NAD! Amplified Nation Overdrive Reverb! The bucket list finisher!!

fretmaster

After being taken to a new level of tonal and tactile bliss from my first Amplified Nation amp, the Ampliphonix & Gain, I just had to go all in and get the flagship Overdrive Reverb too!! She arrived today, and while I don't want to go off on a honey moon rant (which I easily could!!), I will say, this amp is nothing short of surreal. And it's the perfect compliment to my A&G without a lot of overlap. The ODR is so interactive and has so many ways to shape your tone and control the volume that I'll be quite a while fully vetting out all this beast can do. But right out of the box it left my jaw on the floor even after weeks of having hyped myself into a frenzy waiting for one. She's an absolute dream amp and as others have said in demos I've watched, quite possibly the best amp I've ever owned or played at what it was designed to do.

Attachments

• 20240308_151211.jpg
    20240308_151211.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240308_123954.jpg
    20240308_123954.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 51
I’d be interested to hear what they sound like. These amps have intrigued me but I don’t know enough about them other than the hype to have the GAS

Of course, tone and feel are all very subjective, but to my ears and fingers, it doesn't get any better than this for "that" style tone. From "that" I mean, this ODR has a driven clean that has the tonal timbre of a Steel String Stinger that can be pushed into overdrive with pick attack. Enough headroom to stay tight and spanky in the bottom, but with the dynamic responsiveness that gives the ability to get real sweet and snarly when digging in with pick attack. Absolutely amazing. I also find my Ampliphoix & Gain's Ampliphonix channel (Dumble Bassman channel) to be near equally as amazing, but quite different. That clean has an almost plexish feel and tonal character to it. It's unrivaled when "that" is what I'm looking for. It all depends on the mood I'm in and the tone I'm looking for on any particular day which I may prefer. I also own a handful of handwired vintage Fenders, and while all great, none can match what either A.N. amps do plugged straight in.

I've had the pleasure of owning quite a few good clean tone amps as well as just about every other noted amp in the so-called "D - style" that has been offered over the last few decades. Many have had pleasing clean tones to the ears, some very good, but what sets these amps apart - in my experience and humble opinion - is an unrivaled tactile experience that is accompanied by a surreal musicality and clarity to the tone that no other amp has done as well as the A.N. amps (for me and my playing style - or lack there of LOL). I can get an extremely convincing tone and excellent feel out of my '64 Deluxe Reverb or 57' Tweed Deluxe with the right pedals, but when A/B'ing back and forth you realize they fall far short of what I experience from the A.N.'s plugged straight in.

We all have different ears and fingers and playing styles, so it's no surprise that what is the best for one, isn't necessarily best for all. After 50+ years and WAY too many amps to list, I can say this is the best I've experienced in this style. And it should be mentioned that Dumble style amps aren't for everyone. They are different than most mainstream tones people's ears are used to. They also remind folks like me how much I need to practice as you can't hide behind them. The accentuate every nuance of your playing. If you're a great player (I'm not, but I always aspire to be better) they really allow you to "play the amp" and hear it all - including every clam magnified in my case. LOL But, they do not sound like classic AC30's, Marshall's or Fenders, which are the reference tones the majority of players have in their heads. So no matter how good they are at what they were designed to do, if "that" tone and feel isn't what you're crazing, they won't fit. If the strong mid forward, hyper dynamic, hyper responsive and glassy are not your things, these amps will not be a good fit.

Hopefully my son is coming in this weekend so I can record some good demos of the Overdrive Reverb and Ampliphonix & Gain. He's a wicked good axe slinger and will be able to really do these beasts justice since I'm way out of practice and have a lot a brushing up to do. I honestly can't put into words how game changing these two amps have been for me after 50+ years and literally close to a couple hundred amps in my lifetime. There is a level of musicality, tone, clarity and feel that no other amplifier manufacturer I've ever experienced can match. For me, this is the pinnacle of tone and feel. Both amps so good, and yet different, so I can't imagine letting either of them go. Time to a sell off of the bunch of my other amps so I can get the SSS and finish my perfect trifecta.

Hopefully my son is coming in this weekend so I can record some good demos of the Overdrive Reverb and Ampliphonix & Gain. He's a wicked good axe slinger and will be able to really do these beasts justice since I'm way out of practice and have a lot a brushing up to do. I honestly can't put into words how game changing these two amps have been for me after 50+ years and literally close to a couple hundred amps in my lifetime. There is a level of musicality, tone, clarity and feel that no other amplifier manufacturer I've ever experienced can match. For me, this is the pinnacle of tone and feel. Both amps so good, and yet different, so I can't imagine letting either of them go. Time to a sell off of the bunch of my other amps so I can get the SSS and finish my perfect trifecta.
Did you consider the Bombshell and Wonderland Overdrive before settling on the ODR? I'm having a hard time between the 3.

