My WGS Reaper vs Hellatone 30 (G12H) comparison

troublehead

I know everyone will be screaming for clips, but I haven't got around to doing that yet.............but

Today I received a brand new pair of Reaper 30 watt 75hZ speakers. My original idea was to replace the Veteran 30's in my 4x12 and run a mix of Hellatone 30's/WGS Reapers.

Before I took the plunge, I decided to load up each pair independently in an empty Mather custom 2x12 (essentially a Bogner OS clone). My Hellatones are about 3 months old and have taken plenty of heavy pounding at gig levels. The Reapers are brand new out of the box.

Hellatone 30's first........sounded OK, a bit fizzy on top, somewhat scooped.........found myself rolling off treble/presence and cranking the mids to find what I wanted. Rhythms decent but lead tones were thin and "scratchy"

WGS Reapers next.......immediately noticed how much smoother they were on the highest of frequencies, definately more and warmer mids, low end appeared the same. Didn't have the above problem with lead playing

Next I loaded one of each in the 2x12 to make sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me...........used a heavy pillow to block each side independently so I could hear the single speaker as best possible:

The WGS is louder (which I wasn't expecting), has noticeably more mids, and definately not high end harsh like the Hellatone. The Hellatone might have a slight advantage in "bigness" of the low end, but to be honest I think it is the mid dip that is making my ears hear that. The Reaper on the other hand appears to have less, but tighter/more controlled bass........definately not a lack of.

Bottom line is I am selling my Hellatone 30's and decided the Reapers are going in with the Veteran 30's :thumbsup:

Back