My Rebel's never sounded better!

kingsryche

I've had my Rebel a little over a year now and I love it. But this past week I made the following upgrades to my set up:

1) Replaced a Visual Sound 1-Spot with a BBE Supa Charger
2) Replaced my cheap but effective Warwick pedalboard with a PedalTrain PT-2
3) Rewired the board with George L's (new board so time for new cables ;) )

NOW, everything is SO QUIET and crystal clear that I had to adjust my EQ settings a bit because it was more trebly and biting than before. It just goes to show you the synergistic nature of a guitar/amp setup and how everything interacts and has an effect on tone. This little amp is even more of a fire breathing monster than before! :rock:

I had a Rebel breakthrough myself. I added a Blackstar pedal. I bought a 4x12 cab. And I tried something that I read at TGP. I had been running master down / gain up. I switched to master up / gain down. Now with just a little bit of input boost from the Blackstar the Rebel gets into the sweet spot really quickly and at a fairly low volume. The overall noise seems much lower as well.

I rearranged my tubes again and ended up with 5751's in V1 V2 again, which seem to compliment this setup better than the Tung Sols.

JWW

I would love to get a TM212. I was running the Rebel a little louder than usual today as my wife and daughter were out of the house and my little 1x12 cab just sounded so HUGE. I would love to run thru a bigger cab and while a 4x12 would be overkill for me, I bet it sounds monstrous!

Surprisingly, in my room and at my volumes, there is not all that much difference in the tone between the Rebel 1x12 and the 4x12. (The 4x12 is a used Carvin Legacy with V30's). The main difference is that the 4x12 is a little more even, so I can use less overall eq with the 4x12. In a big room the 4x12 might have more of an advantage. (It sounded fantastic at GC with a Rebel head.)

GC was out of TM 212's when I decided to shop for cabs, or I might have ended up with one of those instead. I would have liked to try out the open back option.

JWW

Back