NAD: Bogner Snorkler Mod

It has the blue PCB board...which is the 'tell' for a real deal Bogner mod. I almost traded a Cam Aldrich to a guy in Mpls, Solid Body guitars....he had a 78 JMP with a Bogner mod...also a blue board....but it wouldn't power on. Lol
Tried different fuses, tubes but it needed some major work.
I played a blue board bogner mod, trying before buying.
It had those mids and the gain, but was not my fav sound. Kind of noisy and congested sounding unless really loud.

Honestly can get close, and prefer, hitting a jcm with a Klon, which of course wasn't around back when the mod was done.

Having met him in person and texted him a lot, I have nothing but good things to say about him. He is very honest and unbiased in his reviews of gear, and a really good guy. After trying my Hell Razor and preferring it to 2 of his hermanssons, he sold those two and bought a hell razor rather than trying to convince me his amps were better. I get that taste is subjective, but nothing he has said has been different than my personal experiences with the gear he described, and he is the only person I really go to now for questions about high end gear I’m looking into.
Agree 100%. Sam is a great dude and a gear enthusiast extraordinaire. He’s literally tried everything under the sun and put it all through rigorous comparisons, keeping only the best in every category. Sam’s opinions and advice on gear is spot on, and he’s always eager to share his unbiased opinions and experiences. He’s NEVER steered me wrong. Gear may be subjective, but Sam’s descriptions and opinions are 100% trustworthy. Dude can play too, and doesn’t have shit to prove as far as posting clips is concerned.

It had those mids and the gain, but was not my fav sound. Kind of noisy and congested sounding unless really loud.

Honestly can get close, and prefer, hitting a jcm with a Klon, which of course wasn't around back when the mod was done.
After the engineer Ronnie Champagne posted here years ago, and said the Rhythm parts were all done with a modded 65 Bassman with a modded Butler tube driver in front, I felt no need to really search for a Bog Marshall. I had a 64 stock Bassman that got pretty close with a couple boost pedals.....
This was confirmed personally by Jack (New World Man) in a private email to Mr Champagne. Lead parts were all Snorkler, but Rhythm was the goosed Bassman.

And, I should add that if you go to youtube and find the demo version of We Die Young, Jerry uses his RG100 and gets an almost IDENTICAL tone to the album.....telling me that it's the sum of all he used and how he likes his tone.

I would agree it definitely needs to be quite loud to get it where I want and also needs the mids turned almost all the way off to de-congest it, but then it becomes a beast, almost Uber-esque even. Mine isn’t particularly noisy

A Klon with a stock jcm800 may get in the ballpark, but wouldn’t have the huge low mids (not sure even if my 2 ch Recto’s do. Will have to AB), but some guys may try to dial that back anyway depending on taste. A stock jcm800 (boosted with a Klon) would also be a lot brighter, more uppermid-y. It’s mainly the big, chewy low mid quality that distinguishes its sound from my other amps. Basically, I think guys who want a fatter, darker Marshall-y sound that still has teeth, aggression would like it

Last edited:
After the engineer Ronnie Champagne posted here years ago, and said the Rhythm parts were all done with a modded 65 Bassman with a modded Butler tube driver in front, I felt no need to really search for a Bog Marshall. I had a 64 stock Bassman that got pretty close with a couple boost pedals.....
This was confirmed personally by Jack (New World Man) in a private email to Mr Champagne. Lead parts were all Snorkler, but Rhythm was the goosed Bassman.

And, I should add that if you go to youtube and find the demo version of We Die Young, Jerry uses his RG100 and gets an almost IDENTICAL tone to the album.....telling me that it's the sum of all he used and how he likes his tone.
I don’t use my amps to try to copy/approximate other player’s sound, but I can say this sounds much better to me than the ‘60’s Bassman’s I tried boosted as well as the modded ones I’ve tried (including one modded by Harry Kolbe and one at that AF). Those amps have to me an incomplete growl/hollow midrange in that region on powerchords (typical of vintage American amps) that was never satisfactory to my ears. I think more so than wizards or Hiwatt’s. I don’t like powerchords to sound smooth or piano-like. I want them to roar/growl fully. That’s why I never liked much overdriven blackfaces. I much prefer though some of my other amps I have to this Snorkler for playing leads, so I’m a little surprised he’d choose it for that, but I don’t recall much of his leadwork

but I can say this sounds much better to me than the ‘60’s Bassman’s I tried boosted as well as the modded ones I’ve tried (including one modded by Harry Kolbe and one at that AF). Those amps have to me an incomplete growl/hollow midrange in that region on powerchords (typical of vintage American amps) that was never satisfactory to my ears. I want them to roar/growl fully. That’s why I never liked much overdriven blackfaces.
I agree. I don't get the fuss about boosted Fenders. They sound like shit to me to be honest. I've boosted with numerous TS's, Klones, Nobels, Timmys and they all just don't do it for me. I know it's sort of a joke and a way to piss off the TGP crowd but there's no way a boosted Fender sounds like a real Dumble amp or close. I'm not an expert nor have I even seen a real one but I've played many of what the supposed cream of the crop of Dumble ODS clones are and they smoke a Fender.

