NAD! Suhr SL68

CarlF

I had the Marshall 1959HW a few years ago. Sold it. Missed it. Did a bunch of research. Grabbed the SL68. Killer amp for the 70s era tones I love. Will be getting the matching Suhr 4X12 w/ Greenbacks.

241862459_10226579689742433_1014911329336292473_n.jpg

Awesome!

I just picked up an Sl67 a few weeks ago, it’s perfect for my needs

Do you have an attenuator or power station? The master is pretty good but thru a ps2 is definitely a step up imho.

Awesome!

I just picked up an Sl67 a few weeks ago, it’s perfect for my needs

Do you have an attenuator or power station? The master is pretty good but thru a ps2 is definitely a step up imho.
Yes, I played it thru a Boss TAE

Wow killer setup congrats!!

Had I not been able to find a metroplex I would have grabbed an sl68 in a heartbeat. You can beat the hell out of it and it will keep on giving. I feel like it’s heads above what Marshall offers as a reissue.

Killer. I’ve really been wanting one of these. Interested to hear your thoughts after you work with it for a bit Carl.

Nice! The SL67/68 is about the only amp left on the market that I think "I'd like to spend some time with that". Maybe also a Morgan MVP66.

But I play guitar so little right now that it isn't worth it for me to do anything that crazy.

Echoing the thoughts here that the SL68 is one of the last amps left on my must-haves list. I'd love to pick one up at some point. Out of all the plexis I know about, the SL67's and SL68's are particularly cool because they can be dialed in to sound like the amp is going to actually explode, like it is genuinely being driven way harder than it was ever meant to. I have no idea how they do it but if you crank it up enough, something happens where the highs and mids start to move from overdrive and clipping to straight up fuzz and it's so awesome.

Here's a video I found of a really good example of what I'm talking about:

The Master Volumes on those amps are neat as well. They're better if you think of them more as a reverse Tone knob. Basically, start with the MV on 10 so it's out of the circuit, then dial in how much distortion you want. From there, if the amp gets a bit dark like Plexis can get when you turn them up, slowly turn the MV down until the treble gets un-squashed by the poweramp clipping and gets a bit more breathing room. You keep all the crunch and gain you get from driving the phase inverter but you get back some high end detail. Super cool.

Last edited:
Sweet setup!

How do you like the Mesa Fillmore? Obviously very different, but I like that amp a lot on paper.

John makes great amps All are really good at doing what they are supposed to do. I love the Bella for its pedal platform and the hedgehog for its squishy harmonically rich dirt. Need to try the SL68.

nice combination of tone machines c-slice!
very similar to my current stereo pedalboard amp choices--great minds think alike:cheers:

(and you'll have to forgive me for butchering that one clean chord:hys:--it's like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa!!)

Back