NAD TREMOVERB!!!

I guess the only downside is if I want a clean tone/ channel and I can’t get that out of the Red channel, right?

I guess the only downside is if I want a clean tone/ channel and I can’t get that out of the Red channel, right?
I usually keep the Orange channel on clean also, which is probably why I have never tried this.

The Blues mode can definitely do a good clean. It has a large midrange hump. Warmer, less glass. It's almost like a Mark series sound with the GEQ off. I prefer it for clean over the clean channel.

The point of breakup sounds on the clean and blues modes is some of the best I have heard from any amp. These modes with the gain way up make nice crunch and lead tones.

Last edited:
My tech (authorized for mesa warranty work) did mine via Mike's instructions, but with the extra addition of a send-level bypass toggle just as a good way to fill the not-needed mix control slot.

You can remove the send-level pot from the circuit without removing the global output. Not much different than running the send-level at max, but it is just a hair clearer and crisper in bypass.

Of course in bypass you could get clipping with some stomp box pedals if the channel master was also high, so it's more for when not using the loop but still wanting the global output in the circuit.
i just keep it off. i hear something just having it on at all, regardless of if i have anything in it..

pretty much. im trying to use red as a crunch and roll back to clean(ish), or vice versa, depending on which channel i prefer, but i almost always prefer orange/modern.. then a boost just gives me another level on both channels.

Dude…I said I’m kinda fucked up but I love metal zones…. There-I said it. Judge me Rigtalk…I don’t give a fuck…just saying
Most people don’t know how to use them. I use it as a boost/eq combo with no gain. Great pedal. My Tremoverb Is my rig that’s at my drummers house. That shit is crushing. I spent hours upon hours figuring out what amp I was going to use for this project. I have 50+ of pedals and 11 amps. The MZ and Tremoverb is what’s up.

Most people don’t know how to use them. I use it as a boost/eq combo with no gain. Great pedal. My Tremoverb Is my rig that’s at my drummers house. That shit is crushing. I spent hours upon hours figuring out what amp I was going to use for this project. I have 50+ of pedals and 11 amps. The MZ and Tremoverb is what’s up.
i think its only the rectos. i pretty much hate the grind or a mz as a boost with everything else but a recto. i could get by with the grind on my block letter on the green channel but not the red.. i did the mod on my old mt2 where you clip the c35 and c25 and it has a bit less squawk as a boost. i still prefer the 808 to it but not bad with a recto,,

i think its only the rectos. i pretty much hate the grind or a mz as a boost with everything else but a recto. i could get by with the grind on my block letter on the green channel but not the red.. i did the mod on my old mt2 where you clip the c35 and c25 and it has a bit less squawk as a boost. i still prefer the 808 to it but not bad with a recto,,
ironically i feel that way about emgs too. can totally deal with them on a recto..

The Blues mode can definitely do a good clean. It has a large midrange hump. Warmer, less glass. It's almost like a Mark series sound with the GEQ off. I prefer it for clean over the clean channel.

The point of breakup sounds on the clean and blues modes is some of the best I have heard from any amp. These modes with the gain way up make nice crunch and lead tones.

Thanks, I will try this!

I built a TS variant that boosts the Red channel into great territory.

I know Adam Jones from Tool used the Orange channel when he was using a Dual Rec 2 channel so I'm excited to see what I can do with the Orange channel in Modern.

I didn’t like the Grind or the Dirty Tree on any amp. The SD1 is my go to for Marshall style amps. I like the precision drive on a recto.

i just keep it off. i hear something just having it on at all, regardless of if i have anything in it..
Isn't yours still parallel though? You never get a true 100% signal with the parallel loop unless you run a jumper cable.

But, if you don't actually use the loop and can handle the touchy channel master that becomes your only volume with the loop bypassed, then I can totally see running it like that.

But, have you compared running the loop totally bypassed to having it engaged with a short jumper between send and return, mix all the way down, send-level on max, and channel volume at noon or a bit above, and then use the global output as your volume?

Ever since mine was modded to lossless serial I do actually use pedals in the loop most of the time and it works great with them, but you still must remember to have the last pedal's buffer engaged and for no loss it needs to be rated at 200ohm or less, especially if driving a 20ft cable or longer back to the amp's return.

Thanks, I will try this!

I built a TS variant that boosts the Red channel into great territory.

I know Adam Jones from Tool used the Orange channel when he was using a Dual Rec 2 channel so I'm excited to see what I can do with the Orange channel in Modern.
The last setting on the list above is Adam's settings.
Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge of a Les Paul.

Isn't yours still parallel though? You never get a true 100% signal with the parallel loop unless you run a jumper cable.

But, if you don't actually use the loop and can handle the touchy channel master that becomes your only volume with the loop bypassed, then I can totally see running it like that.

But, have you compared running the loop totally bypassed to having it engaged with a short jumper between send and return, mix all the way down, send-level on max, and channel volume at noon or a bit above, and then use the global output as your volume?
I haven't but will try it this weekend for sure. Thanks.

I didn’t like the Grind or the Dirty Tree on any amp. The SD1 is my go to for Marshall style amps. I like the precision drive on a recto.
The SD-1 Is great if you like all the low end sucked out. I have a Modded one that sounds amazing cause it doesn't kill the bottom end.....just tightens slightly.

How about an EQ pedal out front?

I started using EQ pedal in front of my Marshalls - not all the time though; currently a Source Audio EQ2. Usually to get a second tone (e.g., boosted lead tone with more mid and high end).

Waiting for the new Ibanez EQ pedal that @stephen sawall brought to my attention a few weeks back, still on pre-order:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTEQ--ibanez-pteq-penatone-5-band-parametric-eq-pedal

I was surprised how many people here use EQ in the effects loop, I did that once on an old digital modeling vox amp that sounded muffled/blanket over it.

I tried a EQ in front of the Tremoverb a few times. More often in the loop.

With the VFE Standout and Zuul+, MXR M108S GEQ in the loop you can shape the sound just about any way you want and it doesn't color the sound like a Tube Screamer or SD-1.

The Ibanez PTEQ Pentatone 5-band parametric equalizer is probably going in the loop of the Fryette PS-100.

Back