Did you consider the Bombshell and Wonderland Overdrive before settling on the ODR? I'm having a hard time between the 3.
I did. I spent weeks upon weeks listening to every Amplified Nation demo I could dig up and comparing them back to back with studio quality headphones. I also have a long email chain seeking information and guidance from Taylor. After all of that I decided the A&G was going to be my first A.N. and I am so glad I did - it's AMAZING. After then having a relative reference in from the A&G, I discussed the other amps with Taylor and we decided the ODR would be the perfect complement to the A&G without too much overlap, and once again, Taylor was dead right. I think all Taylor's models are probably pretty amazing, so I doubt you'd go wrong with any of them, but for what I was looking for the A&G and ODR have fit me perfectly. I do plan on getting the Steel String Singer at some point once I recover from these two investments. If you're wanting to nail the Robben Ford vibe, the Bombshell is "that" tone and character. And as the name would suggest, the Wonderland OD V2 is the John Mayer vibe. I think the A&G and the ODR are the most versatile of the Amplified Nation line. That's my take thus far, any way.

glad you found your GAS enders Fretty!

my friend has a fuchs ODS II and is expecting a bludotone joyeaux in a couple of months. we were talking about final voicing tweaks before delivery and i pointed him to these clips as some of my favorite clean to soaring dumble zone tones:

to me the use of a semi hollow or chambered guitar is key to the interactive magic this type of amp produces. when RF dropped his siggy fender for the bakers, tele, etc he lost some of that magic imo.

Someone asked me to compare the A&G and the ODR as best I could on another forum, so I posted this. I thought someone here may find it useful as well, so I copied it here too:

This is the interesting part. After my son turned me onto a demo video of an Amplified Nation which -as embarrassing as it is to say - had never been on my radar. I was so impressed that I took a deep dive into the Amplified Nation’s and started listening to and analyzing every demo of every model I could find, knowing that I was going to own one, and just wanted to make sure I was choosing the right one for me given their prices.

I purchased the Ampliphonix & Gain first going off its description and information gleaned from numerous emails with Taylor. I was super hyped waiting for it to arrive. So much so in fact, that I feared nothing could live up to that level of hype which could be setting me up for a huge disappointment. From the moment I plugged in I was like; what is this?!??! This thing feels amazing… and the tone!! Just WOW!!! It truly was like having the best hot-rodded Fender Bassman you could dream of AND the best plexi you could imagine of all-in-one head, and with NO compromise. In fact, not only was there no compromise between the two, but they were also each the best I'd ever heard or played. AND it has an amazing reverb built in!!!

I went on to try various cabs, guitars, and pickups, and quickly realized that this amp was so expressive and reactive that it dramatically changed with each cabinet, guitar, pickup, etc. You can hear EVERY tiny nuance of your signal chain with these amps, which is, in and of itself, truly amazing. You can also hear and feel every tiny nuance of your playing, which quickly told me more clearly than ever, that I had really forgotten how to play guitar, I sucked and desperately needed to start practicing again if I was going to truly enjoy and justify owning this beautiful beast.

The Amplihonix & Gain is THEE amp if you not only want the Dumble vibe, but also want an amp that can do all your favorite old classic Marshall & Fender based tones. You can nail many of those old classic tones from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s easily with the A&G. Both channels are so good, that either channel alone justifies owning the amp. Having both in one head at the tap of a foot switch is something I never thought I’d see after all these years of searching. It really is like getting two world class amps for the price of one.

After being so absolutely blown away by the A&G, I knew it wouldn’t be my only Amplified Nation. So, I continued my research in an effort to decide which would be my next A.N. acquisition. Again, after many demos and emails I decided the Overdrive Reverb was the best choice to cover the A.N. tones without having too much overlap. Taylor kept telling me, they are completely different, and complement each other perfectly. I wasn’t sure what that meant at the time, but I decided to go for it.

When the ODR arrived, it wasn’t as instantaneously mind blowing as the A&G was for me, but that was only because it’s far more complex to dial in. Like the A&G, the ODR is very sensitive to cabinets, speakers, guitars, etc. Once I found the cabinet I liked and started learning how to properly dial in the tone stack and the cascading gain channels for whatever guitar / pickup I was using, it was pure magic on a scale that I find hard to put into words. Every knob and switch can dramatically alter the tone and feel. Even how you set the incredible two knob reverb can dramatically alter the feel of that amp. And BTW…the A&G’s reverbs was the best I’d heard until the ODR. The ODR’s reverb is otherworldly and just must be experienced to fully appreciate it. Once dialed in, the ODR is an experience to behold and truly one of the most marvelous amps I’ve ever played. The ODR is its own thing. It oozed the Dumble vibe but is capable of an incredible array of tones and feels. With all the different ways to shape the tone, the feel and control / balance the volume the ODR has, I can’t imagine anyone not finding “their tone” somewhere in that amp.

The A&G and the ODR truly are different animals, yet both equally incredible. When I purchased the A&G I quickly decided it was a lifer. Then, as I waited for the ODR to arrive, I thought, hopefully it would be so good that I wouldn’t need both and I could recoup some of my investment by selling one or the other. I’ve spent hours using an A/B switch to go back and forth between the two over and over again. I’ve AB’d with no backing. I’ve AB’d them using various styles of backing tracks and long story short, they are completely different, but both so good that they are both lifers. Each time I play one, I think; this is as good as it gets and can’t be beaten, then I switch to the other amp and I’m like wait! THIS is the best ever! Bottom line is, I can’t possibly choose one over the other.

In the end, Taylor was exactly right. They are completely different and yet equally amazing. And they complement each other perfectly. So, unless you can afford to keep both, don’t buy both because you won’t be able to force yourself to let either one go. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Back