Mrdan666 cali mod mini ampfest

Sounds like a blast. I'm a BONES owner myself, and will be shipping Mike an amp for the Cali Mod after the Holidays.

How were you guys running the AxeFx? (Power amp and 4x12?).

Digital Jams":11xy6kcu said:
I have both of the settings that you gave me printed out for use this Saturday :rock:

I used my GMW Superstrat for those settings and they sound crushing, so with your GMW's im sure it'll be almost identical :) :rock:

Darden":wu27vk6i said:
Sounds like a blast. I'm a BONES owner myself, and will be shipping Mike an amp for the Cali Mod after the Holidays.

Awesome, i'd love to try a Bones out soon! The work that goes into Mike's amps is just amazing, there are no compromises, just total high quality throughout :rock: You would love the Cali Mod i am sure!

We had the AxeFX hooked up to a solid-state poweramp and straight into a Marshall 1960AC cab (Greenback reissue speakers). Angus will probably chime in with the info on the poweramp, i can't remember what one it was. It sounded massive though :D

MrDan666":31my09r2 said:
Darden":31my09r2 said:

Awesome, i'd love to try a Bones out soon! The work that goes into Mike's amps is just amazing, there are no compromises, just total high quality throughout :rock: You would love the Cali Mod i am sure!

We had the AxeFX hooked up to a solid-state poweramp and straight into a Marshall 1960AC cab (Greenback reissue speakers). Angus will probably chime in with the info on the poweramp, i can't remember what one it was. It sounded massive though :D

That sounded massive! When you set the FX unit for the W/D/W rig, what effects are you using? I'm guessing the usual pitch/delay/chorus? Also how much do you set the delay times for each side?

cyndicate":1zbixmpa said:
That sounded massive! When you set the FX unit for the W/D/W rig, what effects are you using? I'm guessing the usual pitch/delay/chorus? Also how much do you set the delay times for each side?

Hey Will,

The FX being used in that clip was the Eventide Eclipse which Angus brought along with him. It was setup EVH style so there was Reverb, Delay and Micro-Pitch where you slightly offset the wet sides from each other. No chorus used, the Micropitch does almost the same thing but without the swirly sound that chorus creates.

Angus would know how the patch was setup, because it was one he had already created and stored previously.. so we just used it on the day of the ampfest with every amp we tested. I do know for a fact that we had 100% wet signal going to both wet cabs, so there wasn't any dry signal in the outside cabs at all.

FortinAmps":pu0bjcsl said:
Excellent Dan :rock:
Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Did stuff fall of the shelves in the living room :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Mike!

It was a great day and i just wish we didn't live so far from each other, because i wish you could have been there! :rock:

Hahah its funny you say that because the day before the ampfest, i actually was going to put sticky Blu-Tack underneath everything on the shelves in the living room... because i have actually had things falling off shelves before with a 100watt Marshall cranked through two 4x12 cabs :hys:

MrDan666":2vfbjffm said:
cyndicate":2vfbjffm said:

Hey Will,

The FX being used in that clip was the Eventide Eclipse which Angus brought along with him. It was setup EVH style so there was Reverb, Delay and Micro-Pitch where you slightly offset the wet sides from each other. No chorus used, the Micropitch does almost the same thing but without the swirly sound that chorus creates.

Angus would know how the patch was setup, because it was one he had already created and stored previously.. so we just used it on the day of the ampfest with every amp we tested. I do know for a fact that we had 100% wet signal going to both wet cabs, so there wasn't any dry signal in the outside cabs at all.

Cool, thanks for the info dan. All this W/D/W talk lately has made me want to pull a few unused cabs out of the garage and redo my W/D/W rig :LOL: :LOL: My poweramp has been out of play for a few months now :(

cyndicate":16kwrkuv said:
Cool, thanks for the info dan. All this W/D/W talk lately has made me want to pull a few unused cabs out of the garage and redo my W/D/W rig :LOL: :LOL: My poweramp has been out of play for a few months now :(

No problem man! Haha yeah after Saturday i'm wishing that i had enough space to run a full 3 cab W/D/W rig all the time! It sounds incredible, its by far the best possible way of running an amp rig IMO :rock:

If i actually had a big enough room to keep my gear in, i would run that way permanently. But most of the time i only have space for one or two 4x12's, so its usually a W/D rig which i use. Which sounds killer and almost as great as W/D/W, it's just slightly less 'big' sounding overall :yes:

Digital Jams":1cabbqip said:
Oh HELL YEAH!!!!!!

Nothing better than seeing that sexy bitch Angus 3' from a w/d/w rig bringing the heat :rock: Made my night!

