Mike Fortin Marshall DSL mod Youtube clip added.

jasonP

I've been talking with Mike about Moddng my DSL and I don't know if you have talked with him but he is so helpful and willing to send you parts if need be. The guy is just awesome. :rock:
I have a couple things I was looking to change about the DSL. I wanted the red channel to be more open and also when backing the gain down not get super bright. This mod changes the amp so when you back the gain down on the red channel the tone/sound stays the same, I love that. Also the amp is more open on the red channel as well. Really took this amp up a step in my opinion.
I still want to make the attack of the amp tighter and Mike is also told me a couple things I can do there as well but I want to play the amp some more and figure out what is the next step if any to take.
I will give props to all the modders out there that have worked with the newer amps and PCB's. Man what a bitch. I mean holy cow parts soldered to both sizes of the main PCB board was really tough to get out all the stupid connectors. The input and output boards was a lot easier and parts were only soldered on one side still...
Thanks for all the help on this Mike!!

I was gonna do this. I thought I had a guy that could take the amp to his work and do it there. I don't want to mess with a double sided board. What kind of difference do you hear?

yngzaklynch":28glm7o7 said:
I was gonna do this. I thought I had a guy that could take the amp to his work and do it there. I don't want to mess with a double sided board. What kind of difference do you hear?

Yeah that was the hardest part. Mike sugested I use some solder wick and that stuff works great! Really helped.
The more I play with the amp the better I'm liking the mod. Right now I'm switching between the DD with the clean channel and crunch pushed in to the lead and honestly the red channel I think sounds better now where as before I liked the green channel better with the DD. I think I might have to sell the DD now. Really opens the red channel up and honestly I think it makes it tighter. Still has a modern edge to it and has some sizzle. I love it so far and just can't put the guitar down. Mike is the man!! :rock:

jasonP":33w69j1j said:
yngzaklynch":33w69j1j said:

Yeah that was the hardest part. Mike sugested I use some solder wick and that stuff works great! Really helped.
The more I play with the amp the better I'm liking the mod. Right now I'm switching between the DD with the clean channel and crunch pushed in to the lead and honestly the red channel I think sounds better now where as before I liked the green channel better with the DD. I think I might have to sell the DD now. Really opens the red channel up and honestly I think it makes it tighter. Still has a modern edge to it and has some sizzle. I love it so far and just can't put the guitar down. Mike is the man!! :rock:

You're killing me.

That's awesome, i would love to hear some clips of that amp!! :rock: Im a big fan of the DSL's and if it sounds even better after the mod, then it must sound killer! :D

Mike is definitely the coolest! He has helped me lots with some mod ideas i have been working on and its great to have him as a friend!! :rock:

yngzaklynch":1yma9fwr said:
jasonP":1yma9fwr said:
yngzaklynch":1yma9fwr said:

You're killing me.

I just had one of the meanest sounds coming out of this amp. Mike seriously dude you fuckin rock. Totally took this amp to another level. :rock:

MrDan666":alwwv3tn said:
That's awesome, i would love to hear some clips of that amp!! :rock: Im a big fan of the DSL's and if it sounds even better after the mod, then it must sound killer! :D

Mike is definitely the coolest! He has helped me lots with some mod ideas i have been working on and its great to have him as a friend!! :rock:

Yeah I love this amps tone as well. (stock) Just wanted to improve opon what was already there. In my opinion this mod from Mike did.
I'm going to have a guitar buddy come over and were going to do some video of this amp. Just trying to make some time to do it. I will post it for sure.
Mike is freaking awesome! :D

Yes clips please. I had a DSL and loved it but it did need something. I often think about picking up another. Thanks.

:confused: You guys are killing me. I got a Dsl-100 sitting here I feel like some of you guys. It needs something? :gethim: Mike, if you are out there buddy, let's talk. I sent you my e-mail but never got anything. :cry: 411 please. Hey, how involved is this mod work?

HOLLYWOOD":1agz1cyx said:
:confused: You guys are killing me. I got a Dsl-100 sitting here I feel like some of you guys. It needs something? :gethim: Mike, if you are out there buddy, let's talk. I sent you my e-mail but never got anything. :cry: 411 please. Hey, how involved is this mod work?

