Might be old news, but scammers are rampant on Reverb now..

napalmdeath

I have several items on Reverb, and I've gotten multiple "I'm looking at this for xyz, email them at xyz's address". Fuckheads are everywhere these days. It's #1 reason I don't do Craigslist. All I got "Still available?" 2 word emails, knowing it's some asshole sending his associate to pick up my stuff, (they always seem happy with it's conditions)". Even offer a "cheque" for $500 more for my troubles... Some day I'd like to meet the associate. Offer some coffee, water, and a pistol.

I tried Facebook Marketplace, that lasted a couple hours. First one was an older black woman with a religious page. 2nd was another one nutter than squirrel turds. Then more that I knew were just fishing I give up.. Now I gotta figure out how to stop garage sale ads from peppering my page.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn’t even try. Last week I dropped off 5 guitars and 2 amps at Atlanta Discount Music and put them in consignment. Just let ‘em sit till they sell and no headaches. Fees aren’t that much higher than when you add up the Reverb fees and no shipping and no dealing shitty buyers.

Reverb has seriously become a cesspool. I’ve been ignoring all direct messages without a recognizable name for awhile at this point.

I sell here or locally on consignment, or I eat the value at guitar center. I’d rather take the cut as a tax write off next year than have to deal with the other scenarios.

The creator of reverb sold out to Etsy and knew damn well they’d turn it into a burning dumpster fire. It was better as a musicians ran non popular option that kept the crazies off the radar. It used to sell only premium gear, too.

I just tried one listing on Facebook Marketplace for the first time a few weeks ago, and it’s been a mess. I’ve had a few of what appeared to be serious buyers only to have them try to pull some shady stuff right before we are supposed to meet up for the sale to try to get the price lower.

I still use Craigslist and patience. Scammers aren't going anywhere. I just make sure they don't get anything.

A popular one on the Verb these days is the private message that says: “I want it, text me …” with a phone number. And if you try to reply via message, it says ‘this reverb member cannot receive messages at this time’

Delete.

I haven't received any messages but there are ton of guitars being offered at low prices by 0 or low feedback accounts which are scams.

yeah, what I see a lot of are Reverb ads that are way too good to be true by accounts in non-US countries that just started in 2022. Obvious scams.

Ive sold a few motorcycle parts on facebook marketplace and craigslist in the past.. never bought or sold on reverb, the prices alone are laughable

A popular one on the Verb these days is the private message that says: “I want it, text me …” with a phone number. And if you try to reply via message, it says ‘this reverb member cannot receive messages at this time’

Delete.
Yep, except these left an email address. Couldn't even send them a message to fuck off.

Reactions: PDC
I just tried one listing on Facebook Marketplace for the first time a few weeks ago, and it’s been a mess. I’ve had a few of what appeared to be serious buyers only to have them try to pull some shady stuff right before we are supposed to meet up for the sale to try to get the price lower.
FB market place can be hit or miss. As a buyer I see a number of good deals there, but usually the better the deal, the flakier the seller. Haven’t tried to sell anything there yet.

Yep, except these left an email address. Couldn't even send them a message to fuck off.

I dont understand what you are saying. Sometimes I reach out to see if they have it listed somehwere else to avoid the reverb fees if I can. Im a real buyer. On a $3,000 amp its nice to save 5-10%.

I dont understand what you are saying. Sometimes I reach out to see if they have it listed somehwere else to avoid the reverb fees if I can. Im a real buyer. On a $3,000 amp its nice to save 5-10%.
What I think more people should do is when you post the ad on Reverb, post in on your craigslist. I always look at the location of the seller on Reverb and then go check craigslist in their area. Has saved me from going thru Reverb and all the taxes etc.

In the past I have asked a seller if they happen to be on any message boards such as Rig-Talk and a couple others. A couple of times they were and we just did the deal that way, it’s worth asking just for reference.

Back