Everyone knows my stance on the Cali mod, it has ended all gas for anything Marshall in the hotrod catagory, some know my past jonesing for a Cameron and that is over..............well unless Danhops sells his and the dibs list gets to me :LOL: :LOL: The best thing about the cali is that I have no reason to boost that amp, very easy to play after spending some time with it and the tone is already there.

Awesome day for you all that is for sure!

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Scott! I thought the w/d/w rig was just awesome! Y'know, I have the stuff to run it like that but never bothered to hook it all up, I just need to get my extra 4x12 from the rehearsal room :rock:

The Cali was great, super easy to play and sounded much better than I expected - fantastic. :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":31x8ni8v said:
MrDan666":31x8ni8v said:
Digital Jams":31x8ni8v said:
That is the cool part, most amps that are easy to play are compressed like the MK IV and JVM that I have but the Cali is way more open sounding and less compressed!

I find the Cali to be very percussive as well.......starting on the low E palm mute while playing a major scale over the E and A accending and decending...

1-3-5
1-3-5
5-3-1
5-3-1

You get this killer percussive thing going on and due to the amp being tight and fast tracking it sounds killer!!!! Gilbert would rule with this amp :D

Haha its funny you should mention that because when i hooked Angus up to the amp, set for tons of gain but in the Tight voicing, he mentioned about it having that Gilbert-style percussive snap even on the low notes :) That percussive attack on the notes is very cool, a lot of my fav players have that happening. Obviously Paul Gilbert is known for it, also Blues Saraceno gets that vibe spot on too! :rock:

Woah...........I am floored that I would be on the same page as a monster like Angus! I was reading what Chubtone Curt was looking for in his marshalls so I went home and was messing around with that and after a while I was laughing my balls off how killer it sounded :LOL: :LOL:

Scott, you know me - I just play the same licks all the time!! :LOL: :LOL: Funny how we all heard the same thing in the Cali mod, that Gilbert 'snap' is there which I love, very expressive amp and rolls off to clean and dirty blues tone really well.

MrDan666":33l97ug1 said:
Darden":33l97ug1 said:

I'd love to try out a Bones too. :thumbsup:

The power amp was an ART SLA2, basically the same setup as Mark Day. I was surprised at how well it held up against the others and we wern't even running it w/d/w.

AAAAAAAAAAAW YEAH!!!!!! Good times fellas and I don't need to tell you how much I love that Mod :rock: :rock: :rock:

You guys sound like you had a great time and Angus sounded fantastic as usual!!

Dan, you and Angus need to post more clips!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

flyangus":2dd6qv8g said:
I'd love to try out a Bones too. :thumbsup:

The power amp was an ART SLA2, basically the same setup as Mark Day. I was surprised at how well it held up against the others and we wern't even running it w/d/w.

Ahh that's right, I remember you mentioning Mark Day's rig when i asked about that poweramp :)

Yeah it sounded phenominal, and it was only hooked up to probably the weakest sounding cab out of the 3 that were there haha :D I had a LOT of fun playing with the AxeFX, i'd love to buy one sometime. I thought the quality of the actual delays/reverbs was stunning, as good as the Eventide IMO :rock:

Gainfreak":1yqkhz43 said:
AAAAAAAAAAAW YEAH!!!!!! Good times fellas and I don't need to tell you how much I love that Mod :rock: :rock: :rock:

You guys sound like you had a great time and Angus sounded fantastic as usual!!

Dan, you and Angus need to post more clips!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Yeah Angus was rippin it up, and Darren and Ian were too!! :rock:

I definitely plan to start posting more clips soon, i'm gonna buy one of those Zoom Q3's so i can do a bunch of videoclips demonstrating the different tones the Cali can get :) Those Zoom recorders are ideal for guys like me who have no patience when dealing with computers :D :LOL: :LOL:

Are the Axe-fx's effects REALLY on par with the Eventide Eclipse? From the clips I've heard, the Eclipse seems to be on another level quality/tone wise. If they really are even close then the Axe is a great value.

glassjaw7":18b2rnv8 said:
Are the Axe-fx's effects REALLY on par with the Eventide Eclipse? From the clips I've heard, the Eclipse seems to be on another level quality/tone wise. If they really are even close then the Axe is a great value.

IMO yes, the trails of the delay and reverb on the AxeFX were pristine and i get the impression that some of the FX were modelled around the Eventide style tone. I would need to spend a little more time tweaking the AxeFX to know for sure, but from the settings Angus had dialled in... I would say the FX from the AxeFX sounded every bit as good as the Eventide Eclipse setting we used that day!

Back