NAD: Herbert mk 3, but I think something is wrong with it

Just got the Herbert back from the shop today. The technician replaced preamp tubes V1 and V2. It still sounds like there's something wrong with the amp though.

I recorded another clip, channel 2 (+), all volume and EQ at noon except deep and master volume at 10 o'clock.

This is using a Jackson soloist with a Seymour Duncan JB. Totally different guitar and cable than the first recorded clip. Still sounds really weak, I'd expect way more saturation.

I'm playing into a UA Ox reactive load with a V30 IR rather than an actual cab - that could potentially explain some EQ differences, maybe flabby bass, but that doesn't explain the lack of saturation. I previously owned an EVH 5150 and played through this exact setup with it, and it was mean as hell.

@Steinmetzify what do you think? Are you goosing the front of yours with a boost? What pickups are you using?

Is gain at noon as well? If you change from + to - will it make difference?

Do you still have old V1 and V2? Can you also swap V3 and V4 with old V1 and V2 if so?

Cab is surely not an issue here.

Is gain at noon as well? If you change from + to - will it make difference?

Do you still have old V1 and V2? Can you also swap V3 and V4 with old V1 and V2 if so?

Cab is surely not an issue here.

Yes, gain was at noon in that clip. The amp does switch between + and -, here's what it sounds like in (-) mode.

Gain at noon, channel volume at noon, EQs and presence at noon, deep and master at 10 o'clock.

This was also after swapping in the old V1 and V2 for the V3 and V4...didn't seem to make a difference in (+) mode, still sounded like the clip in the post you quoted.

It sounds like you're in agreement that something is wrong with the amp?

I hate to say this, but I am thinking of asking the person who sold it to me for a refund. Because I bought it used it is difficult for me to get it repaired by authorized technicians. I guess I should return it, save a little more, and purchase a new Herbert...

Just received a Herbert mk 3 via FedEx. It sounds really off to me - way less gain than I’d expect, and very muddy. Not at all tight like I’ve been hearing. Thinking a tube got messed up during shipment perhaps?

Here's a clip of channel 3 with everything at noon except master volume at 10 o clock.

Neither Herbert I owned MKI and MKII was anywhere near what I consider tight. Even boosted they were not nearly as tight/fast/focused as many other amps. Might just not be the amp for you?

Just got the Herbert back from the shop today. The technician replaced preamp tubes V1 and V2. It still sounds like there's something wrong with the amp though.

I recorded another clip, channel 2 (+), all volume and EQ at noon except deep and master volume at 10 o'clock.

This is using a Jackson soloist with a Seymour Duncan JB. Totally different guitar and cable than the first recorded clip. Still sounds really weak, I'd expect way more saturation.

I'm playing into a UA Ox reactive load with a V30 IR rather than an actual cab - that could potentially explain some EQ differences, maybe flabby bass, but that doesn't explain the lack of saturation. I previously owned an EVH 5150 and played through this exact setup with it, and it was mean as hell.

@Steinmetzify what do you think? Are you goosing the front of yours with a boost? What pickups are you using?

Yeah I usually boost ch2+ with any number of things. Met up with my buddy for a jam session earlier in the week and shot a few vids. We were in a doom/sludge mood. This is boosted using an ESP Eclipse with EMGs. He’ll step on a boost and a Pharaoh fuzz sometime in this vid:

FWIW I usually use this at home with a Suhr RLIR, and get the same tones. My amp has never sounded like yours at those settings.

Last edited:
Sounds absolutely ripping, love it. Thanks for sharing!

I posted a thread over on TGP asking for stoner fuzz recommendations and the Pharaoh was the popular choice, so I've got a BAT Sarcophagus on the way. Thinking of pairing it with an Acapulco Gold for stoney bliss.

Just shipped the amp off to BAD for repairs. This is my dream metal amp, I can't quit on it yet.

I couldn’t make my Herbert sound like that if I tried… there’s something wrong with your amp, or in your signal chain. That is not right, in the least.

Agreed, something is wrong. I’ve had Herb Mk2 in the past and now have a Mk3 and they RIIIIP! Yours sound as you stated: weak. Let us know what BAD says.

You didn't specify if this Herbert was received as a new amp or used amp?

You made sure though that we knew it was shipped through Fed Ex though?? LOL

Sounds like weak tubes, and why bother swapping out only 2 preamp tubes if this is a used amp and it sounds weak?
Curious what was the reasoning here.

Have you checked the gain knobs RANGE from 0 to 10 is accurate?
This will confirm that noon is really noon and not a knob placed on the male incorrectly.

You didn't specify if this Herbert was received as a new amp or used amp?

You made sure though that we knew it was shipped through Fed Ex though?? LOL

Sounds like weak tubes, and why bother swapping out only 2 preamp tubes if this is a used amp and it sounds weak?
Curious what was the reasoning here.

Have you checked the gain knobs RANGE from 0 to 10 is accurate?
This will confirm that noon is really noon and not a knob placed on the male incorrectly.
You’re damn right I made it clear FedEx shipped it! :ROFLMAO: Not like UPS is any better, delivering a Wizard MC25 to the house a block south of me.

It was used, bought on Reverb. Yeah I should just swap all the tubes, good call.

Until you find an amp tech that's anal and can actually accurately test tubes, I'd just chalk up any used amp you get needing a FULL retube until you hear it, record or and compare to other amps. And at minimum, preamp tubes all being swapped for matched and balanced.

Usually amps are sold by newbs that don't realize tubes don't last forever and need replacing. So when the amp starts to sounding weak they think it's screwed up or dying and try to sell it. Yours fits this IMO.

Or worse, there's something wrong, have been told by a tech and you get to deal with it (my Engl Invader 2 eventually needed almost ALL of the capacitors to be swapped out). Luckily I have 2 techs I trust and they got it fixed.

Back