Musical styles

kingsryche

There's a lot of knowledge on this forum regarding gear but I have always wondered, what types of music are you playing thru your gear? For example, I grew up on 80's metal but am a serious afficionado of prog metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kamelot, et al). I also work on a lot of instrumental stuff like Andy Timmons, Marco Sfogli and of course Petrucci. My shred ability isn't at their level but I try to emulate their phrasing which is very emotive while working on the technical elements as well. I have a Rebel 20 which isn't quite heavy enough or voiced quite right for that type of music but with the BB Preamp hitting the front end I am in JCM800 territory and it gets me in the ballpark. So, curious as to which modules or amp (Renegade, Rebel, etc) you are using for what type of music?

For the styles you're going for (which dig on all of those) I'd recommend the EG5, COD, and a good clean module. Maybe the DLX. Between the EG5, and the COD you should be able to get just about any level of gain you desire, but totally different feels. Hope this helps.

K

mboogman":g8rh0oxn said:
For the styles you're going for (which dig on all of those) I'd recommend the EG5, COD, and a good clean module. Maybe the DLX. Between the EG5, and the COD you should be able to get just about any level of gain you desire, but totally different feels. Hope this helps.

K

Thanks man. Actually, when the E2 comes out the EG5 and COD modules are the first two on my list. Unless something comes of the Mesa Mark module which sounds promising. But my post is more geared towards what style of music you and the other forum members play and what modules or amp are you using to get there. Just curious what music you all spend your hours with and what is your recipe to get those tones :thumbsup:

I play country, blues, jazz and rock. I use the T/T and VX. I'm picking up a E2 when it becomes available. It will most likely have a Bman and a SL2X.

I'm using a BB Preamp, Keeley Compressor, (true bypass loop with a Arion SCH-1 and MXR 74 Phase 90) and a T-rex Replica in the loop. I like to keep my rig as simple as I can.

I live on the VX and EG3/4 for just about everything with occasional use of the EG5 for a brighter high gain sound. I use the guitar volume and tone controls a lot to change tones. I've also used the SL only a few gigs just hitting it with some pedals for extra gain. My point? The modular gear can cover a lot of ground in only a few modules.

muudrock":1zfi8yuc said:
I live on the VX and EG3/4 for just about everything with occasional use of the EG5 for a brighter high gain sound. I use the guitar volume and tone controls a lot to change tones. I've also used the SL only a few gigs just hitting it with some pedals for extra gain. My point? The modular gear can cover a lot of ground in only a few modules.

Hey muudrock, what type of music are you playing thru the EG3/4 versus the EG5? And do you use the VX for your clean or mid gain?

kingsryche":7g1h4xqv said:
muudrock":7g1h4xqv said:

Hey muudrock, what type of music are you playing thru the EG3/4 versus the EG5? And do you use the VX for your clean or mid gain?

I play all types of music in 3 different bands. The 4 modules I have in the M4 are the VX, DLX, EG3/4 and EG5. I have no problem covering any thing metal, rock or blues with these. I tend to use the EG5 for the more aggressive music (AIC, VH)and use the EG3/4 for the more classic Marshall tones (journey, zz top). VX is my bright clean, ch B is mid gained blues or with OCD or BB in front, a very good vintage brit/plexi thing. DLX is a warmer clean. and a different blues rock tone on ch b.

It's really impressive with the vast array of style you can cover with Egnater amps. I can honestly say that the Mod 50 is one of the coolest most fun amp to play that I've ever owned. It's so inspiring to be able to get great tones and cover so much ground.

Wagster":34t91ixg said:
I play country, blues, jazz and rock. I use the T/T and VX. I'm picking up a E2 when it becomes available. It will most likely have a Bman and a SL2X.

I'm using a BB Preamp, Keeley Compressor, (true bypass loop with a Arion SCH-1 and MXR 74 Phase 90) and a T-rex Replica in the loop. I like to keep my rig as simple as I can.

Hey Wagster, are you using the BB to add more gain to the VX? I understand the VX isn't a high gain module but you'll have that covered with the SL2X. Also, what type of rock are you covering with the VX?

I'm using the VX to cover everything from modern country to King's X. It also does a great job with bluesy strat tones. Channel B of the VX has a lot of gain. It's not as bright and punchy as a SL2X but can rock very hard in a Voxy way. I could do a gig all night with just the VX.

I'm using the BB Preamp with these settings.
Gain - 8:30 - 9:00
Volume - 12:00
Treble - 1:00
Bass - 2:00

Back