mods

kirk

Being a repair technician for 29 years now i've seen a lot of techs modding amps in many many different ways,most of them professionally done,nice neat and clean.I recently received a bogner shiva with a mod done by a famous guy from this site and all i can say is really?sloppy,not clean and done cheaply and shady and charged a LOT money to the customer only to have it shake apart because it was worked so shitty and covered it to protect his shady mod,which by the way will make it impossible to change a simple vol pot!! . I know who the tech was that did the work and i am posting a picture of the shady work,those who know will know who did it,being a professional,i will not state his name,...what do you guys think? Is it fair to pay tons of dough for this kind of work? infact the clean mod with pot is the best mod done and it isn't hidden under crap and wax at all ,the distortion mod ,done with transistors i might add,not what i want in my tube amp,is ok and not really worth using IMO ,but the clean sounds good,i might use that...lol check out the picture ,would you pay for this kind of work??

Attachments

• cameronmod.jpg
    cameronmod.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 2,231
Ouch, that is a hack job if I have ever seen one. Makes me glad I do most of the work on amps myself....

How much is a LOT?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
(just kidding)
Looks like billy blades work :LOL: :LOL:
I'd be pissed if a pro sent me work like that.. I'd also name the guy :yes:
If your gonna do shitty work for money, you better be ready to get outed at some point ;)

Name em. Work that lazy deserves to be called out. Especially at the prices some of these clowns charge for $20 worth of parts and a few hours labor.

LP Freak":ac40mpxi said:
Professionals don't start troll threads
not a "troll thread"...just a public awareness thread ,if the mod didn't develop into a problem and didn't cost 300 bucks there would be no thread :gethim: lets ask the audience ,would everyone preferred i not post this work?Does the majority believe this to be a troll thread?

As a public service you need to out this guy. I would hate to send my amp to him, pay huge $$$ only to get that kind of work back. If you are gonna start a thread like this it doesnt help anybody if we dont know who the guy is.

phil b":2ovroh6n said:
As a public service you need to out this guy. I would hate to send my amp to him, pay huge $$$ only to get that kind of work back. If you are gonna start a thread like this it doesnt help anybody if we dont know who the guy is.
Exactly

That funny part is the amp probably fooking rocked. Mark isn't known for great cosmetic looking work but he sure gets some damm good tones from the speakers.

Kirk,

I don't know squat about wiring but I do know that you're going to need to improve your use of syntax and punctuation if you want to really get your point across in the way I believe you intend to.

In no way am I the grammar police but that was one heck of a read, particularly since you've been a tech for almost 30 years.

That does look terrible. But I find it interesting that you're thinking of borrowing one of his mods. Obviously you're free to do that, but as some one who's always disliked gooped mods, hearing that a tech with 29 years of experience wants to take one of Cameron's mods makes me realize why he might goop stuff. (The fact that you have 29 years of experience (I assume good experience) makes me think you haven't seen this type of mod before and that therefore it might be something unique that Cameron's come up with).

cardinal":2evzsn7n said:
That does look terrible. But I find it interesting that you're thinking of borrowing one of his mods. Obviously you're free to do that, but as some one who's always disliked gooped mods, hearing that a tech with 29 years of experience wants to take one of Cameron's mods makes me realize why he might goop stuff. (The fact that you have 29 years of experience (I assume good experience) makes me think you haven't seen this type of mod before and that therefore it might be something unique that Cameron's come up with).
I don't deny the tech doesn't know what he is doing,he just did a bad job doing it especially for what was charged.Gooping a mod is really dumb,all you need is a meter to figure out what was done.The mod would only be used in bogner shiva's to improve the clean channel,i have much better mods that are easier to install,sound just as good,imo,and cost a third of what was charged.The clean mod that was done i have seen before,just not in the shiva,it works well in there,the other gooped mod pretty much makes the gain control useless after 3 on the gain pot,after that it doesn't sound like it increases gain at all

Back