NAD: Axe FX III

Tone Monster

Only got to spend an hour or so with it. Sounds pretty good so far but can’t wait to really dive deep. Here’s a quick iPhone clip Metallica of Wolf and man using the USA IIC++ model. Just hooked up to some cheap ass JBL monitors.

Last edited:
That sounds killer dude! Been thinking about grabbing another Axe III when I have the funds. Such a great unit.

Nice. I got another one a few weeks ago. Sounds really good. It’s not on par with a real amp but Cygnus sounds pretty good. No matter... I bought mainly for FX and low volume playing. Sounds great through my Fryette PS100 into a cab and also going FRFR through a cheap Alto TS212.

I ordered one yesterday. I’ve been messing with the FM3 but recently ordered a desk with rack spaces to keep shit tidy. I bought a Kemper recently, I might have to let it and the FM3 go to justify the III. We’ll see... I offloaded a bunch of amps during covid and keep replacing them with modelers, haha.

Once you start tweaking to best match your guitar's pickups, it really pulls through (as well as tweaking to make the tone cut through the mix, which is different than sounding good solo). Amazing amount of control. The stock presets are by-and-large OK, since everyone will need to tweak to some degree based on taste and guitar, etc.

Nice. I got another one a few weeks ago. Sounds really good. It’s not on par with a real amp but Cygnus sounds pretty good. No matter... I bought mainly for FX and low volume playing. Sounds great through my Fryette PS100 into a cab and also going FRFR through a cheap Alto TS212.
For $129, get the Hagerman VALVE pedal (a real tube boost/drive). Friggin' amazing difference when combined with the Fractal stuff (or any solid state).

I love using the Fractal's PEQ block to boost the shit out of the Brit 800 sim. It's like the Furman trick but without all the extra noise. (Works well in front of a real amp too).

I try to avoid the rabbit hole of deep editing. It seems like most of the time just setting the master volume correctly can compensate for various things.

Last edited:
Congrats. They're incredible units, especially for home studio recordists. I grabbed a new "b-stock" Mk II a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

Great clip too!

I love using the Fractal's PEQ block to boost the shit out of the Brit 800 sim. It's like the Furman trick but without all the extra noise. (Works well in front of a real amp too).

I try to avoid the rabbit hole of deep editing. It seems like most of the time just setting the master volume correctly can compensate for various things.
That a key feature... you can add and do a number of things without the NOISE. Yes, you do need to use the noise gate when doing hi-gain stuff, which isn't unusual.

Is the Axe III better than the II by a mile? I have the II and it doesn't get much use.
Yes, within reason. I had the II, sold it not long ago. I never used it much and opted for my Victory V4 preamps with IRs, etc. To use that stupid saying, "it sound more realer." It may depend what amps you like, but I have no complaints.

If I’m remembering correctly you went the route of the KPA (with excitement) a couple/few years ago?? You eventually got a Stage...IIRC.

I’m curious to know your Thoughts on the two.

To use that stupid saying, "it sound more realer." It may depend what amps you like, but I have no complaints.
I'm one of those guys haha.

I've only had an AX8 and a Kemper. The truth is I probably suck at dialing them in but for me, even with a tube power amp it just wasnt the same.

Im not even elderly but still consider myself old school. I wonder how much of this is based on how I just think a half stack is how it should be vs a little computer. Not ranting just saying. Ive heard some completely AMAZING tones from the Axe FX watching live bands play but when I have the guitar in my hands it is just different. Feels different mostly.

Congrats to OP though the Axe 3 does look pretty incredible.

I know two guys in my area who (pre Covid) played out literally every week And they both use Fractal. One was in a sort of pop dance band and the other guy is in a really cool, really fun 80s Hair Metal band. And both guys just have sensational tone. I almost pulled the trigger on a used AX-8 a couple of times, but I am old enough, that I am honestly intimidated by option anxiety. I will say without hesitation that once dialed in, they just sound incredible. From my limited exposure, I think I find the sounds of the Fractal more convincing than the Kemper. Cool piece of gear - congratulations and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
I know two guys in my area who (pre Covid) played out literally every week And they both use Fractal. One was in a sort of pop dance band and the other guy is in a really cool, really fun 80 Har Metal band. And both guys just have sensational tone. I almost pulled the trigger on a used AX-8 a couple of times, but I am old enough, that I am honestly intimidated by option anxiety. I will say without hesitation that once dialed in, they just sound incredible. From my limited exposure, I think I find the sounds of the Fractal more convincing than the Kemper. Cool piece of gear - congratulations and enjoy!!!
Don't be overwhelmed. I keep using the same 2-3 amps/cabs. It's simply my playing style... I never use the Fender stuff (I prefer a Carol-Ann for the cleans), and sometimes may touch the Marshalls, but tend to favor Diezel and a few others. The effects are really worth messing with... some amazing stuff on it.

Reactions: PDC
Nice! Enjoy! I've had my III for 3 years now and it is fantastic! I have an FM3 as well which I also love. Can't wait until we can rehearse and gig again. It's been quite some time.

Back