My attempt at Brushed Nickel pickup covers...

Valtiel

I always thought these looked very classy on the right guitar. After lots of trial and error, even more ruined covers, and some strong language, ive finally come up with a handsome looking brushed nickel cover. Let me know what ya think!

P1131321.jpg

P1121318.jpg

They are beautiful :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I bet they dont show every last fingerprint either. I hate that about chrome cvrs. Great work!!

I'll echo the other comments and say that you did a great job. It does look very classy. :thumbsup:

Come on man ~ how did you do it ?
The covers on my Les Paul look like crap. :no:
To be honest I just did not care till I saw the pic.

I'm guessing wire cloth? Looks great.

I was helping this guy with his metal sculptures once. Doing like sanding and shit.. We tried wire cloth (like the ones you use on dishes but a bit tougher ones) on chrome pieces and got that exact look. It was awesome.

Found it!!! God I loved working on this thing. Hard to see the texture but I wanted to share :D
GTOseries2_1.jpg

Im selling em' for $40 bucks a pop! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I used pads that are similar to the green 3M Scotch-Brite you buy in supermarkets, they are just more coarse. The most important thing is making sure that you only "sand" in one direction along the length of the cover. Every little scratch will show up so you need to be careful. It also cant be done on chrome or gold plated covers, only nickel.

Valtiel":emy541wr said:
Im selling em' for $40 bucks a pop! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I used pads that are similar to the green 3M Scotch-Brite you buy in supermarkets, they are just more coarse. The most important thing is making sure that you only "sand" in one direction along the length of the cover. Every little scratch will show up so you need to be careful. It also cant be done on chrome or gold plated covers, only nickel.

I'll disagree on that last bit. I did it on chrome before (that sculpture on the pic) and it works. Maybe I was using a harder grade of that cloth though.

Where did you find the correct nickel covers, and do you think they'd fit standard spaced Seymour Duncan pickups?

Jordon":3lq6ct1x said:
Where did you find the correct nickel covers, and do you think they'd fit standard spaced Seymour Duncan pickups?

I got them from Mojomusicalsupply.com. They come in 3 different spacings that should fit any humbucker. The only thing to be concerned about is the pole pieces, ive had pole pieces on some pickups (Fralins) that are too big to fit through the pole piece holes.

Back