NAD Rig Pics

Thanks. I'll have to post the matching ED I have for my stereo rig when it comes in six weeks from now. I just ordered it yesterday and I am very excited to have my final recording/gigging rig set. Now I just need to save and get my Gibson ES-339.

university81":4palzfq4 said:
classy =0 grats, you gonna leave the tags on a la spinal tap? ;)

No, I just received it in the mail earlier in the week. I practiced with it and have played it non-stop. This is a really, really interesting Mesa. Very upper-midrangey, very nice cleans, very nice crunch tones.

I should've wrote NAD, but I received the amp on Monday. It seems sort of late to write that! ;)

(oops, I wrote I gigged with it, but I meant PRACTICED WITH IT!)

yngzaklynch":3vmyshm2 said:
Aren't the ED and this very similar sounding? I assumed they were anyways. Amp looks fantastic!!

No, not really at all. The RA is very upper midrangey, while the ED isn't. The ED is voiced a touch higher than the Rectos and just below the Mark V's natural voicing. The ED also has a lot more low end (very rich and useable low end) and a bubbly overdrive sound (that is totally due to the Dyna Class feature). I feel like the way I have the ED dialed gives me a great Vox-like clean and an overdrive that is great for lower gain sounds. The ED would serve as my complete wet rig, while the RA would house just a single delay (much in the vein of Quentin Hope).

CaseyCor":3tgwf84n said:
How much, if I may ask?

The Royal Atlantic was $2328 (not including shipping) and the ED just cost me $2028

Without the custom options, the RA is $2149 and the ED is $1849. For just upgrades in tolex color, grill cloth and speakers, Mesa charges $179 per amp. It's best to get the custom upgrades out of the way first, then any time later. I have a Roadster head that was going to cost me $359 just for an upgraded shell.

I usually like black amps and thought the ED was pretty killer looking on its own. Some Mesa's are butt-ugly though IMO, like the Roadster, Mark V, and RA. I guess I care about aesthetics more than most people perhaps. After ordering the RA, I figured it would be best just to have my ED matching the RA.

Very nice. I'm interested in a combo but how much does it weigh? Can't find this info on the mesa site. My guess is it is pretty heavy. To me a combo has be light (<40lbs, I'm a pansy ;) ) to make sense. Otherwise I'll just carry a head and cab.

threadkiller":32gvprf3 said:
Very nice. I'm interested in a combo but how much does it weigh? Can't find this info on the mesa site. My guess is it is pretty heavy. To me a combo has be light (<40lbs, I'm a pansy ;) ) to make sense. Otherwise I'll just carry a head and cab.

It weighs 87 lbs. It's all up to you of course. For me, I had a 4x12 and numerous 2x12 cabinet. I never found I enjoyed lugging around heads and cabs separately. Especially considering I am planning on running a stereo rig so I can isolate my effects to a specific amp. That said, the weight may put some people off. If you look at Mesa heads though, they are pretty hefty. The Roadster head weighed 48 lbs, and the RA head (I believe) weighs somewhere in the mid 50 lb range. Casters really make hauling these amps very easy in either setup, so you have to go with what works for you. I love 2x12 combos now since I've got my RA. My ED that is coming is will only be a 1x12 though.

I played an RA head into a mesa 2x12 cab at the dallas guitar show and was really impressed with it. I thought it had great cleans and crunch tones and could get some good raunchy higher gain tones. If i was in a band that played medium to hard rock or a cover band i'd definitely look into these.

ACShreds":2d39vygy said:
I played an RA head into a mesa 2x12 cab at the dallas guitar show and was really impressed with it. I thought it had great cleans and crunch tones and could get some good raunchy higher gain tones. If i was in a band that played medium to hard rock or a cover band i'd definitely look into these.

I'd say your review totally matches my current opinion of the amp.

I played the head about a week ago and I like what it had to offer. Didn't like the soak control at it's higher settings though. Don't think they should have bothered going up that high. Love the color combo of yours!

Gooseman":k2oeh62q said:
threadkiller":k2oeh62q said:

It weighs 87 lbs. It's all up to you of course. For me, I had a 4x12 and numerous 2x12 cabinet. I never found I enjoyed lugging around heads and cabs separately. Especially considering I am planning on running a stereo rig so I can isolate my effects to a specific amp. That said, the weight may put some people off. If you look at Mesa heads though, they are pretty hefty. The Roadster head weighed 48 lbs, and the RA head (I believe) weighs somewhere in the mid 50 lb range. Casters really make hauling these amps very easy in either setup, so you have to go with what works for you. I love 2x12 combos now since I've got my RA. My ED that is coming is will only be a 1x12 though.

Thanks. 87 lbs. Ouch. My rack rig has casters so I know what you mean but I've got a flight of stairs at my house to get to my gear room and it seems like there is always a flight of stairs to climb whenever we play out. I've got help when I play out though. I want a combo for when I just want to grab something to go to a jam somewhere and don't need to haul out the big rig which stays at our practice spot anyway. I'll probably end up with a carvin V3MC which comes in at 35 lbs. 50 watts of fizz but it'll be good enough. To bad tone comes in such a weighty package. Congrats on the new amp. It looks awesome.

threadkiller":3p227x8e said:
Gooseman":3p227x8e said:
threadkiller":3p227x8e said:

Thanks. 87 lbs. Ouch. My rack rig has casters so I know what you mean but I've got a flight of stairs at my house to get to my gear room and it seems like there is always a flight of stairs to climb whenever we play out. I've got help when I play out though. I want a combo for when I just want to grab something to go to a jam somewhere and don't need to haul out the big rig which stays at our practice spot anyway. I'll probably end up with a carvin V3MC which comes in at 35 lbs. 50 watts of fizz but it'll be good enough. To bad tone comes in such a weighty package. Congrats on the new amp. It looks awesome.
I have the same problem. I have 5 4x12's on the second floor, and my monster rack rig at 150 pounds. Also, Heavy tone needs heavy gear :LOL: :LOL:

Gooseman, Nice amp, it is beautiful!

The Hoff":2qiy2nr6 said:
Looks classy indeed. Congrats on the NAD!!! :rock: :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Yeah, I used to be all about 4x12s. I just don't like to use that much low end anymore, just enough to really "fill out" my sound. That is another reason I am really loving the RA combo. It has this little port in the back and keeps the low end nice. I tried the head out with various cabs, but really liked the combo best. It could also be the custom speaker combination as well that is balancing out my sound.

That said, I do love a slanted 4x12. That whole "feeling" your sound against your back is a great thing. Especially with some nice and subtle slapback overdrive happening.

Back