NAD: Custom Viking Amp!!

50WEST

Eric @ Viking amps built this monster for me. I’ll be picking it up on Sunday, so technically it will be a NAD then, but I had to share a couple of pics he sent me, and also the specs! This thing is nuts! Eric is an amazing human, and one of the coolest people I’ve been lucky enough to work with. I can’t recommend Viking amps enough. He’s done ton of work on my other amps over the years, and it was finally time to do something crazy!

These are the specs Eric sent me:

This is what I have so far but I'm sure I forgot a few features.

200/200 watts stereo

4xKT88, 4xEL34, 4xEL84, 8x12AX7

2 channels assignable to power amps

Full array of tone and gain structure controls

2 assignable parallel loops with levels

+4 -10 db switchable

2 low impedance direct outs

Hiwatt Partridge style ultralinear output transformers

Weight saving torroidal power transformer

Footswitch for channels and loops

Rear panel bias test points and adjustments

2/4/8/16 switchable output impedance x 2

4 speaker outputs x 2

DC regulated filament supplies

Pics:

01FC7B8F-EE46-4FE7-A599-21D8D38FB7D2.jpeg

AD38B426-BF94-45B5-A31B-33B03393373A.jpeg

I’ll be sure to add some other pics etc. this weekend!

Now that's a cool Frankenstein amp if I 've ever saw one.:2thumbsup::shocked::worship:

Since the amp is stereo with 4 KT88's and 4EL34's what is the purpose of the 4EL84's may I ask? It seems rather odd?

Now that's a cool Frankenstein amp if I 've ever saw one.:2thumbsup::shocked::worship:

Since the amp is stereo with 4 KT88's and 4EL34's what is the purpose of the 4EL84's may I ask? It seems rather odd?
No shit, very cool amp.

Yeah I was wondering if thats a whole different power section (which begs the OT impedance question) or maybe just drivers for the KT88s. I don't really understand how it is a 200Wx200W stereo amp. 200Wx100W I can see but curious how it is 200Wx200W.

Might be preamp tubes in this case. Definitely a very cool, intriguing assortment of tubes, but whether it actually sounds great or unique from that or not, who knows. Would be curious to hear some clips

Might be preamp tubes in this case. Definitely a very cool, intriguing assortment of tubes, but whether it actually sounds great or unique from that or not, who knows. Would be curious to hear some clips
It might be a separate power section for quiet at home use was my first thought . But that’s also very interesting

so what does it sound like? modern or classic type sounds? I know you don't have it yet but jc?
I really like modern heavy stuff, but also a HUGE fan of Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker etc. I really wanted something capable of smooth leads, and then tight heavier stuff

It might be a separate power section for quiet at home use was my first thought . But that’s also very interesting
He says it’s the drivers in there. I guess just my point is I’ve had some amps like the 2 DAR’s that seemed so intriguing & novel due those huge tubes not seen in any other amps with other super unique specs, but ultimately it didn’t sound unique to me or like anything amazing, just pretty good or decent at best. That being said, I’d still like to know more about these Viking amps and hear some clips. Always curious about good, potentially promising gear, but there’s always gonna be some skepticism attached to it for me after trying so much stuff

Back