an AxeFX -> out of GRX4 into a second GRX4 for additional pedals - out of that second GRX4 into the FX loop return of the Bogner.
I want the Ground Control Pro to allow me to step on a single button and it engage whichever loop(s) in the GRX4's for any of the preamps as well as using the AxeFX for any effects.

Still not sure if I want to run it this way or run all of the GRX4's thru the FX Loop of the AxeFX and have it control whether or not the GRX4's are active or not via it's loop giving me the ability to use the AxeFX for both tones and FXs if need be.

I just wanted to work out the details of switching channels on the Bogner first to make sure it can do what I want it to do (both CC and PC on one button stomp)

hunter":3e86myga said:
If you have a GC Pro already, why not get a Voodoo GCX instead?

What's the GCX gonna do for me that the two GRX4's don't?
I already have the GRX4's, and I like that they don't take up rack space.
I do gig out pretty often, so less rack spaces is better.

Just so I can post the answer to my own problem in case anyone ever searches for this sort of thing again; here's the solution.

I'm using the Ground Control Pro -> Axess Electronics AC-8 -> Bogner Ecstasy 101b Classic head (with the custom Axess cable to control the Bogner).

I wanted to use the 10 button setup on the GCP, not the 4 button - but I wanted to have one stomp ability to turn on any channel plus a boost or FX loop (or standby) without needing instant access buttons.
The hurdle to overcome is that the Bogner switches channels via PC and the boosts, loop and standby are CC changes.

All are on midi channel 16.

Green Channel is PC # 5
Blue Channel is PC # 6
Red Channel is PC # 7

Under 'Expanders' on the GCP, enable the send GCX controller <GCX-2>
(I'm not using a GCX, but this is the workaround to get it to send both PC and CC changes at the same time).

Set the GCX (I think it's default) to have the loops NORMAL, not momentary.

Now, you can hit any button on the GCP, then hold down the top right button to get into edit mode - set the head channel (5, 6, 7) and then hit the Bank Down button and go to the GCX-2...then step on one of the first four buttons on the top row (1 is for standby, 2 is for FX Loop, 3 is for Boost 1, 4 is for Boost 2).

Get out of edit mode and save the settings and now you can have one button access to control any of the functions of the Bogner head.

Back