My Zack Wylde AxeFX preset (camera in room audio ya'll dig)

RevDrucifer

I threw this preset together after Leon Todd made delay and flanger blocks replicating the Yamaha SPX-90. I rarely plug into a guitar cab these days, but felt like shaking some walls so I'm plugged into the return of a solid state Peavey XXL head feeding a 2x12 with WGS Retro 30's. Just a really quick clip, but figured I'd toss it up for shats and gaggles.

It's funny; pictures are rattling on the walls and my ears are ringing, but you can still hear that fucking pick hitting the strings in the camera audio. 😂

JR-OZ

I threw this preset together after Leon Todd made delay and flanger blocks replicating the Yamaha SPX-90. I rarely plug into a guitar cab these days, but felt like shaking some walls so I'm plugged into the return of a solid state Peavey XXL head feeding a 2x12 with WGS Retro 30's. Just a really quick clip, but figured I'd toss it up for shats and gaggles.

It's funny; pictures are rattling on the walls and my ears are ringing, but you can still hear that fucking pick hitting the strings in the camera audio. 😂

Killer Dude

RevDrucifer

Thanks, gents!

It's been fun cranking up through the 2x12 and I really need to shoot my own IR's of this cab. It's just a Line 6 piece of shit, but the speakers sound pretty damn good. Like slightly tamed V30. It was originally sold to me under the guise of having V30's, I hauled this thing around for almost 20 years thinking it had some shit version of V30's Line 6 bought for a discount or something, turns out, they were Line 6's version of an FRFR they sold back in the day with their Flextone amps. No wonder it sounded like shit. 😂

Shask

Do you need the Flanger and Delay block, or one or the other? I was watching his video on that the other day thinking I would try to replicate that on other units.

Cool sound!

RevDrucifer

Do you need the Flanger and Delay block, or one or the other? I was watching his video on that the other day thinking I would try to replicate that on other units.

Cool sound!

It definitely sounds best with both, but the flanger block is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. The delay is doing more of a doubling kind of thing, it's certainly not subtle and is creating the big factor, but the main thing giving it the SPX-90 sound if the flanger.

harddriver

Sounded great Rev.... I wish I have the patience to tweak something like AXEFX but I don't and I'm good with that. You guys willing to do the heavy lifting tweaking the parameters of AXE/FX and Kemper do yield some great results, that can't be denied.:2thumbsup:

RevDrucifer

Sounded great Rev.... I wish I have the patience to tweak something like AXEFX but I don't and I'm good with that. You guys willing to do the heavy lifting tweaking the parameters of AXE/FX and Kemper do yield some great results, that can't be denied.:2thumbsup:

Dude, after the Cygnus update, as someone who enjoys tweaking, I’m a little bummed. It was enough of a change that I had to re-do all my existing presets, mainly the IR’s needed to be changed. What I ended up realizing was that I’m relying on the IR MUCH more than I was before. If I had to put in into Floyd Rose terms; the IR is the tuning machines and the amp block is the fine tuners.

I have a bunch of ‘utility’ presets that are just an amp and cab, no effects at all, that I use for re-amping when I record. I currently have 9 different amps that I did not tweak at all, just found an IR and pressed Save. I could use any of those amps in a gig or recording right now and only need to tweak to fit the actual mix.

I think the biggest effect Cygnus is going to have won’t be seen for a few more months. The AxeFX definitely has a reputation of being a pain in the ass to program. That’s certainly true if you’re trying to do everything from the front panel. But once people start realizing how little tweaking they have to do to make a new preset and get a killer tone, I think that reputation will slowly start to change.

RevDrucifer

Yes! Well done. I need to watch that Leon Todd vid to play around with that.

He made a post about it on the Fractal forum where he posted both the blocks. If you search for SPX-90 it’ll pop up!

I didn’t even tweak them. I played around with the routing a little bit and have them running in parallel, with the flanger feeding the delay.

fek

He made a post about it on the Fractal forum where he posted both the blocks. If you search for SPX-90 it’ll pop up!

I didn’t even tweak them. I played around with the routing a little bit and have them running in parallel, with the flanger feeding the delay.

Yeah I missed the Fractal part of this when I first listened. I do have a Boss DD-500 though and saw some vids on how to get close with that unit. Will play around with it and set up a patch for fun.

RevDrucifer

Yeah I missed the Fractal part of this when I first listened. I do have a Boss DD-500 though and saw some vids on how to get close with that unit. Will play around with it and set up a patch for fun.

I’ll try to remember to come back later, I believe I posted screenshots of the Flanger and Delay blocks. I can post them over here and it’ll at least give you some starting points to hopefully match up in the DD-500!