NAD: Naylor SuperDrive 60

This certainly piques my interest.

How hard are they to get ahold of?
I got mine in a trade with Racerxrated. Haven’t had much luck finding them on reverb or other places used. Hard to say how you’d like this amp for your style, but I think with a boost it can work. Imagine something kind of like a late ‘70’s JMP2203, but darker, slightly more gain, beefier, more robust sounding, tighter and has great feel. Kinda has this sticky feel like their website says that I’ve grown to really like. Also very articulate

I have had a 60 for 25 years awesome amp but If you want Naylor tone with say a Marshall try the Naylor speakers. I was amazed after I bought the Naylor half stack when I plugged a JMP into the cab for grins one day.
There’s overlap for sure between the Naylor and my ‘79 JMP2203, but I prefer to use them for their own unique strengths rather than to copy each other. The JMP still has an uppermid aggression, brightness and midrange thing that the Naylor just can’t do and that’s what I use the JMP for. The Naylor is darker, beefier, more robust sounding with that unique sticky feel and clarity. My JMP can’t match that and no need to try to. Both great amps in their own way with their own place, but the Naylor does a lot more for me and that low input is killer with fuzzes. Wasn’t that into on it’s own though

I got mine in a trade with Racerxrated. Haven’t had much luck finding them on reverb or other places used. Hard to say how you’d like this amp for your style, but I think with a boost it can work. Imagine something kind of like a late ‘70’s JMP2203, but darker, slightly more gain, beefier, more robust sounding, tighter and has great feel. Kinda has this sticky feel like their website says that I’ve grown to really like. Also very articulate
Well said. I found that through a V30 cab, with a boost it's easily into modern HR maybe metal with the right boost. It's got the dark voice of a Friedman/Marshall but still has some brightness in it that doesn't leave you thinking 'dark' amp...It's smooth but still kinda raw at the same time..hard to explain. But with great clarity and feel..very unique and definitely a top amp.

Well said. I found that through a V30 cab, with a boost it's easily into modern HR maybe metal with the right boost. It's got the dark voice of a Friedman/Marshall but still has some brightness in it that doesn't leave you thinking 'dark' amp...It's smooth but still kinda raw at the same time..hard to explain. But with great clarity and feel..very unique and definitely a top amp.
Yeah it’s kinda smooth and rough at the same time. I think smooth in the upper mids, but raw and growly in the low mid area. I wouldn’t overall describe it as being a smooth amp, but I get why some would say so. It’s also kind of dry yet still feels great to play and good for leads still. With my Klon boosting I think it’s a very good metal tone. IMO better for metal than my JMP2203 with the Klon boosting it

I thought it was just ok with V30’s. With some of my holy grail speakers it really shined and got a lot heavier and more aggressive

I like to have a bit of everything, gear that’s top notch for any style, which is why I have all those amps, 29 guitars, over 60 speakers, etc. Any piece of gear I have that’s a keeper is something that I feel is unmatched in at least one area, even if it’s a very specific, narrow area. I play mostly metal and hard rock, but a little bit of everything. I’m mostly a classical guitarist, but for electric I play metal and hard rock most often
RAD!!
I dig the classical dude's!

I love my SD60, I have s/n 7, with the ported cab. Killer amp. I typically run mine with a crunchy tone, rolling back the guitar for cleans, and stepping on something for extra dirt. I don't find it dark... the tone controls are very interactive, rolling back the bass increases the trebles. I don't feel it to be "Marshall-y"... I have A LOT of old Marshalls, they are not dark... typically too bright. In the old days, we used to joke that Marshalls had a bass control, 2 trebles (mid and treble) and a 'hiss' control (presence). The 4 input Marshalls were basically the 5F6-A circuit, but 6CA7's have an entirely different impedance than 5881's, different current draw, different PV, just different... which is why I think those old Marshalls are SO glassy. Almost as if the power section is MORE efficient, allowing the true sound of the preamp to pass. The Naylor is definitely got a Fender thing, as far as lows. The reason you keep the bass control on Fenders down, and ALL THE WAY UP on Marshalls is that the Fender circuit reproduces more lows. Now, don't misunderstand, I'm not talking about the quality of lows (tight vs. loose) BUT, I will contend that Marshall get their low end thrust (when turned up) due to the closed back, infinite baffle cabs. My brown tolex Super has very pleasing low end, it's a 2x10 combo. My 69 Plexi only sound good around 7 (both channels, strapped, me plugging into the bass side), which is deafeningly loud. If I plug into the OXBOX, it sound good, but still, you must have the volumes up that loud. The Naylor can give you great 'loud amp' sounds at a club volume, Very responsive, very tactile. NOTHING LIKE A MESA (thank god)... But I think the Marshall comparisons are somewhat misleading, at least compared to my 5 old Marshalls, that I played exclusively since 1988. Just my 2 cents.

Back