More Diezel Clipage

I can't say that I'm enjoying this tone as much as the others that you have posted. The overbearing mid content is completely blurring the drums in the mix and I'm hearing a lot of honk in the upper mids without that real overdriven sheen.

Yea, I've just heard it with a fresh pair of ears & I can see what you are talking about. It's been a long day. :yes:

On a side note, I'm very flattered, I'm surprised you've enjoyed any of the tones I've gotten, because I sure don't enjoy them myself ...... other than the mid-gain solos with the Herbert of course :D

Have you ever tried a Fatso by any chance?

I enjoyed all of your clips with v30's most. It's a better speaker, period. I'm not going to sit here and argue about why, but I'll tell you that every recording on your page with a V30 is less cloudy, has more sheen, and is more pleasing to listen to.

Honestly, I've never been super impressed with a Diezel that I've played (a just retubed VH4 in the same room as my modded 5150 II was a no contest that the 5150 had more clarity, bite, and was actually less honky). I really want to try a Herbert, and I may have a shot in the future to try one to make clips for Diezel's site (I hope), so that would be super nice.

I think aside from that EV speaker, you need to take a break from playing/listening to guitars for a day or two, sit down with a good pair of headphones in front of your amp head with your eyes closed and tweak it. A big issue that people have is allowing numbers, positions, dials, to interfere with their ears and what tone ultimately rocks the most.

Use that Maxon OD 820 Pro in front of your Herbert, mess with the presence, mid cut section, gain, etc, mic it up with a v30 loaded cabinet, and see what happens.

You and I are the 2 opposites of the sound specter! :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:

I can't stand the v30 clips & after reading your post I actually went ahead & tried v30s again & in all fairness they sound kinda better on consumer speakers, but when I listen through my headphones or monitors, I just can't tell you how much I hate that sound, scooped, kinda hollow, distant. I can clearly see how one would like them better & they definitely don't take much space from other instruments, but personally I just can't stand that sound. I listen through my latest album recorded half with v30s & half with EVMs and every time I hit the v30 tracks it sounds like someone came in & scooped half of the sound. I'm kinda looking forward to my Mesa Thieles, they shouldn't have that cloudy quality you are referring to comparing to the Bogners. Also if I find a job :LOL: :LOL: I'll be picking up a Mesa 4x12 again, I miss that cabinet, though I will be swapping at least 2 of the v30s to something else.

I appreciate the input, I am on a brake, I occasionally record something here & there, but that's it, I'm pretty much out of this business. It's actually a really cool feeling, I don't really want to try gear anymore. ;)

all the clean/low gain clips with the 101b sound pretty good. that acoustic song with the vocals and the violin samples is really neat as well, the way you structured that reverse intro sounds perfect. i love how it leads right into that arpeggio on the guitar. what pre/compressor did you use with those earthworks?

Holy shit, you went waaay back! I believe the Earthworks were through A-Designs MP2->ProVLA. QTC40s are amazing. The only condenser I wish I still had.

Back