My Bogner XTC channel pop switching clean to dirty and some pre EQ pop...

hopkinWFG

just didnt notice such things when i got it... but i been having fun with this amp and till i switched from clean to red via the front panel without Footswitch... and it pops... tested both clean to blue and clean to red too... and same goes with those EQ pops as i wonder any XTC users here experience it? normal? thanks in advance ;)

No not normal. It means there is DC on at least one relay, and for that to occur, you may have one or many coupling caps that are leaking DC. To fix that problem you’ll need a good tech.

Ouch... I thought it's a glorious amp.. it just sound so good recently I played... Btw thanks for helping I probably do something about it...

Ouch... I thought it's a glorious amp.. it just sound so good recently I played... Btw thanks for helping I probably do something about it...
They are glorious. I’ve got a cutout issue to resolve on my XTC. I still won’t sell it - literally one of the best sounding amps I’ve ever heard. I enjoy boosting channel 2 with an SD-1.

They’re showing their age and their high B+ is not kind to parts. They’re also massively complex.

They are glorious. I’ve got a cutout issue to resolve on my XTC. I still won’t sell it - literally one of the best sounding amps I’ve ever heard. I enjoy boosting channel 2 with an SD-1.

They’re showing their age and their high B+ is not kind to parts. They’re also massively complex.
Volume cut out? Perhaps it's running too hot and too high of a bias? Or check all ya node supplies those AC caps?

I have no good tech here and I don't trust my bogner on them... Shipping back to USA be too costly..I perhaps wanna try spotting those DC coupling caps and change them at a go.... Thanks for ya inputs...

No it’s very very fast. I think it’s a cold solder joint related to the standby circuit but I’m not sure. Only happens on chugs with the volume turned up and cabinets moving some air. You have to have an ear to catch it - it’s very very fast and returns very very fast.

Good luck on your hunt to resolve it! Keep us updated - they are worth it 10 fold.

No it’s very very fast. I think it’s a cold solder joint related to the standby circuit but I’m not sure. Only happens on chugs with the volume turned up and cabinets moving some air. You have to have an ear to catch it - it’s very very fast and returns very very fast.

Good luck on your hunt to resolve it! Keep us updated - they are worth it 10 fold.
Ouch... Thanks 👍 I hope am not taking too long ...

just didnt notice such things when i got it... but i been having fun with this amp and till i switched from clean to red via the front panel without Footswitch... and it pops... tested both clean to blue and clean to red too... and same goes with those EQ pops as i wonder any XTC users here experience it? normal? thanks in advance ;)
This is very common on the Ecstasy.....also sometimes when engaging the loop. I have had literally a dozen 101b and 4 or 5 100b. IIRC they all made popping nosies, although not necessarily every time you switch channels etc. I have spoken with both Reinhold and Jorge when I first noticed it on a 101b back in the 90's. They both said it is a normal byproduct of the type of relays used. I would not sweat it at all. Totally normal and par for the course.

Last edited:
I have read on ways to measure if there s any coupling DC cap leak.. is to measure each power tube grid pins on the output tubes... I probably think I also wind down the volume and measure all signal path on the preamp side... I guess that should be able to tell huh... Switching the meter on DC... Hope mine is fine.... If pops is generic on xtc I am just done on it and accept that... Heard DC leaks will cause havoc on the output transformers... Hell no I would close an eye on it... Mine is an early xtc with the highly sought after mercury transformers whom people dwells on.... Any advise on to what I propose here?

I have read on ways to measure if there s any coupling DC cap leak.. is to measure each power tube grid pins on the output tubes... I probably think I also wind down the volume and measure all signal path on the preamp side... I guess that should be able to tell huh... Switching the meter on DC... Hope mine is fine.... If pops is generic on xtc I am just done on it and accept that... Heard DC leaks will cause havoc on the output transformers... Hell no I would close an eye on it... Mine is an early xtc with the highly sought after mercury transformers whom people dwells on.... Any advise on to what I propose here?
Email Bogner. They have always been great on answering questions etc.

This is very common on the Ecstasy.....also sometimes when engaging the loop. I have had literally a dozen 101b and 4 or 5 100b. IIRC they all made popping nosies, although not necessarily every time you switch channels etc. I have spoken with both Reinhold and Jorge when I first noticed it on a 101b back in the 90's. They both said it is a normal byproduct of the type of relays used. I would not sweat it at all. Totally normal and par for the course.
The above statement answers the issue perfectly! I’ve had a handful of XTC’s as well and they all popped (switching channels and Effects Loop on/off) every now and then...as stated, Reinhold says they opted for the quality “relays” and some popping is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Back