My Favorite VH Tone

VH II for me.......and I owned an amp that got very close to those tones. The Mojave Peacemaker. Not that I could play any of that stuff, but man, Victor built that tone into the amp, IMO anyway.
The Scorpion was there as well. Awesome amps.

VHII or FW in a vacuum. But the whole vibe of VH warts and all is really killer too.

And 1984 was such a killer crank it cassette in my tiny Honda Civic with Alpine receiver and Jensen CoAxials custom built-in to the side panels (with plywood, by me). That record and Rush Moving Pictures were regulars because they just worked in that car. :cool:

This. I was struggling trying to think of one of his tones I don’t like. I even like the 5150 tone.
I totally agree.

I do like some tones more than others but the thing is...even the least great tones are still great.

So even though Diver Down may be my least favorite VH album, it is still a killer album and rises above many many others. I'd rather listen to Diver Down than any Dokken for example, and I love Dokken.

But all the albums have enough difference and variety it really shakes it up. I realize that a lot more now that I'm older than I did when I was young. When I was young - all the tones were a hell of lot closer together if that makes sense. Now? VH1 to VH2 = different. FW = different. DD = different. 1984 = different. 5150 = different. Etc etc

VH II for me.......and I owned an amp that got very close to those tones. The Mojave Peacemaker. Not that I could play any of that stuff, but man, Victor built that tone into the amp, IMO anyway.
C-slice!
had i not seen and heard Victor nail VH tone with my own eyes i may have never believed it was possible. so many companies back then claimed their products sounded like VH but Victor/Mojave was the first to execute in my book.

$50 nux plexi crunch pedal into my PM with dd-2 delay isn’t forensic EVH tone but close enough for a fan like me!

Sorry no vs for me. Ed slinging the axe is the magic. I like all of his tones during the various recordings.

How can you argue any one is better than the other. All primo.

I´ve realized I dig just about every era for some reason or other. All great. Eddie and Steve Lukather, oh boy, those dudes always had some sounds. Every amp I have and every tone I use goes back to one or both of those cats.

Back