My SL impressions...

Valtiel

So ive had the SL for a bit now, thought id share my opinions on it.

Based on the Indoor Storm Demos, I had written off this module as it didnt sound like something I would use. But aeoric's and Czajkowski's enthusiasm for it got my attention awhile back. Overall it is definitely a keeper. Its got this really fat, syupy tone that feels great to play, very saggy and soft feeling. It can nail that "woman" neck pickup tone, even with the Fralin P-92 in the neck of my PRS it is very smooth and wooly. It has a really nice bloom on the bridge pickup, the overtones really spill out all over the place. I havent experimented with boosts yet though so i'll report back on that later.

Now I know what some of you guys have been talking about with this thing. :D :rock:

Calling Aoeric (or anyone else who loves making clips)!!!

Can someone make a clip of the range of the Channel A on the SL? I really want to hear exactly HOW clean it can go...

Perhaps starting with the gain at 9:00, then 11:00, then 1:00, then 3:00... that would be incredible.

:D :D :D :D

RockStarNick":2wz0ysbj said:

Can someone make a clip of the range of the Channel A on the SL? I really want to hear exactly HOW clean it can go...

Perhaps starting with the gain at 9:00, then 11:00, then 1:00, then 3:00... that would be incredible.

Will do in the next day or so :). It's not sparkling super high end Twin clean. It's rather a warm, juicy, thick, with a bit of grit on the edges "cleaner" tone. I am using it a lot nowadays. Both channels take pedals REALLY well. Definitely can get in the realm of "violinish" tone with it. Even moreso if you had a cab w/ greenbacks.

Eric

aeroic":3qgxe4y0 said:
RockStarNick":3qgxe4y0 said:

Definitely can get in the realm of "violinish" tone with it. Even moreso if you had a cab w/ greenbacks.

Eric

I can attest to that! My two cabs have the Heritage Greenies and the Heritage 65's, fiddle tone for days! :D

Eric, do you have a BMAN as well? Now I'm REALLY pushing my luck... but perhaps an additional clip of the BMAN channel A, at the same exact knob "clock" positions?

Pretty please? :D :yes: :thumbsup:

RockStarNick":3o145u4u said:
Eric, do you have a BMAN as well? Now I'm REALLY pushing my luck... but perhaps an additional clip of the BMAN channel A, at the same exact knob "clock" positions?

Pretty please? :D :yes: :thumbsup:

That I don't have. I've never really dug that BMAN. I had a 2-channel version, and sold it. Then got a 1-channel version...and sold it too. Talk Matt into sending me his, and I can do some recordings!

Eric

Started out all about the SL and used it along side the EG3/4. Than I pulled the SL and stuck in the Bassman with the EG3/4. Nice, bette rclean tones. Last night I went to Bassman and SL with Mojo Hand Huckleberry Fuzz > Freakshow 9 Booster > Xotic BB > Zen Drive > Mojo Hand Luna Vibe.

I'm working on my new Americana/Roots Rock, Neil Young, Eagles, James Gang, Poco licks and tones for a gig a may have for a while with fairly big local artist. I picked up a cool Tele at the Arlington Show last weekend.

The SL is perfect for this set up as it gives me a couple of high gain options, especially with the BB and the Huckleberry Fuzz. It's a great module for pedals and straight out rock tones!!!

I've recently (re) discovered the SL module. I never spent much time with it but thanks to me bringing that module to a show rather than the SL2, I discovered how versatile it is. It may just be a honeymoon phase, but I am preferring channel A set clean over the T/D. I've also discovered that it seems very responsive to V1 tube changes--moreso than the higher gain modules.
I have a few samples recorded and if I can find the time I will get them sorted out posted here with whatever Eric puts up.

muudrock":1ivov1dw said:
I've also discovered that it seems very responsive to V1 tube changes--moreso than the higher gain modules.

I agree. Most of the time, fewer gain stages will equal a more noticeable change with tube swaps.

Man... I'm with you guys! I run an SL with an OCD and that's a sweet combo! I like both channels, but I don't set the gain high on either. My only complaint (and not really one at all), is regarding the difference in bottom from A to B.... makes me usually settle on one and leave it there.

I also have a B'man (even more bottom). It's great in a cleaner but rounder kind of way.

My favorite combo currently is SL and VX in my MOD 50. I'been wanting to try an SL2 to see if I can get rid of the OCD and just use my volume knob for gain (which I do now, but as good as the OCD is, I can't ever quite get to a place that's the same as the guitar cranked without the pedal).

I've only had mine for a few months, so I'm still getting the feel of it. Thanks to all on this forum I've learned a ton!

Valtiel":3qy0e1ng said:
muudrock":3qy0e1ng said:
I've also discovered that it seems very responsive to V1 tube changes--moreso than the higher gain modules.

I agree. Most of the time, fewer gain stages will equal a more noticeable change with tube swaps.

I'm kinda digging the Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1. It's adds a lttle bit of a more high gain feels to it. EH in V2. Sounds pretty sweet.

3 Mile Stone":3ouf2a0a said:
Valtiel":3ouf2a0a said:
muudrock":3ouf2a0a said:

I'm kinda digging the Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1. It's adds a lttle bit of a more high gain feels to it. EH in V2. Sounds pretty sweet.

Ive got a pretty strong pair of NOS Mullard 12AX7's that im using the the SL right now. Such a cool tone.

3 Mile Stone":1kdsq8v7 said:
That my friend is how it's done. Where'd you gettum? Big bucks???

Haha yea, fairly big bucks. I think it was $200 for the pair. I got em' on ebay, which is a gamble, but they tested strong and have performed great thusfar. Saving the Tung-Sol's for the VX I have on the way.

guitarslinger":ajwslxqi said:
I can't wait to try some OD/Dist pedals with it. :rock:

IMHO, the SL mod loves boosts and OD pedals. It just eats up all the pedals I've tried with it. Haven't yet tried a fuzz, though. (don't own one.)

I could be happy playing an entire gig with the SL module and an od pedal.

I just came back from the Arlington Guitar Show with um ... well.

A lot of pedals :scared:

Tone Factor Huckle Berry Fuzz sounds better so far through the Bassman as does the Zen Drive. Everything else and especially the Xotic BB really shines through the SL. It is the one module I would break out to squash any none believers.

come on guys stop talking about that Xotic BB.....im dying to buy one but im waiting on my M4 before i start spending any more. Now it looks lik the end of November,hope i get it before Xmas.

Back