Most versatile guitar suggestions

Dyllheaven88

Looking to sell off some of my more genre specific guitars for one all around one , something that can cover more ambient single note stuff to full on metal . Comfortably and ergonomic design are a huge plus ,

Budget is pretty open to mid to high end stuff !

If I wanted the most versatile guitar I could think of, I'd probably get an HSS strat of some kind with 22 frets (so the neck pickup lines up in the right place under the strings). Strat style tremolo but decked for tuning stability.

As for personal taste, I'd probably get something without a pickguard because I find they do something to "strat-ify" a guitar's tone, and if possible maybe a mahogany body / maple top because I've had a lot of luck with that wood combo for producing balanced and clear tones.

Hah, bubucci beat me to it. I'm basically describing the guitars he mentioned.

Yeah, high-end super Strat I reckon.

I recommend a Luke II (non-Floyd). Excellent "neutral" sound. The cleans are sublime and the bridge HB rocks big-time, but with no clear midrange bump, so no honkiness or overly-distinctive tone.

I also love the Suhr Modern Satin, but being all-mahogany, it's got a definite woody tone. Still versatile 'though, so maybe a good supplement to the Luke for times when you want the sound of wood. As a bonus it's the cheapest of the Suhrs, but by no means the worst-sounding. I had a Modern Pro once and it sounded like ass in comparison - thin, scratchy, cold, just terrible compared to the Satin that was half the price. I sent the Pro back and kept the Satin.

Obviously there'd be a plethora of options out there. I can only recommend these based on my ownership experiences.

I don't have any specific guitar I can recommend, but I can recommend a configuration to look for.

I'd go for something like this
-Solid alder body and maple/rosewood neck
-22 frets medium to medium jumbo
-Higher quality hardware that won't rob tone or deaden sustain
-Either hardtail or non floating tremolo bridge
-HSS or HSH pickup config having more than a standard 5 way, like coil splitting or series/parallel options
-You may also want to look at different after market pickups since that can have a big impact on versatility also.

PRS tend to fit this criteria quite well. I’d have a look at a DGT or Custom 22/24. I’d stay away from their models which have bespoke pickup sizes, I tend not to get on with PRS pickups and I’ve been stuck on more than one occasion because the pickup size is odd.

Outside of that the Musicman L3 is a good shout, the HH version splits very well. Also I look at a Suhr in HSH config.

HSS strat, most likely. TA or suhr is great.

I like more modern fenders for this purpose, just find pickups that work for your purposes.

PXL_20210824_225512194~2.jpg

I liked emg retroactives for my purposes.

Looking to sell off some of my more genre specific guitars for one all around one , something that can cover more ambient single note stuff to full on metal . Comfortably and ergonomic design are a huge plus ,

Budget is pretty open to mid to high end stuff !

Curious, what are the genre specific guitars you have that are not versatile enough?
This is a cool discussion on all-around great guitars, but I don’t feel like there is a specific sound I could not get with any one of my guitars with the proper effects.

Right now my 70s navigator lp and my usa Jackson ssh are the most versatile, I have a kemp kr3 with Emgs purely for metal , but my navigator is hard to classic rock punk thing and the Jackson is somewhere in the middle . But looking for something that excels at both really .

This guitar has a Tom Anderson H3+ in the bridge position (100% metal up your ass) and two SD Hotrails with coil splitting toggle switches. These Steinberger guitars are as stable and clear sounding as a piano. The neck is always perfect, wind, rain, cold, heat will not make it move and according to the literature, it will last for thousands of years. The vibrato system is excellent and as a bonus, you'll never break the headstock! Try that with an LP.

I'd put this guitar up against any guitar out there for playability, tone and versatility, it's goddamn electric.

Boogie

land by John Bazzano, on Flickr

I like these GR4's so much I bought another.

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

This guitar has a Tom Anderson H3+ in the bridge position (100% metal up your ass) and two SD Hotrails with coil splitting toggle switches. These Steinberger guitars are as stable and clear sounding as a piano. The neck is always perfect, wind, rain, cold, heat will not make it move and according to the literature, it will last for thousands of years. The vibrato system is excellent and as a bonus, you'll never break the headstock! Try that with an LP.

I'd put this guitar up against any guitar out there for playability, tone and versatility, it's goddamn electric.

Boogie

land by John Bazzano, on Flickr

I like these GR4's so much I bought another.

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr
Looking into these !

Suhr moderns with the hsh config can do everything. same with the standards if you don't want 24 frets. The modern has a ssh+ pickup which does metal.

I vote for PRS guitars. They can do just about anything very well. Of course my cheap ass only has experience with the SE line. (I've had many...all were fantastic).

So I can only imagine how much better a USA made one can be.

Back