Modern Strat Tones from the Headfirst Alta 100

hellzington

I'm sure most of you know that I'm a huge fan of Jason Tong (@burger ) of Headfirst Amplification. I've owned three of his amps: 50w Cali, MTL 100, and Alta 100. I was jamming on my Alta 100 yesterday morning (don't mind the bed head) and was just getting the most insane modern Strat tones from my American Ultra Strat, so I decided to do a quick video showing it off. I feel like most people play this amp with humbuckers, so I'm excited to show off how awesome this amp sounds with a modern Strat. It's pretty unreal! Any and all feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

The older I get, the more I appreciate Strats.
IMO everyone should have a noiseless equipped Strat. It really opens up a whole new set of tonal possibilities once you eliminate the hum and feedback from single coils with high gain. I know a lot of people will just split their humbuckers to get a similar tone, but it's just not the same.

I'm sure most of you know that I'm a huge fan of Jason Tong (@burger ) of Headfirst Amplification. I've owned three of his amps: 50w Cali, MTL 100, and Alta 100. I was jamming on my Alta 100 yesterday morning (don't mind the bed head) and was just getting the most insane modern Strat tones from my American Ultra Strat, so I decided to do a quick video showing it off. I feel like most people play this amp with humbuckers, so I'm excited to show off how awesome this amp sounds with a modern Strat. It's pretty unreal! Any and all feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

Nice Jam

IMO everyone should have a noiseless equipped Strat. It really opens up a whole new set of tonal possibilities once you eliminate the hum and feedback from single coils with high gain. I know a lot of people will just split their humbuckers to get a similar tone, but it's just not the same.
Ever tried any kind of noise reduction unit?

I haven't heard a tone I like as much from Noiseless single coils as from a good set of vintage flavored single coils. Or even stuff like the Tex Mex and Texas Special from Fender. I remember trying a JB strat once and even though it played great, there was something about the Noiseless pickups that was very bland. Plugged in a 60's reissue Strat after and it was immediate on there's the tone. This was playing through a Deliverance.

I haven't heard a tone I like as much from Noiseless single coils as from a good set of vintage flavored single coils. Or even stuff like the Tex Mex and Texas Special from Fender. I remember trying a JB strat once and even though it played great, there was something about the Noiseless pickups that was very bland. Plugged in a 60's reissue Strat after and it was immediate on there's the tone. This was playing through a Deliverance.
Totally. There's nothing like real single coils. That said, I think noiseless Strat pickups offer a new take on that sound that's fun to play around with especially in higher gain environments. These DiMarzio ones are pretty great. They're actually voiced really bright, so using your tone controls is pretty important.

All the Fender noiseless I've tried were garbage. I use an Ilitch PGNCS and it's awesome, don't hear any tone suck.

Back