My 1st amp build!

ledvedder

I started my 1st build last week. It's going to be a 3 channel 20-25 watt 6v6 build. I'm combining the JCM800 type kit I got from Trinity Amps with a design from Headfirst Amplification, called the Mini. It's basically a 3 channel clean, plexi-like, BE 6v6 amp. Channels 2 and 3 are the same, but have switches for boost, BE, JBE, Plexi modes. It's slowly coming along, and I've been learning a ton as I go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVzqovRCppJ3yUsBA

Very nice.. looks like lots of fun. Post some video/sound clips of how this sounds when you're done.

Hell yeah dude. When you fire it up hit me up for any issues you may run into.

Also look into building a light bulb current limiter. Super easy and useful for first fire ups even with a variac.

Hell of an undertaking for a first build! Good luck!

I'd also recommend building an amp stethoscope (basically an output jack wired to the wiper of a 1M pot with test leads wired to the other lugs of the pot, one for ground and one through a coupling cap to block DC). Connect the ground lead to the chassis and use the other lead to tap in to points in the circuit, then adjust the pot and connect the output to some kind of amplified speaker you can use to listen to the output. It's extremely helpful for being able to trace an input signal through the signal path and figure out where any noise is coming from. Saved me a ton of headache of several occasions!

Back