Motor City Pickups -- TWreck

Fiesta Red

A member has a set of these for sale. I don't see them on his site. Are these his version of Gibson T-tops?

Yes his take on them. I wasn’t crazy about them, but I have at the moment actual ‘60’s T-Tops and not crazy about those either, so take it for what it’s worth. I find them a bit thin sounding for my taste. Not as rich, growly or midrangey as paf’s

I've never played real T-Tops, so I can't give a direct comparison; however, my understanding is also that its his take on them. I have a set that I've had in a couple of different guitars - one is a warm sounding flying V and the other a neutral sounding single cut style guitar. I thought they sounded great in those. They kind of have a slight hi-fi sort of thing going on. I also would say they aren't overly growly. They have more of a dynamic, percussive character to them. That said, you can raise them up a bit and they take on a fatter, saturated character that still maintains good clarity. They're super touchy on height adjustments. I'm not sure I've ever played a pickup that was so sensitive to adjustments.

Yes his take on them. I wasn’t crazy about them, but I have at the moment actual ‘60’s T-Tops and not crazy about those either, so take it for what it’s worth. I find them a bit thin sounding for my taste. Not as rich, growly or midrangey as paf’s

That's been my experience with T-Tops too. Thanks!

Braintheory to the rescue once again.
Ditto to literally all of your
‘Findings of the whindings’.
Man those Tone Specifics are RAD.
Particularly, the HSS set for a Strat.
Dude, those are seriously bad to the bone.
I know, the f’n price reflects the tone.
WB‘s would be my ultimate go too’s,
He’s been out of the biz for over a deccade.
And MCP’s are my other favorites.
I’ve learned over the years.
The most critical component in the pickups is
the f’n person playing the guitar and if he has the
ability to identify the inherent tones of the guitar
so he know WTF he needs out of the pickups to
compensate or extend what he’s doing with his fingers.
So much matters how he touches it,
Some dudes are just hacks so any Seymour Duncan will do and they won’t know the difference.
They just repeat what some other dude on gear forums said after they were not sure if it made any difference in the damn world…BUT!
Because that real popular guy on the forums swears by these pickups,
and he’ll repeat what he thought,
the other dude thought of what he heard.

Braintheory to the rescue once again.
Ditto to literally all of your
‘Findings of the whindings’.
Man those Tone Specifics are RAD.
Particularly, the HSS set for a Strat.
Dude, those are seriously bad to the bone.
I know, the f’n price reflects the tone.
WB‘s would be my ultimate go too’s,
He’s been out of the biz for over a deccade.
And MCP’s are my other favorites.
I’ve learned over the years.
The most critical component in the pickups is
the f’n person playing the guitar and if he has the
ability to identify the inherent tones of the guitar
so he know WTF he needs out of the pickups to
compensate or extend what he’s doing with his fingers.
So much matters how he touches it,
Some dudes are just hacks so any Seymour Duncan will do and they won’t know the difference.
They just repeat what some other dude on gear forums said after they were not sure if it made any difference in the damn world…BUT!
Because that real popular guy on the forums swears by these pickups,
and he’ll repeat what he thought,
the other dude thought of what he heard.
Yeah the WB’s I had I remember liking similarly well to Wolfetone’s. Agreed on the HSS’s. His single coils are to me his most impressive stuff, particularly the Deluxe Tele set and the ‘60’s deluxe & ‘59 blues strat sets. And yes to me what separates quality in pickups (or really and piece of musical gear) are those nuances in tone that I have trouble describing. They’re I think what separates gear that I find “nice” vs the ones that I think are magical. There’s a countless amount of “nice” practical gear made today, but I can probably count on one or 2 hands the amount that are magical/exceptional

Guys the TWrecks are design to get that vintage out of phase tone of Jimmi page out of phase tone when you plase pick up selector in the Middle position.

Back