NAD: Meeting A Forumite in the Wild

BeZo

There is a thread on here about the Mesa Stiletto that got my gears turning. I used to have a Stiletto Trident Stage II and it ripped, and I feel like that sound would fit the new band I'm doing. So, I checked my local Craigslist, and wouldn't you know it? One just posted at a decent price. I emailed the guy and passed on my contact info and he texted me right back.

"You’re on the Rig Talk board aren’t you?"

He recognized my name from my email. All of a sudden this went from a random Craigslist encounter where I buy an amp under the cameras a the local gas station, to a Rig-Talk deal. The guy is @the recluse, and he said he doesn't post on here, but mostly lurks. User name checks out. Cool guy. We chatted about gear for a few minutes on his front porch before I scuttled off to practice with a new toy.

The amp was a little dusty, and dialing it in revealed some scratchy pots, but it really fit the bill. It's an early version of the Stiletto Deuce with a low serial number. I definitely noticed the difference between the first gen and the Stage II. The bass and gain on CH 2 are not what I remember, and I now see the value of the "Hollywood mod". I hit it with my MXR Booster Mini a little harder and it helped a bunch. It also gave me a little more bark on CH 1. I had a harder time dialing in the clean I was looking for with this amp surprisingly enough. I kept switching the modes, but adjusting the gain difference between them was painful. I'm going to douche the pots and try again.

In the end, I met a cool guy, bought the right amp for a good price, and had a great experience. 10/10 would do again. @the recluse just let me know if you ever want to sell that Royal Atlantic!

Congrats! Same experience meeting forum folks in the flesh…all cool dudes!!

Oh shit! I forgot to post a pic!
20230518_194304.jpg

Something similar happened to me. I set up a meeting with this dude at a truckstop rest area. Turns out it was Rottingcorpse, and instead of leaving with an amp and going to practice, I left with syphilis and went straight to the doctor for a penicillin shot.
are you a ginger by chance? he sent me some pics and vids....basically does the carpet match the drapes? jc....

Do tell us about the Verellen. :checkthisout:
It's super tight and articulate, with a ton of gain. It seems to have a lot of mids that saturate and it sits in the mix well. The presence knob seems to control the mids more than the highs. I started using the Mark V because the mids are a little smoother for one band, and the mids in the Stiletto are more Marshall. The Verellen is right in between the two.

My main gripe with it is the loop. There is no master volume, so when you level out the channels, they send different signals through the loop depending on where the channels are set. So, if I hit my delay and change channels, I get punished. I'll definitely record with it, but I don't think I'll run it live without doing a wet/dry stereo rig.

@BeZo thanks for the kind words and good to meet you in person as well! The Royal Atlantic is on the short list of keepers but if I get to the point of letting it go, I'll def hit you up before I make it public.

I agree the Deuce version 1 benefits from some kind of a boost up front. I really liked the MXR Custom Badass OD or DOD Gunslinger in front of it.

Picked up a Stage 1 Deuce at a decent price recently. It was advertised as a Stage 2, but thought I’d see how I got on with the Stage 1 rather than return it. Took a little while to figure it out, but I’m glad I took the time to do so because I’ve been really enjoying it. Fluid Drive on bold with diode rectification and a Maxon OD808X in front works really well for me, and unboosted Channel 1 with diode rectification on crunch set to spongey also sounds great. All at home levels too (amp set to 50w). Very pleasantly surprised by this amp.

Same sort of deal last weekend- did an in person guitar trade with a fellow fourumite from TGP and here.

SUPER cool dude. We sent more time talking about gear, music, and life than we did the guitars we were trading!

Oh, and happy NAD!

Back