NAD- 1994 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb (Clips )

I'll echo this and just add that you should really take time to work with both channels cloned to vintage and both channels cloned to modern. If you clone "red to vintage" on the back of the amp and then operate on the red channel you will have both presence knobs active in the circuit, but they are of different values and different placements in the circuit. So you'll be on red channel and the orange presence will set the overall brightness of the amp, and then red's presence will interact within the red's tone-stack like usual on a rectifier.

I like both orange and red when in modern. It just depends on the guitar/pickups/boost I'm using.
Red modern will give you this instand classic Recto tone. Think of 2000s Metalcore and NuMetal etc. when boosted or the pop-punk thing unboosted.
People that don`t like that sound seem to really enjoy orange to modern.

I looked up a bit and I found this info " Bold and Silicon for tight fast rhythm playing. It has a faster attack and more dynamics. It's a more aggressive sound. I usually use it for highgain. Tube rectifier and spongy in any combination has a slower attack and a more compressed feel and sound can be nice for lead playing. Spongy can be real nice for medium gain crunch stuff. But usually use bold. Besides the tone change notice how the 4 different combinations of these two switches effect harmonics, attack speed and compression. It has a big effect on the feel."
What do you guyz think ?

I only ever use diode rectifier and bold power.

Most modern amps since the 70’s have used diode rectifiers. The Mesa rectifier is one of the few non ‘vintage style’ amp to have a tube rectifier option.

The bold/spongy is a power setting, bold is standard, spongy is like using a variac and dropping the voltage about 20%.

I looked up a bit and I found this info " Bold and Silicon for tight fast rhythm playing. It has a faster attack and more dynamics. It's a more aggressive sound. I usually use it for highgain. Tube rectifier and spongy in any combination has a slower attack and a more compressed feel and sound can be nice for lead playing. Spongy can be real nice for medium gain crunch stuff. But usually use bold. Besides the tone change notice how the 4 different combinations of these two switches effect harmonics, attack speed and compression. It has a big effect on the feel."
What do you guyz think ?
I’d somewhat agree. I mostly stay on bold and silicon on my Recto’s for that reason, but the tube rectification mode can sound more thick and 3D and with good quality tubes (like Winged C 5U4’s or almost any GZ34) it isn’t far behind silicon mode in tightness. It is just a little quieter though also in tube rectification mode

What do you guyz think ?
I use all the settings. It just depends on which setup I'm using and the volume more than anything else. If you want to play at home practice-alone levels then you'll love spongy. Tube rectification is actually awesome. It doesn't reduce rightness and attack by much but it does seem to reduce the ultra-highs and thicken the low-end. Try all the settings. You might prefer these settings with this cab and those settings with that cab,,,,,,never know.

Judging by your clips, you know what you’re doing and you’ll figure it out in no time at all.
I dig silicone and tube equally. Silicone is tighter, tube thicker, both killer. For your tones, you’ll probably dig bold more than spongy. I prefer orange to red, both in modern. Orange is much more raw and aggressive, with a meaner lower mid voicing.…Also clean boost it with the amps gain around noon for a good starting point...I dig the presence dimed, and then adjust treble to the sweet spot for maximum aggression…Lastly, experiment with the tubes. 6L6’s are what most consider the Recto tone, but I prefer them with EL34’s. They make them tighter, punchier, and more aggressive, especially in the mids. JJ E34L’s work really well. I just put a quad of Winged C 34’s in my Rev C and the difference was startling. They lit a fire under the amps ass, no shit. Nothing better than a properly dialed in Recto.
Looking forward to your clips! 🤘

Judging by your clips, you know what you’re doing and you’ll figure it out in no time at all.
I dig silicone and tube equally. Silicone is tighter, tube thicker, both killer. For your tones, you’ll probably dig bold more than spongy. I prefer orange to red, both in modern. Orange is much more raw and aggressive, with a meaner lower mid voicing.…Also clean boost it with the amps gain around noon for a good starting point...I dig the presence dimed, and then adjust treble to the sweet spot for maximum aggression…Lastly, experiment with the tubes. 6L6’s are what most consider the Recto tone, but I prefer them with EL34’s. They make them tighter, punchier, and more aggressive, especially in the mids. JJ E34L’s work really well. I just put a quad of Winged C 34’s in my Rev C and the difference was startling. They lit a fire under the amps ass, no shit. Nothing better than a properly dialed in Recto.
Looking forward to your clips! 🤘
Let’s not give too much away now, lol jk. The Winged C’s are cheating because it makes it a lot harder to dial in a bad tone lol. EL34’s are my favs in it too. The vintage US 5881’s can be cool too for something different. Better tone imo than 6L6GC’s for that tube family and usually cheaper too. Some of the old USA 6CA7 can be cool too for a little different flavor. My favs being the GE’s and Sylvania’s cool too for something crisper, but more hollow

The Red Channel just exists to distract from what the amp is really about and fool one into thinking they’re overrated LOL. That’s how I was in the past when I tried Rev F’s, crossing Recto’s off my list because I didn’t know about the orange ch back then :(

Let’s not give too much away now, lol jk. The Winged C’s are cheating because it makes it a lot harder to dial in a bad tone lol. EL34’s are my favs in it too. The vintage US 5881’s can be cool too for something different. Better tone imo than 6L6GC’s for that tube family and usually cheaper too. Some of the old USA 6CA7 can be cool too for a little different flavor. My favs being the GE’s and Sylvania’s cool too for something crisper, but more hollow

The Red Channel just exists to distract from what the amp is really about and fool one into thinking they’re overrated LOL. That’s how I was in the past when I tried Rev F’s, crossing Recto’s off my list because I didn’t know about the orange ch back then :(
I’ve said too much!!! Hahahaaa
Compared to 34’s, 6L6’s sound tired and bloated imo.
I live on Orange/Modern. That amp could be a single channel for all I gaf.

I’ve said too much!!! Hahahaaa
Compared to 34’s, 6L6’s sound tired and bloated imo.
I live on Orange/Modern. That amp could be a single channel for all I gaf.
Would probably sound even a little better if it were just the orange ch haha. I think the US 5881’s can be cool in them sometimes too, nice low mid chewiness and warmth to some of them and more American flavor, but at least 95% of the time just stick with 34’s

Got my tremoverb combo for $399 about 6 years ago or so, great amp but I do need to take it in to get some ldrs replaced etc. Thought reverb was dead on my rivera-era super champ too for god knows how many years. Took it apart and cleaned everything and used contact cleaner and it’s working great. Kicking myself for not doing that years ago, lol.

Back