I am in the same boat. I like the dsl as is and have had a few but they never stayed. I have another now and if it was tweaked a little I probably would have kept the others. I am very interested in this mod as well. :yes:

Talked to Mike said it was ok I post the values of his mod. :rock: The amp totally rips now and am so happy with the results.
Pre&PowerAmp schematic:
R12=22K
C12=1UF 0R .68UF 1uf gives less mids (Electrolytic radial type) I like the 1uf after trying both.
R13=100K
C17= .001UF (Ceramic) I like the higher rated ceramics for a smoother sound 2kv or 3kv.
C13= 2.2UF (Electrolytic radial type)
C8=.0047UF (polypropylene radial or tubular)
C16=.0022 (ceramic)
C6&C7= .1UF (polypropylene radial type or tubular)
ADD 220PF OR 470PF ACROSS R23 470pf more high end roll off (silver mica or ceramic) I much prefer the 220pf ceramic 3kv in this location after trying both.

Input PCB schematic:
C12= .0047UF

Output Jack Schematic:
R19 IS THE FB RESISTOR, TRY IT ON THE 8 OHM TAP INSTEAD OF 4 OHM

Also replaced R48 with a 1 watt carbon film and cut C46 on the main board. Many just replace C46 cap with 1000v. As you see as well I went ahead and replaced the standard 223k marshall caps with polypropylene metalized tubular ones of the same value. Honestly though I would just keep the stock caps in there. They sound good.

If you guys are doing this be really careful.

HOLLYWOOD":21jnm0xm said:

Oh man, I missed or didn't get your email. I am very sorry about that. I try to reply to all emails within the same day. Jason will post the values and if anyone needs the schemo, let me know. :rock:

Cheers,
Mike

FortinAmps":2urognm8 said:
HOLLYWOOD":2urognm8 said:

Oh man, I missed or didn't get your email. I am very sorry about that. I try to reply to all emails within the same day. Jason will post the values and if anyone needs the schemo, let me know. :rock:

Cheers,
Mike
Hey, basically, what if you were to send out the schematics, and all the parts necessary. What do you think the cost for this would be? Hey, come to think about it, you can do a instructional video. Now there is a money maker right there. :LOL: :LOL:

HOLLYWOOD":1kpo0zgt said:
FortinAmps":1kpo0zgt said:
HOLLYWOOD":1kpo0zgt said:

Cheers,
Mike
Hey, basically, what if you were to send out the schematics, and all the parts necessary. What do you think the cost for this would be? Hey, come to think about it, you can do a instructional video. Now there is a money maker right there. :LOL: :LOL:

You can find the schematics on the internet.. . http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm
Parts can be found at Mouser or Digikey for really cheap you should know what type of cap you want and I went with 1 watt carbon film resistors.
If you can understand how to read a schematic and use a soldering iron then it is no problem, otherwise I sugest you leave it to a tech imo.
Jason

This sounds interesting. I really like my DSL, but the brightness can be deadly at times. I love the roar of the amp, but if I could just smooth out that top end without losing the cut and agressiveness then I would be ecstatic.

LedZep77":19ivdsd5 said:
This sounds interesting. I really like my DSL, but the brightness can be deadly at times. I love the roar of the amp, but if I could just smooth out that top end without losing the cut and agressiveness then I would be ecstatic.

Yeah I never had a problem with the DSL being overly bright other then when I had the gain backed way down, now that isn't the case after the mod. I would use the bass boost and then set the treble and presence up around 6 to 7. That to me would get a good thick distortion sound that would cut right through. The amp is still agressive and roars jus like stock but I would say more so now. Real nice agressive modded marshall sound now.

Dimebag11":hh5yyfzt said:
I've yet to hear a better Modded DSL than JerryP's FJA stuff :) FWIW.

His stuff sounds great but in my opinion is just a little to agressive and has a lot of sizzle. Just a little to much for me.

jasonP":19jhiz3x said:
HOLLYWOOD":19jhiz3x said:
FortinAmps":19jhiz3x said:
HOLLYWOOD":19jhiz3x said:

Cheers,
Mike

You can find the schematics on the internet.. . http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm
Parts can be found at Mouser or Digikey for really cheap you should know what type of cap you want and I went with 1 watt carbon film resistors.
If you can understand how to read a schematic and use a soldering iron then it is no problem, otherwise I sugest you leave it to a tech imo.
Jason

I don't want to do the kit thing :LOL: :LOL: Plus I'm in Canada, the parts can be purchased cheaper and quicker in the USA. I'll be more than happy to point anyone in the right direction as to where to get the parts. I agree with Jason's post, if you are at all not comfortable performing the mod, please get a qualified tech to do it. :thumbsup:

I hope other members will do the mod. I'm looking forward to hearing some clips :rock:

Cheers,
Mike

Back