My cat Junior

Floyd Eye

So I got this cat. He was abandoned by a neighbor who's husband died leaving her penniless. Well, she didn't really abandon him. She had to abandon her house and move back where her family is from in God's country ( South Dakota). She managed to get nice homes for all her cats ( she had about 8) except Junior. I did not want Junior to go to a shelter, even though the one we have is very nice, is a no kill shelter and has a near 100% adoption rate. So I did what anyone would do. I bought her house and let the cat live in it. He's an inside/outside cat so for a year now I have been letting him in at night out in the morning, in during rain and cold, etc. This house connects to my property and the little guy is always over here. Following me around. I am his person for sure. I also have 2 strictly inside cats in my house so I don't let Junior in. My cat Jeff wants to kill him I think.

Anyway, Junior is a very social cat. He loves people and he wants to hang out with the other cats, but all the outside cats around here are pricks and beat him up. So he pretty much just hangs out here looking in my back doors and killing the hell out of all the moles and birds. My wife and I feel bad because you know he wants a family and he wants to be around people and other cats. He came from a place where he had 8 other cats to hang out with. I don't think he's unhappy. I go over and hang out with him every night after work. He hangs out in the garage with me when I'm out there welding or whatever. I do feel bad when I have to go back in and I live him in his house by himself.
So the wife has been on me to find him a home. I ignored her bitching until it culminated in a massive fight. She wants to put her bird feeders back up, but won't as long as it amounts to baiting them in for Junior to kill ( He really likes Cardinals apparently, but when he got a Chickadee the wife flipped out). Well I got a buddy at work who lives out in the sticks even more than I do. His wife has a pile of cats. It's really a good situation for Junior I think. Other cats, kids, a woman who will love him. So I am taking Junior out to him Saturday morning.

I feel bad. Like I'm abandoning my cat. And I love him and I'm going to miss him. I think he will be happy, but I know he will be scared for a little while first.

Here's Junior in his house around Christmas time. My wife got him his own tree.

H7UrM7C.jpg

I took Junior to his new home this morning. It was a fucking terrible experience and I am crushed. He is however someplace where I think he will be happier. Several other cats, a couple kids, a loving "Cat lady" who will dote on him.

Still sucks balls.

Well I know you all been waiting on the edge of your chairs for news about Junior so here it is. He is no longer hiding in the crawl space until they all leave. He won’t come to them when they call him, but he doesn’t run and hide anymore. And he will lean into them for a petting. And purr. So I think he’s going to be happy there.

Back