NAD Marshall 6100LM

It's not modded; they came with either 5881s or EL34s. You want the EL34 version. Better to my ears. Best of the post JCM 800 era amps of the 90s. IMO. Probably won't out chug a Mesa for heavy stuff, unless boosted.

I had the EL34 version with the blue tolex.

Nice amp but just pray that it doesn't go down. No tech I know would even bother to work on it. In fact, this is one of the reasons why Satch stopped using them.

I had an original non LM 30th anniversary with EL34s. It was a great amp until it let the smoke out. It cost me a whole pile of money to get it fixed and soured me on the amp. Really great sounding Marshall when working, and a fantastic clean channel.

I had a black one similar to yours. They are cool amps but ime it won't touch a good Boogie in chugs. I can't remember what it's called but the "Damping" switch was a really cool feature. It changes (or rather allows you to change) the NFB loop when you switch to the clean channel which is one of the reasons the clean channel is so good.

oHz4gdQ.jpg

+1 on pray it never needs work.

A lot of those 90s amp manufacturers used plastic molex connectors instead of soldering directly . Marshall was one of them. They would get super warm and the plastic would melt. DSLs, 900s including the 30th Ann. Same issue that the Ampeg VL had.

A lot of those 90s amp manufacturers used plastic molex connectors instead of soldering directly . Marshall was one of them. They would get super warm and the plastic would melt. DSLs, 900s including the 30th Ann. Same issue that the Ampeg VL had.
Ive not heard of any JCM 2000 DSL molex connections melting.
Certainly not like the bugera crap.
Do you have any links to back this up ?
Im good friends with Magnatone lead Engineer & former SLM/Crate/Ampeg's EE.
I'll see what he has to say but i must say other than the bias drift due to PCB composition i have not heard of Marshall molex problems.

Last edited:
Ive not heard of any JCM 2000 DSL molex connections melting.
Certainly not like the bugera crap.
Do you have any links to back this up ?
Im good friends with Magnatone lead Engineer & former SLM/Crate/Ampeg's EE.
I'll see what he has to say but i must say other than the bias drift due to PCB composition i have not heard of Marshall molex problems.
Late 90s British DSLs had issues; many failed and needed repair due to this from my memory. Maybe it’s from another issue but I do recall there were JCM 2000s in need of service repairs.

The combos were prone to overheating, but not the heads. The heads have other common issues, one of which is the midi circuitry. I'm not sure exactly what caused mine to melt down, but a number of caps exploded and at least 2 ICs had to be replaced. One of the ICs was only available directly from Marshall, and it took forever to get.

Last edited:
The combos were prone to overheating, but not the heads. The heads have other common issues, one of which is the midi circuitry. I'm not sure exactly what caused mine to melt down, but a number of caps exploded and at least 2 ICs had to be replaced. One of the ICs was only available directly from Marshall, and it took forever to get.
I have to agree with Zeegler about the 6101 combo overheating due to lack of ventilation vents compared to the 6100 head which has venitilation vents installed. Due to the overheating issue, I've also had the MIDI circuit board malfunctioned, parts replaced, the MIDI board repaired. I’ve owned my blue vinyl Marshall 6101combo amp with matching 1912 1x12 closed back cab since 1993, so that’s about 28 years. Other than the MIDI board malfunctioning (1x), preamp tubes needing replacement, and power tubes going out/replacing power tubes/rebias the amp, I use the 6101 combo amp for gigs to this day. The tone from all 3 channels, MIDI switching, triode/pentode & full/half power switches for wattage, and other amenities makes it a very useful combo amp for the working guitarist.
Guitar George

Here is a thread about it...talks about 'overheating' but not specifically about molex connectors. I do believe though that this was the case with the 30th ann. Marshall. Either way, those DSL 2000s had a serious problem and if you look for one now, you better make sure the service was performed.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jcm-2000-dsl100-overheating-and-bias-problems.61300/
Im not surprised really with the 6100/6101. When new was a Triumph of circuitry achievement but with all things over time become problematic.
A big 10-4 on 90's era DSL-100's if they haven't had maintenance.

Last edited:
The 6100 has some really great features, but also it's Achilles heel.

The clean channel is superb and the best part of the amp for me.

Low gain and medium gain were nice. The gain got mushy quick. I used channel 2, mode C with an SD-1 to tighten it up.

I am not a fan of channel 3. It has a weird mid honk.

Back