NAD Uber-Ultra EL34

JulesDB

First test done with Uber Ultra and it literally smokes.

The sound may actually seem "produced" but it's really a question of avoiding certain settings to make it sound more old-style.

I'm actually wondering if the choice of the EL34 was the most appropriate one for me, given the redundancy of medium and high frequencies that this amplifier enhances for being so tight. It is often quite confusing given the almost too many sound adjustments but it can be sharp as a blade and very percussive. It's worth trying them all before deciding, I probably would have preferred the 6L6 version.

Since it has been talked about on other threads, the real difference with amplifiers like Helios and Ecstasy is that this one sounds much, much more modern and oriented towards downtuning (I am not) while the others are more traditional amplifiers.

The amount of gain is really high but I guarantee that even just the first channel is enough to be adequately satisfied with the beast.

Once you have found the perfect sound, it is better not to move anything anymore because it takes very little or changing the position of a switch and the result changes completely. It is capable of wonderful but also terrible sounds. I have yet to figure out what some knobs actually do to the sound even though moving some knobs is linked to other adjustments.

And anyway it's funny that this Uber Ultra amazed me with its clean sound.

Having all three is an open-eyed (and ear) dream.

Attachments

• 20240502_211718~2.jpg
    20240502_211718~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Man, this is a spot-on review.
Cant beat the cleans.
Everyone seems to boast of how stellar the clean channel is on a Shiva.

I own a 20th and the cleans on the Ultra smoke it.
I do agree with once you get your tone, leave it alone.
But I still screw with the Density knob for different flavors

Bought a new Pair of Gold Lion KT88's to add some different muscle to the Ultra.
Nice mix with the El34's

The KT88/EL34 mix is my favorite. The KT88s add a bit more to the top end, which to me is a bit lacking compared to the earlier Uberschalls when the UU is played through an 8-ohm cab (like mine). It also tightens the amp up a bit more than it already is. Now the amp can really get as tight as one could possibly want it while keeping the mids provided by the EL34s.

A questionable generalization, it seems most of my modern oriented amps use 6L6 whereas my classic oriented amps use EL34.

with the exception of Mesa; I consider my JP-2C more classic than modern, and it uses 6L6. Maybe a better distinction is Brit vs US?

First test done with Uber Ultra and it literally smokes.

The sound may actually seem "produced" but it's really a question of avoiding certain settings to make it sound more old-style.

I'm actually wondering if the choice of the EL34 was the most appropriate one for me, given the redundancy of medium and high frequencies that this amplifier enhances for being so tight. It is often quite confusing given the almost too many sound adjustments but it can be sharp as a blade and very percussive. It's worth trying them all before deciding, I probably would have preferred the 6L6 version.

Since it has been talked about on other threads, the real difference with amplifiers like Helios and Ecstasy is that this one sounds much, much more modern and oriented towards downtuning (I am not) while the others are more traditional amplifiers.

The amount of gain is really high but I guarantee that even just the first channel is enough to be adequately satisfied with the beast.

Once you have found the perfect sound, it is better not to move anything anymore because it takes very little or changing the position of a switch and the result changes completely. It is capable of wonderful but also terrible sounds. I have yet to figure out what some knobs actually do to the sound even though moving some knobs is linked to other adjustments.

And anyway it's funny that this Uber Ultra amazed me with its clean sound.

Having all three is an open-eyed (and ear) dream.
Congrats, it’s a great amp!

Just came on here to write CONGRATZ on a kickass NAD!!!

And also to let you fuckers know I've not suffered GAS in years. Seriously. At all. Whatsoever. Nada.

But this gaadaaam UberUltra, I swear I try to keep it out of my mind but it's always...ALWAYS finding its way back in. My GAS-free streak may be waning, cuz of you bastids!!!!! 🤣

Sorry Bradda,
The Ultra just has way more tone shaping on the clean compared to my 20th Shiva.
A Strat through it just kills. I'd play with it more but that 60 hertz bullcrap(Strat)on the bridge pickup noise bothers me worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Sorry Bradda,
The Ultra just has way more tone shaping on the clean compared to my 20th Shiva.
A Strat through it just kills. I'd play with it more but that 60 hertz bullcrap(Strat)on the bridge pickup noise bothers me worse than nails on a chalkboard.
Agreed. The cleans on the UU were one of the biggest surprises about the amp. Coming from the earlier Uberschalls with their meh clean channels, this was a huge improvement.

Back