Mike Patton is a freak of nature....

I'm a huge fan. FNM, his solo stuff, Bungle,....I even like some of the Tomahawk stuff,..especially that tune in the video. One of my favorite vocalists of all-time.

Never liked the guy but he obviously has a load of fans. Im either missing something or I just dont get it...

Gainzilla":3ad6d1gm said:
Never liked the guy but he obviously has a load of fans. Im either missing something or I just dont get it...

Yeah gotta agree, never got why everyone was so crazy about him. He seems to be a bit full of himself as well.

Nigel Tufnel":27gd6fuy said:
In a good way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk
I really dig how he uses his voice as an instrument rather than just doing what's typical. Anybody else a fan of his post Faith No More projects?

I like to get a dose of Fantômas every once in a while. That sort of ambient'ish stuff gets me in the mood for writing some dark music myself.

You have to respect a guy that could have stayed in a successful band like Faith No More, but instead goes out and tries whatever he wants without paying to much attention to commercial viability. :thumbsup:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Terr ... tomas.html

This is a great high quality clip from a festival in Switzerland when Terry Bozio was playing some dates with Fantomas.

I think Mike really lifted Dillenger Escape Plan up a notch with his contribution to Irony is a Dead Scene. Tunes like Good Dogs to bad things, and others motivated me to get back heavily into the electric guitar and start my band Hectic Watermelon a few years back when I was doing my MM in composition. That, Tomahawk and Mr Bungle smacked me in the head with a 2x4 and reminded me where I belong. He really motivates me to know that you can take rock and punk idioms all over the place into lots of commercially unexplored places. All the people who say there is nothing new under the sun, need to get away from mainstream media for a while...

Made me want to sing. Angel Dust and KFAD are my all time faves. I like all the Bungle stuff. Especially Disco Volante. Merry Go Bye Bye is a masterpiece. I agree about the Dillinger EP. I like the 1st Tomahawk release as well. Truthfully I couldn't listen to Fantomas. Peeping Tom was pretty meh considering all the hype about it being another pop effort.

He is a big cock just like 'ol Billy boy Corgan. I think in both cases it's a defense mechanism though. Mike probably gets asked so many dumb ass questions I can understand it. I think it's ironic that FNM helped create a ton of really shitty bands in the 90's.

John Czajkowski":10j000mq said:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/TerryBozziofantomas.html

He really motivates me to know that you can take rock and punk idioms all over the place into lots of commercially unexplored places. All the people who say there is nothing new under the sun, need to get away from mainstream media for a while...

+1

Strat+Marshall":2d3j49io said:
Gainzilla":2d3j49io said:

Yeah gotta agree, never got why everyone was so crazy about him. He seems to be a bit full of himself as well.
It's because Mike Patton is a true artist in that he does not limit himself in any way. There are no boundaries to what he is capable of and there's admirable freedom in that. Mr. Bungle opened my eyes to so many things and has helped me become the person, and not just the musician, that I am today. I think he comes off as a bit of a dick, but, like stated above, I think he gets dumbass questions thrown his way all the time and it gets to a point where you can answer "What influences you?" only a certain number of times before getting annoyed. Honestly, he's above shit like that and for every interview out there where he comes off as pretentious you can find an interview or performance where he's genuine and appreciative of the fans. Comparing him to Billy Corgan is just horrible, too. If Faith No More or Mr. Bungle "reunited" and Patton's the original member in the band, then that may be a valid comparison.

Gino":2m7epa0v said:
It's because Mike Patton is a true artist in that he does not limit himself in any way. There are no boundaries to what he is capable of and there's admirable freedom in that. Mr. Bungle opened my eyes to so many things and has helped me become the person, and not just the musician, that I am today. I think he comes off as a bit of a dick, but, like stated above, I think he gets dumbass questions thrown his way all the time and it gets to a point where you can answer "What influences you?" only a certain number of times before getting annoyed. Honestly, he's above shit like that and for every interview out there where he comes off as pretentious you can find an interview or performance where he's genuine and appreciative of the fans. Comparing him to Billy Corgan is just horrible, too. If Faith No More or Mr. Bungle "reunited" and Patton's the original member in the band, then that may be a valid comparison.

I concure. Most of these interviewers are used to interviewing no talent pop stars that are about as deep as a puddle. When they interview Patton they don't know what else to do or say besides "Boy, your music sure is different. Who are your influences?" If they would acknowledge that there is something besides Nickelback out there maybe they would "get" what Mr. Patton is doing.

Gino":3o7pdpux said:
Comparing him to Billy Corgan is just horrible, too. If Faith No More or Mr. Bungle "reunited" and Patton's the original member in the band, then that may be a valid comparison.

:D About the only thing those dudes have in common is coming off like a cock. They both heavily influenced me for different reasons (Vox and guitar) plus all the Billy Corgan talk lately.

As far as the reunion thing it nearly happened in the case of FNM. You can thank Chino Moreno and Fred Durst for ruining it. John Davis, Fred Durst, Chino and some others (Billy Gould included) all met up with Mike Patton a few years back (back when people still listened to that Crap metal bullshit) at a Tomahawk show. Story goes they were discussing the possibility of a tribute album and arena tour with FNM reuniting as the headliner. Mike walks in and Chino is drunk and making all kinds of unrealistic demands. Seeing that this is a total joke he tries to walk out and rumor has it he was stopped by someone's (I think Durst's) security and told he was not leaving until the meeting was over. There was a bit of back and forth and Patton rejected the tour but green lighted the album. During the show supposedly Patton unzipped his pants and pissed on the security dude that stopped him. He was chased backstage apparently and whipped out one of those dildo's that squirts water.

He's the man :thumbsup:

Gino":qfmdwld2 said:
Strat+Marshall":qfmdwld2 said:
Gainzilla":qfmdwld2 said:

I have to agree with all of this. Mike Patton is an amazing force in music and not everyone is going to get everything that he does. That's the way that it should be. There should always be someone out there pushing the buttons of what people are used to and what they know. I like to hope that Mike Patton helped bring other people into music that they wouldn't have found otherwise.

Back