multi fx unit reccomendations

jetstrat

hey guys i was just wondering what multi fx units everyone runs with their mod 50s. i am looking for something that can do really nice reverbs and delays, something that runs well in the fx loop. i am really just looking for reverb, delay, chorus etc. don't need any distortions or anything much fancier than that just great quality fx. thanks in advance.

I use an Intellifex from Rocktron.
Great unit for the price. if you only want reverbs, delay and chorus, don't look any further.
I use it in the serial loop and when bypassed, it's like you've got nothing in the loop. :rock:

black_wizards":3tnb229n said:
I use an Intellifex from Rocktron.
Great unit for the price. if you only want reverbs, delay and chorus, don't look any further.
I use it in the serial loop and when bypassed, it's like you've got nothing in the loop. :rock:

The best budget ones are:

TC Electronic G Major 2
Lexicon MPX1
TC Electronic Nova System
Lexicon MPXG2
Rocktron Intellifex

If you want rack gear...I'd get a TC Gmajor 2 or MPX1. If you want a floor system....get the TC Nova System.

I tried Klark's out w/ my Mod50..and thought it sounded GREAT! :)

I have a line6 M13 which is great. You can only have 4 effects On at a time. Has alot of delays reverb filter and dirt pedals in it plus a 28 sec looper. Great all in one unit and can dial it in like a stomp pedal. Simple to use and Line6 keeps doing free upgrades and adding effects.

I have a TC g sys but use the line6 mostly.

jmgman69":3qwajtjt said:
Been running a Gmaj 2 in the series with better than expected results!!

+1 I'm using this with a Suhr MiniMix II to Parallel it... This way I'm bypassing most of the signal by the A to D / D to A converters.

Preserving all that analog tube goodness! :thumbsup:

Great, Great results!

Best,

Roid RAGE

I've been using a Line 6 M9, and been really happy with it - at least for chorus delay and reverb (although I mostly use the reverb in my Renegade). I've been wanting to try out a Nova System to compare, but haven't yet. Conventional Wisdom would say the Nova System should give more "studio-quality" delays, choruses and reverbs, being that it is from TC. OTOH, the quality of the L6 verbs, chorus, delay is really good - both the M9 and the M13 have the same effect algorithms that are in the Line 6 MM4 and DL4. I like the "stompbox simplicity" of the M9 - it works exactly like a stomp box - call up the model and tweak the knobs. You can set it so that it automatically saves any knob tweaks (just like how it would be with a real pedal), or so that you have to manually save. The Nova System looks pretty straightforward too, but seems a bit more deeper and menu-driven. I do want to give it a try though - the Pete Thorn video of the Nova System on the TC site is a pretty good selling point.

The other nice thing about the M9 is the size. The M13 and the Nova System are not as compact.

I think the weakest link on the M9 are the drive/distortion models, whereas the drive circuit on the Nova sounds pretty good, at least in the demos. I think the M9 drive models are ok if you want a Fuzz sound, or something lo-fi and "effect-like", but if you want a nice full drive/boost/distortion, I'd stick with individual pedals. I don't really use the drive models on the M9 - only the compressor sometimes and the EQ. On all of these points (EQ, compression, drive), I think the Nova definitely has the edge, at least from the demos of the Nova I've heard compared to what I hear out of my M9.

It would also be nice if the M9 could be powered from the Voodoo Pedal Power, but the Line 6 jacks on it say 250mA max, and are designed for the MM4, DL4, DM4. The M9 is rated 2A, so no go.

Resonant Alien/jlbaxe, doesn´t it require one of those level-shift boxes to run an M13/9 in a mod50 loop (series or parallel)?
I am also hunting for a new fx-unit, but the lack of line level inputs on the L6 devices made me NOT consider those.
I know I could turn down the channel masters, but that is a "if you´re really careful you might not screw something up" solution, and I´m not that careful...
How do you run yours?
Thanks,
Kristian.

I have mine in loop 8 of my gcx. I use it in front of the amp. For overdrive I use a rack and pedal tube driver, rack R2DU rat and then slave out of the mod to a TC 2290 into a rt2/50. The M13 infront of the amp is fine for me. I like some delay in front sometimes. I don't use the reverbs, Mod50 has the tank and the Mod100 has a furman rv1 in the para. Loop.

janosch":20ncwgfo said:
Resonant Alien/jlbaxe, doesn´t it require one of those level-shift boxes to run an M13/9 in a mod50 loop (series or parallel)?
I am also hunting for a new fx-unit, but the lack of line level inputs on the L6 devices made me NOT consider those.
I know I could turn down the channel masters, but that is a "if you´re really careful you might not screw something up" solution, and I´m not that careful...
How do you run yours?
Thanks,
Kristian.

I'm running in front of the amp. I haven't tried it in the loop (I have a Renegade, which I think has a switchable loop level). Sometimes I have it running through a Radial Big Shot MIX so that I don't send all of my signal through the M9, and use that to set the FX mix level.

I've become a big fan of the Gmajor2. The unit has excellent delays and verbs and most of the modulation effects are excellent. Alot of routing possibilities as well.

GMajor 2 is a killer setup for the Mod50. Have a friend running two of them...one in series and one in parallel..and it sounds awesome! My personal favorite is the MPXG2 though :)

Eric

aeroic":1rqlat8a said:
GMajor 2 is a killer setup for the Mod50. Have a friend running two of them...one in series and one in parallel..and it sounds awesome! My personal favorite is the MPXG2 though :)

Eric

I am loving my MPXG2. Great verbs and delays in that box.

I have also been remembering my old Ensoniq DP4. It was a great multi FX unit, and you can typically find them pretty cheap on eBay anymore. Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold that one.

mboogman":xtuqhxpf said:
aeroic":xtuqhxpf said:

Eric

I have also been remembering my old Ensoniq DP4. It was a great multi FX unit, and you can typically find them pretty cheap on eBay anymore. Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold that one.

Love the verbs and delays. The other effects are great too! I use the Phaser some, the Octabuzz some (with the mix at 70%), the flanger on the chorus block, and all sorts of delays (echo, digital, etc).

You have yours setup for V1.1? If not, call lexicon and get the V1.1 chip. Well worth it! :)

guitarslinger":129vty9r said:
Roland RSP-550

Best I ever heard. Only problem is it lagged baddly when switching from one patch to another. No way could I use it live. But the Chorus sounds ... OMG!!!

aeroic":2mqyx1sk said:
mboogman":2mqyx1sk said:
aeroic":2mqyx1sk said:

Eric

Love the verbs and delays. The other effects are great too! I use the Phaser some, the Octabuzz some (with the mix at 70%), the flanger on the chorus block, and all sorts of delays (echo, digital, etc).

You have yours setup for V1.1? If not, call lexicon and get the V1.1 chip. Well worth it! :)

Yeah. V1.1 made a huge difference. Definitely worth it!

Back