I agree. I don't get the fuss about boosted Fenders. They sound like shit to me to be honest. I've boosted with numerous TS's, Klones, Nobels, Timmys and they all just don't do it for me. I know it's sort of a joke and a way to piss off the TGP crowd but there's no way a boosted Fender sounds like a real Dumble amp or close. I'm not an expert nor have I even seen a real one but I've played many of what the supposed cream of the crop of Dumble ODS clones are and they smoke a Fender.
Yeah and I don’t care for them as pedal platforms either for fuzzes or distortion pedals. Much prefer other amps for that. I hear boosted some blackfaces (like my ‘64 Vibroverb) as being a somewhat similar flavor to Dumbles (I have played real ones), but just not even 1% as good lol. I just like them for their glassy, sparkly cleans and for that they are imo hard to rival, but I still plan to bring in my ‘64 Vibroverb soon to consign at one of my local stores. I have boosted it with my Klon fwiw and didn’t do it for me either

I don’t use my amps to try to copy/approximate other player’s sound, but I can say this sounds much better to me than the ‘60’s Bassman’s I tried boosted as well as the modded ones I’ve tried (including one modded by Harry Kolbe and one at that AF). Those amps have to me an incomplete growl/hollow midrange in that region on powerchords (typical of vintage American amps) that was never satisfactory to my ears. I think more so than wizards or Hiwatt’s. I don’t like powerchords to sound smooth or piano-like. I want them to roar/growl fully. That’s why I never liked much overdriven blackfaces. I much prefer though some of my other amps I have to this Snorkler for playing leads, so I’m a little surprised he’d choose it for that, but I don’t recall much of his leadwork
I hear you; I'm not trying to minimize the amp you have. It's just that, with the seller you got it from calling it a 'Snorkler' mod people automatically think it's Facelift tone. And, in the end it's not according to the actual owner of the real Snorkler. He also said that his amp was the only one to ever get that particular mod from Bogner. But, who knows. He wasn't trying to sell the amp(he said he turned down 20k from Jerry) but explained how the album was recorded, and what gear was used. We were all shocked that the real amp used for the rhythm parts was the blackface bassman. But, out of the horses mouth so there it is.
Anyone and everyone selling a blue board Bogner Marshall claims it to be a 'Snorkler' mod....who knows if that's actually right? They're obviously trying to maximize the price. But the clips I've heard of Bog Marshalls do sound killer.
The 64 Bassman I had a few yrs back was very killer with 2 boosts in front...the drip edge 69 I have now, not so much. Might need a little work though.
But I'd still take either of my 72 Marshalls over any Fender.

Hmm, I don't know about many Fenders other than a boosted vintage Bassman...I have a 76 Twin but I bought it to pirate the JBL 120s from it. I can say this though, I'd take that boosted 64 Bassman over quite a few modern amps I've had come through...like any of the 5153s for instance. Not the tightest response but Bassmans have that vintage thing going for them, which I prefer.

I hear you; I'm not trying to minimize the amp you have. It's just that, with the seller you got it from calling it a 'Snorkler' mod people automatically think it's Facelift tone. And, in the end it's not according to the actual owner of the real Snorkler. He also said that his amp was the only one to ever get that particular mod from Bogner. But, who knows. He wasn't trying to sell the amp(he said he turned down 20k from Jerry) but explained how the album was recorded, and what gear was used. We were all shocked that the real amp used for the rhythm parts was the blackface bassman. But, out of the horses mouth so there it is.
Anyone and everyone selling a blue board Bogner Marshall claims it to be a 'Snorkler' mod....who knows if that's actually right? They're obviously trying to maximize the price. But the clips I've heard of Bog Marshalls do sound killer.
The 64 Bassman I had a few yrs back was very killer with 2 boosts in front...the drip edge 69 I have now, not so much. Might need a little work though.
But I'd still take either of my 72 Marshalls over any Fender.
Yeah guys tend to automatically associate these amps with one or 2 guy’s sound and that’s I think a big mistake. I don’t think about gear with respect to other guy’s sound. I just play them and see what I think. I never was wowed by a particular AIC sound anyway. It always seemed strange to me the way many guys obsess over these other band’s sounds

I find those ‘60’s bassman can initially sound impressive since they sound big and have that vintage rawness, but compared to a Marshall counterpart it gets exposed immediately the subpar midrange quality when overdriven. I felt the same way with that modded bassman at the AF. Didn’t have a proper growl to me on powerchords

Hmm, I don't know about many Fenders other than a boosted vintage Bassman...I have a 76 Twin but I bought it to pirate the JBL 120s from it. I can say this though, I'd take that boosted 64 Bassman over quite a few modern amps I've had come through...like any of the 5153s for instance. Not the tightest response but Bassmans have that vintage thing going for them, which I prefer.
We don’t need to compare it to amps that give us a taking candy from a baby scenario lol

Yeah guys tend to automatically associate these amps with one or 2 guy’s sound and that’s I think a big mistake. I don’t think about gear with respect to other guy’s sound. I just play them and see what I think. I never was wowed by a particular AIC sound anyway. It always seemed strange to me the way many guys obsess over these other band’s sounds

I find those ‘60’s bassman can initially sound impressive since they sound big and have that vintage rawness, but compared to a Marshall counterpart it gets exposed immediately the subpar midrange quality when overdriven. I felt the same way with that modded bassman at the AF. Didn’t have a proper growl to me on powerchords
I don’t get the love for his tones on the first couple AIC albums either. It’s decent but nothing great or worth chasing imo. His playing is much better than the actual tones. Would’ve sounded much better with a ripping boosted Marshall.

Back